LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Kendall Hunter and his role in the trio of running backs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All of this newfound love for Hunter reminds me of when many on this forum wanted Tarell Brown off the team. Now everyone's riding their jocks like Brown and Hunter became good all of a sudden. They were ALWAYS good. Get a late pass.

GO NINERS!!!
I will love any player wearing red and gold so i want to prface this next statement with the fact that I like hunter. Now seriously though Hunter is way over raded on this Board... I dont see anything all that special about him as a runner... he finds the whole well enough but he is no Gore,,, he has some speed but he is no James... he has some shiftiness but he is niether James or Gore in that department... and you rarely see him break a big one where you are thinking man if he had just been faster (like james he had been gone) or if he had been able to avoid or break one more tackle like gore hed have another good chunk of yardage... overall a very average back in the NFL. I am really hoping though that James has improved a lot in strength and vision depart to not go down quite so easily and take the 2 spot clearly from hunter who I think is a mediocre NFL running back lacking the break away speed i really want as a change of pace back to gore. .. this may be just me but im rooting for mainly i Gore, James split this year not because hunter is not back I hope he comes back 100% but because I see potential in James to be a legit #2 in this leauge and i hope he passes hunter on the depth chart,
^^^ you lost me after "raded", "Board" and "whole." Sorry.
Originally posted by NCommand:

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
I will love any player wearing red and gold so i want to prface this next statement with the fact that I like hunter. Now seriously though Hunter is way over raded on this Board... I dont see anything all that special about him as a runner... he finds the whole well enough but he is no Gore,,, he has some speed but he is no James... he has some shiftiness but he is niether James or Gore in that department... and you rarely see him break a big one where you are thinking man if he had just been faster (like james he had been gone) or if he had been able to avoid or break one more tackle like gore hed have another good chunk of yardage... overall a very average back in the NFL. I am really hoping though that James has improved a lot in strength and vision depart to not go down quite so easily and take the 2 spot clearly from hunter who I think is a mediocre NFL running back lacking the break away speed i really want as a change of pace back to gore. .. this may be just me but im rooting for mainly i Gore, James split this year not because hunter is not back I hope he comes back 100% but because I see potential in James to be a legit #2 in this leauge and i hope he passes hunter on the depth chart,
hunter is the most valuable player on our offense that no one talks about in my opinion and If i understand anything of what you were trying to say,,, you seriously underestimate how good he is and how valuable he is in regards to his running style, his blocking, his catching his kick return skills, he is a complete back and if gore had to miss large chunks of the season or would retire tomorrow, I think hunter can pick up the slack and we continue with the best run game in the nfl
Originally posted by defenderDX:

laugh it up fuzzball

He is referring to this forum as a message board. It is the correct word.
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

laugh it up fuzzball

Like many teams, the Niners have developed a deep, talented backfield. Gore's lost a step, but is still effective. Still, you've got to have quality b/u and HUnter more than provides that. LMJ is frosting on the cake. Knocking on the door are Hampton and Lattimore. Kendall could arguably start for a number of teams. He'd have been a great option in the SB to run it in and win it all.
^^^ Board? Capitalized? All good...

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Like many teams, the Niners have developed a deep, talented backfield. Gore's lost a step, but is still effective. Still, you've got to have quality b/u and HUnter more than provides that. LMJ is frosting on the cake. Knocking on the door are Hampton and Lattimore. Kendall could arguably start for a number of teams. He'd have been a great option in the SB to run it in and win it all.

This is the area I'm most concerned about. Gore continues to get his yards on experience, shiftiness and determination/will but we desperately lack a home run threat. People forget had he had ANY speed at all, he's not pushed out at the 7 yard line on the final drive of the Superbowl and we're talking about whether or not the defense made the critical stop to win #6 or not. Who has that speed? Hunter, James, Hampton? Lattimore most likely won't after major knee issues.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM ]
Well, NC, LMJ has the speed, but who knows if they plan to run him between the tackles again. Jeez, I hope not. Split out the kid is dynamite, waiting to catch that backfield pass and then let the D try and lay a hand on him. If roman doesn't use that I am going to torch my TV set, box it up and send it to roman from a height of about 50 feet. LMJ is better than sproles, way better than reggie bush(and his parents didn't get any free pete carroll houses either ). Again I am more worried about what iganatz roman is going to do with LMJ. Running between tackles is a sure fire loser. Hopefully he sees the light , or better yet, JH says, split LaMic out and pass it to him.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, NC, LMJ has the speed, but who knows if they plan to run him between the tackles again. Jeez, I hope not. Split out the kid is dynamite, waiting to catch that backfield pass and then let the D try and lay a hand on him. If roman doesn't use that I am going to torch my TV set, box it up and send it to roman from a height of about 50 feet. LMJ is better than sproles, way better than reggie bush(and his parents didn't get any free pete carroll houses either ). Again I am more worried about what iganatz roman is going to do with LMJ. Running between tackles is a sure fire loser. Hopefully he sees the light , or better yet, JH says, split LaMic out and pass it to him.

Agreed, he's yet another VERY dangerous weapon with the ball in his hands, out in space. That said, in rewatching the Superbowl, it seemed James did fantastic in the VERY limited snaps he got out of the Q formation (shot gun) in between the tackles. Can you imagine if he excels in this area as well? So now you've got Gore who is the best between the the T's and both Hunter and James who can run inside or outside and you line 2 of these three up in the backfield in the Q on either side of a shotgun CK. Scary! As an ILB, who do you cover and where are they going to go? Inside? Outside? Which one? Out in the flat? Stay in to block? Just one? That line up alone could not only back off the DE/OLB's from a full rush up field but hesitate the ILB's. VD, McDonald and Boldin should have a field day!
Field day. Exactly, and for the reason stated. Hard to believe we got another TE virtually equal to Vernon, minus experience. But with that 2 back set, I agree, there is no way the ILBs will know what he heck is going to happen...hence, advantage 9ers. If JH doesn't start using LMJ in backfield passes I will break down and write him a letter. Just the thot of it basically gives vance or Vernon a clear shot completion...unless LMJ gets a pass and then....lookout. Once he blasts thru rt tackle, then the LBs will be putty, in that one set can work 3 different ways and they can't cheat. Please, Lord, let roman see this.
LMJ is our sproles, and hunter was always good
Share 49ersWebzone