LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

49ERS EXTENDED JUSTIN SMITHS CONTRACT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Those are all young players. As a veteran, Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal. Also, when a team releases a veteran, it puts up a red flag to all the other teams in the league. They assume he might be slowing down because he was released. Justin Smith gave the team a favorable deal, but he certainly didn't have all the chips, because there are young players behind him.

Smith had a fairly nice payday when he got his first big contract with us as a free agent. Aldon and Crabs are going to get big money like that as well, because they are young.
Do you have proof of this statement? "Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal"

Apparently no proof is needed, nor is any evidence required. .

Some think that if something is theoretically or logically possible, it is automatically true.

But, I must say I do not think that it is very logical to think that that the team was going to cut Justin Smith, if he did not reduce his salary.

I think that he will play at least two more years. And he might be pulling a reverse Ray Lewis move to help motivate the team with the notion that this might be his last year...
I wonder what they're planning to do with that cap space. Maybe getting the cap room to trade for a big name in the middle of the season if one becomes available? The only big free agents left out there right now are Richard Seymour & Desmond Bishop. And the 49ers don't need a linebacker.
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Those are all young players. As a veteran, Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal. Also, when a team releases a veteran, it puts up a red flag to all the other teams in the league. They assume he might be slowing down because he was released. Justin Smith gave the team a favorable deal, but he certainly didn't have all the chips, because there are young players behind him.

Smith had a fairly nice payday when he got his first big contract with us as a free agent. Aldon and Crabs are going to get big money like that as well, because they are young.
Do you have proof of this statement? "Justin Smith was in some danger of being released to clear cap space if he refused to renegotiate his deal"

Yah, that's one of the silliest things I've ever read on Niner Talk, and that's saying something.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I wonder what they're planning to do with that cap space. Maybe getting the cap room to trade for a big name in the middle of the season if one becomes available? The only big free agents left out there right now are Richard Seymour & Desmond Bishop. And the 49ers don't need a linebacker.

Iupati?

I seriously doubt that.

Yeah, cut the best 3-4 end in the NFL, because no one will pay him $8-10 million/year in the open market. That sounds pretty logical.

Stop trying to make it seem like the 49ers did Justin a favor. Justin gave the niners a massive home team discount, and we should be grateful.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Iupati?

of course english is right,,, we take care of our own first. I chuckle at some posters who think when we get a little extra money we can go throw it at some high priced free agent. Lets just continue to follow our plan, take care of our own, draft smart,, and get the "right" type of free agent
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This reminds me of Dana Stubblefield, who left SF for Washington to sign for more. Man I really hope Aldon Smith, Michael Crabtree and Eric Reid are paying attention to Justin Smith when their times come to get paid.

Justin Smith cut? Did you see our D after he went down? Who would replace him?
Glad to see he has a few more years in him.

I highly doubt they would of cut the best 3-4 DE in the game BrianGo. That injury was his first major injury, he started a record number of games since he came into the league until he didn't suit up for the game.

We could of went on with Smith's $8M salary and be fine. Other cut candidates over a Justin Smith would of been Goodwin, Manningham(not likely with the injury clause guarantee), and Haralson(Hurt for entire 2012 season, and hasn't showed anything since big extension).
  • buck
  • Veteran
Those are relevant takeaways after getting a peek at the financial details through ESPN Stats & Information.

What Smith gets: $9.5 million in guaranteed money. That includes a $6.56 million signing bonus and a $940,000 base salary this year. The remaining $2 million in guarantees comes from 2014.

That means Smith can reasonably expect to remain with the team through the 2014 season, at least. It also means he's playing at a discount relative to his previous compensation level, provided Smith remains a dominant force.

What the 49ers get: a more than 50 percent reduction from what had been an $8 million scheduled salary-cap charge this year. Smith had been scheduled to receive $7.5 million in base salary for 2013, the final year of his previous deal.

The entire base salary would have counted against the cap. Now, only one-third of the $6.56 million bonus counts this year, along with the $940,000 in salary and a $100,000 workout bonus.

Also, the 49ers now control Smith's rights through 2015 instead of just through 2013, without sacrificing in the future as long as Smith plays through 2014.

What the future holds: Smith's deal includes a $3.15 million salary in 2014 and a $2.65 million salary in 2015. It also includes $1.4 million roster bonuses in each of those years.

Those are manageable figures for the team even if Smith isn't as dominant as he has been to this point in his 49ers career. Health permitting, Smith should play beyond the 2013 season with the 49ers. He turns 34 in September.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Originally posted by Niners23:
Yeah, cut the best 3-4 end in the NFL, because no one will pay him $8-10 million/year in the open market. That sounds pretty logical.

Stop trying to make it seem like the 49ers did Justin a favor. Justin gave the niners a massive home team discount, and we should be grateful.

The best 3-4 end in the NFL is JJ Watt.

Justin Smith is the best defender on the best defense in the NFL, though. When you have guys like Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman on that defense, that's really saying something. No chance he was in danger of being released.
its funny how people think justin smith was going to get release. the front office clearly made the move to extend him and justin smith clearly didnt hesitate to get the deal done and his agent wasnt involve lol.
What a great deal, nice work I hope he can stay healthy and can't wait to see the Tank! He's gonna learn so much from Smith, they are doin the right things here. Gotta love it!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone