There are 216 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerG94:
God you're unbelievable. Yes he's fast but he's not Vick in his prime fast and they figured out how to contain him. I just meant he has the elusiveness of a 4.3 guy. 4.5 is not that fast. He looks quicker than a 4.5 guy IMO. go back .nut where people want to hear your mess.

Wilson's 40 times ranged between 4.48 and 4.64. His official time is 4.55. That's not slow at all for a QB. His deal is that he's cat-quick - we should all know that after watching him make fools of the Niner pass rushers during that league-high 16-second scramble last season. But, what I think is athletically freakish is the fact that Kaepernick is in the same class of quickness by the numbers. Their 20 yard shuttles were very close. While Wilson is carrying around a 205 lb., 5'10.5" body, Kaepernick is moving a 6'5", 235 lb. body and he reportedly reaches top speed in three strides. That's just strange.
Wilson's a shifty little b*****d. Drove me crazy watching Niners play them late last season. I wanted to pluck him out of the television and squash him between my fingers like a booger. Couldn't catch him though.
He's way too quick. Teams are just going to have to scheme to try to contain him in a smaller area. The first key is stopping that run game so that he can't do play-action and get real deep in the pocket out in space. Then, the OLB's are going to have to try to come a little more carefully - not just try to speed around the edges - and try to stay on the outside shoulder of their blockers. And, I really want to see some of those delayed quick stunts up the middle by Bowman or Willis. I think those two have the quickness to deal with him because they're both freaks.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
He's way too quick. Teams are just going to have to scheme to try to contain him in a smaller area. The first key is stopping that run game so that he can't do play-action and get real deep in the pocket out in space. Then, the OLB's are going to have to try to come a little more carefully - not just try to speed around the edges - and try to stay on the outside shoulder of their blockers. And, I really want to see some of those delayed quick stunts up the middle by Bowman or Willis. I think those two have the quickness to deal with him because they're both freaks.

He is probably the shiftiest QB in the league.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

By far, in my opinion. Like I've posted before, he reminds me of the second coming of Fran Tarkenton and Tarkenton is in the Hall. He's a huge challenge for any defense.

By far, in my opinion. Like I've posted before, he reminds me of the second coming of Fran Tarkenton and Tarkenton is in the Hall. He's a huge challenge for any defense.
Yep
Originally posted by NinerG94:
God you're unbelievable. Yes he's fast but he's not Vick in his prime fast and they figured out how to contain him. I just meant he has the elusiveness of a 4.3 guy. 4.5 is not that fast. He looks quicker than a 4.5 guy IMO. go back .nut where people want to hear your mess.

you seem to be a bit flustered.. because you're contradicting yourself all over the place.. not trying to argue with you because you're going off gut feelings, where i'm going off stats and film amd articles and interviews. It's obvious you don't follow the Seahawks closely at all, and well..... why should you. but i do however.

And you do know there's a huge difference between being fast, being world class fast, and being quick.. Just because a guy can run a 4.3 doesn't mean he's elusive, Vick was never anywhere near as elusive as Wilson is.. those qb's i mention without the exception of Vick, did not have world class speed, some weren't even quick, they just know how to move around and extend plays. despite what you think, wilson is fast, and he's probably the most elusive QB in the game today.. so how do you game plan for that without weakening another part of your D?

futher more, please explain to me why DC's couldn't figure him out last year, they had plenty of film on him...

You're the one who made the comment without backing it up with facts so i asked you to provide me some... So when you can't you want to get angry and tell me to go back to the .NET, instead of just admitting you don't know what you're talking about.
[ Edited by hawker84 on Aug 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
How come the 49ers didn't go after Ricky Jean-Francois??? I thought he gave Russell Okung quite a battle at the Clink last year. I thought he was pretty gifted and might be a successor to Justin Smith.

Yep

Seeing how wonderful you guys think this quaterback for the Seahawks is, it's too bad he plays in the same division as a better quaterback, Colin Kaepernick, and a better team, the 49ers. Poor Russell. At least he gets a lot of love from guys like you. That should keep him warm at night.
It would be refreshing if Seahawk fans would stop pretending that they don't know what the physical difference is between Wilson and almost every other CURRENT QB out there. It's not like Wilson isn't going to be successful to some degree - he's real good. Most people around here agree that he's a real good QB. But, there is a "chink in his armor" that some defenses might be able to exploit to some degree and obviously, that's his height. I wouldn't call that "figuring him out." I would call that figuring out ways to make it tougher for him to be successful.

i'll agree with this and i don't know where i wasn't acknowleging Wilson's short, i just asked the question, why couldn't DC's stop him last year.

Every QB in the league has some weakness, what makes Wilson's situation any different? Of course DC's are going to try and take advantage of that, but the question i posed was why will they be successful against Wilson, and not Kap, Cam , RGIII, Luck and so on.. what makes Wilsons situation so unique, because he's short?

Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
How come the 49ers didn't go after Ricky Jean-Francois??? I thought he gave Russell Okung quite a battle at the Clink last year. I thought he was pretty gifted and might be a successor to Justin Smith.

A mute point now. We drafted Tank. Ricky got his payday and went somewhere else to be a starter. Was he going to get his payday and start this year in SF? No. So that answers your question.
Originally posted by hawker84:
It would be refreshing if Seahawk fans would stop pretending that they don't know what the physical difference is between Wilson and almost every other CURRENT QB out there. It's not like Wilson isn't going to be successful to some degree - he's real good. Most people around here agree that he's a real good QB. But, there is a "chink in his armor" that some defenses might be able to exploit to some degree and obviously, that's his height. I wouldn't call that "figuring him out." I would call that figuring out ways to make it tougher for him to be successful.

i'll agree with this and i don't know where i wasn't acknowleging Wilson's short, i just asked the question, why couldn't DC's stop him last year.

Every QB in the league has some weakness, what makes Wilson's situation any different? Of course DC's are going to try and take advantage of that, but the question i posed was why will they be successful against Wilson, and not Kap, Cam , RGIII, Luck and so on.. what makes Wilsons situation so unique, because he's short?

I don't believe that the anyone is saying that he is going to be completely shut down or oblitorated. The other quaterbacks you are mentioning may have a tougher time this year too. The difference is, they may be able to overcome certain things that Wilson won't. He can't get taller all of a sudden, and by all means, he isn't as talented as Brees. I expect Wilson to have a decent year, just not an electrifying year.
Originally posted by hawker84:

It's a good question. I'm sure there are things to figure out about all of them, but I'll focus on Kaepernick. I just don't see any potential weakness in him that one could scheme against other than possibly trying to confuse him with pre-snap shifts. He has great field vision and goes through his reads if he's forced to stand in the pocket. If the rush comes too hard and they get past him, he's 25 yards down the field before you can blink. He doesn't seem to get flustered at all. I'm sure there is something somebody can figure out, but I don't really know what it is. Now, it's true that he didn't look as comfortable as usual during his last outing in Seattle, so maybe there is something there. I think it was his first time there, so I want to see him there again before I draw any conclusions about what he can do against the Seahawks. After all, Wilson didn't do well in his first outing against the Niners, but the tore them up in the second. We'll see what Kaepernick's second outing looks like next month.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Aug 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM ]
Originally posted by daragon:
I don't believe that the anyone is saying that he is going to be completely shut down or oblitorated. The other quaterbacks you are mentioning may have a tougher time this year too. The difference is, they may be able to overcome certain things that Wilson won't. He can't get taller all of a sudden, and by all means, he isn't as talented as Brees. I expect Wilson to have a decent year, just not an electrifying year.
how do you know he isn't as talented as Bree's? Was Brees , his current form when he Joined the NFL..?
Originally posted by daragon:

Yep

Seeing how wonderful you guys think this quaterback for the Seahawks is, it's too bad he plays in the same division as a better quaterback, Colin Kaepernick, and a better team, the 49ers. Poor Russell. At least he gets a lot of love from guys like you. That should keep him warm at night.

I don't see how GN or I said that he was better than Kap becuase I don't think that. Nothing wrong with giving props to opposing QB's
Share 49ersWebzone