LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

49ERS EXTENDED JUSTIN SMITHS CONTRACT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
my fav player on the team! Good for him, 2 more years of a BEAST
i think there's a good chance they freed up some cap room to try and extend iupati w/ this deal
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Well, if Justin negotiated his own deal, then you know that the 49ers got a great deal. Maybe not necessarily in the overall numbers, but in the escape clauses in the contract, they are probably skewed towards the 49ers.

This also has to worry the agents out there. The 49ers approach to negotiating is that they decide in advance how much they are willing to pay, and then they make their best offer at the beginning. The numbers won't go up. Negotiations are on the fringes of the contract, and deciding whether more guaranteed money is better than a larger incentive-based contract. Is it really worth it to a player to pay 3% to an agent, when an agent's impact is so minimal?
Originally posted by buck:
Baalke comments about the extension.

"Justin's All-Pro contributions on the field, as well as his leadership on and off the field, are integral to our success as a team," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement released by the team. "Justin consistently sets a standard of excellence, serving as an example for everyone within our organization. This contract allows Justin to finish his career as a 49er!"

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/102714/on-justin-smiths-new-contract-extension

Baalke and with the Niners seemed to be a stand-up guy as GM. I don't think they would lowball or put forth a contract detriment to Justin in anyway. Baalke said the same about Gore on his extension. If Gore was happy about his extension, I'm pretty sure Justin Smith is happy too-- with agent or not.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Justin has already made his money. All he wants now is a ring.
What are the odds of Justin Smith having his jersey retired, if we win a super bowl and he is productive for the next 3 seasons?
im undecided, but just curious what everyone thinks
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 21s Under 49ers DL Justin Smith's new contract, his 2013 cap figure drops from $8 million to $3.7 million, source says.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 21s Under 49ers DL Justin Smith's new contract, his 2013 cap figure drops from $8 million to $3.7 million, source says.

so does this gives us a chance to extend someone else too?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

On Justin Smith's new contract extension: He converted his $7.5M base in 2013 to a signing bonus. That cuts his cap charge from $8M to $3.7M
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
so does this gives us a chance to extend someone else too?

That's the only thing that makes sense. Iupati is up next!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 58s Thanks to Justin Smith's deal (which only guarantees him $2M in 2014), #49ers have $6.4M in salary cap space in 2013. Just in case

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1m Justin Smith, who had a $7.5M base salary this year before extension now has base of $940K this year, $3.15M next year & $2.65M in 2015
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Maybe 49ers roll over cap space, maybe they find someone to extend this summer. Lot of time before the season starts
Baalke and Maraath are salary cap wizards.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am surprised that anyone seriously thought that the extension would not be both good for Justin Smith and for the team.

From the numbers cited above, the extension seems to be good for the team and for Justin.
So Justin Smith gets a 100,000 raise this year, we save 4+ million in salary cap for this year and we get Justin Smith, if he decides to play out his contract for a discount of 4 million per year in 2014 and 2015?

Hey Justin, you just got Paraag'd

Share 49ersWebzone