There are 166 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

I just had to bump you. What a GREAT POST!

Thank you.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
VERUHRTHA FUKHTHA JÜDEH!!!

He probably caught his wife vigorously smashing her vagina with a dildo while watching Joe Montana highlights.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:
he would never say brady is overrated. Man, i would call him a certain gay slur if my warning wasn't so high.

It's like saying if Brady didn't have Adam Vinateri he wouldn't be that great and would only have won 1 Super Bowl. These writers I swear, how in the f*** do they get paid to write stuff like this.

You can't overrate a guy with 4 Super Bowl rings and that is studied and rehearsed by any and all QBs to play the game. In every teams film study you have coaches showing our Bill Walsh installation videos Montana QB drills and game day footage. Joe pretty much wrote the book on the position yet some idiots are calling him overrated. 4 is greater than ....
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

I just had to bump you. What a GREAT POST!

I love Furlow's posts too -- and believe Montana to be the greatest of all time. Whomever made the post he's underrated is just looking for a little negative reaction and nothing more.

But Montana also had this team at the doorstep in 1983, 1985, 1986 and 1987. He lost in those years.

Joe may have been the greatest QB of all time. There's no doubting that. But more than anything else? Joe was human. And nobody is perfect -- including the great Joe Montana.

That '87 team was LOADED by the way. We were the odds on favorite to win that year. When we didn't win -- that's when Walsh started to get the idea of replacing Montana with Steve Young.
So you're going to share this nonsense so it gets more views??
Originally posted by Niners99:
To them "overrated" means he gets praise as the GOAT, but didnt have the regular season numbers of a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Montana was into winning, not statistics. What makes a QB great is how he performs in the clutch, when the team needs a comeback, and during the playoffs. Montana was the best EVER in all 3 of those situations.

also, Dashon Goldson might be the most overrated 49er ever. At least in the last decade. Couldnt cover, didnt know his assignments, racked up late hits in costly moments, etc. He hit hard and forced some fumbles, but he was a detriment just as often as he was an asset. Almost a poor mans Troy Polamalu, who incidentally might be the most overrated NFL player of this generation.

Im glad the 49ers understood how mediocre Goldson really was, and let TB pay him stupid longterm money.

Tampa Bay is trying to get rid of DG's contract as we speak!
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
Originally posted by Niners99:
To them "overrated" means he gets praise as the GOAT, but didnt have the regular season numbers of a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Montana was into winning, not statistics. What makes a QB great is how he performs in the clutch, when the team needs a comeback, and during the playoffs. Montana was the best EVER in all 3 of those situations.

also, Dashon Goldson might be the most overrated 49er ever. At least in the last decade. Couldnt cover, didnt know his assignments, racked up late hits in costly moments, etc. He hit hard and forced some fumbles, but he was a detriment just as often as he was an asset. Almost a poor mans Troy Polamalu, who incidentally might be the most overrated NFL player of this generation.

Im glad the 49ers understood how mediocre Goldson really was, and let TB pay him stupid longterm money.

Tampa Bay is trying to get rid of DG's contract as we speak!

Hilarious. I hope they overpay for one of our FAs, netting us another 3rd round comp pick.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
You guys are feeding the jackals. The more controversial, outrageous or annoying the article is, the more hits it gets, discussion and fighting between posters on their site they get. which all equates to money. They don't have to be accurate, they just need to grab some idiots attention.

This is the only reason PFT is still in business. They thrive off of using their one sided bias between the Seahawks and 49ers rivalry. To insight trash talking and inaccurate stories on their boards.

This is Florio to a tee. Have you ever noticed that if its a story that critical of the 49ers its almost guaranteed that Florio wrote it. And if it's not critical, he hasn't wrote it.

if anything he has become UNDERRATED. with all of the inflated stats and fans who started watching football in 2004 there just isnt enough people with informed takes on the subject.
Joe Montana is GOD
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Joe Montana is GOD

/Thread
  • bors
  • Veteran
ummmmmm NO
Share 49ersWebzone