LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

bold prediction for the upcoming season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not sure why anyone WOULDN'T compare James to Sproles. To me, he's potentially like a faster, quicker, more explosive version of Sproles. But, no, in this offense, he'll never get the number of receptions Sproles has gotten. I do, however, expect that a couple of the new "wrinkles" Roman is talking about will involve James. I expect some quick outs in the flat to get him in space because he's real good at juking guys. I also expect some screens because they'll be coming hard for Kaepernick this season. James' size makes him a perfect candidate to sneak out into the flat for a screen.
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes because gore turns 30 we need to turn him out to pasture and turn things over to little james and a guy coming off a bad injury, brilliant. The funny thing is, that there is no evidence at all, zero that the grim reaper is knocking on the door of gore

I thought Gore was a bad draft selection years ago because of his injury history...I won't bet against the guy again until he has officially announced his retirement...maybe a year after!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm not sure why anyone WOULDN'T compare James to Sproles. To me, he's potentially like a faster, quicker, more explosive version of Sproles. But, no, in this offense, he'll never get the number of receptions Sproles has gotten. I do, however, expect that a couple of the new "wrinkles" Roman is talking about will involve James. I expect some quick outs in the flat to get him in space because he's real good at juking guys. I also expect some screens because they'll be coming hard for Kaepernick this season. James' size makes him a perfect candidate to sneak out into the flat for a screen.

when we drafted him i said we'd use him like a darren sproles and i got flamed for it, lol.
Kyle Williams will have 1100+ yards and 10+ tds.....book it.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
when we drafted him i said we'd use him like a darren sproles and i got flamed for it, lol.

Well, that's just strange, IMO. Just look at him, his speed, quickness, size and skill set. He's got Darren Sproles written all over him. He didn't really have an off-season last year. If people recall, he had to hang around in Eugene until he was done with college. This year, they've got the entire off season to integrate him into the offense and Roman has been talking about "new wrinkles" all off season. He did enough even with a work-in-progress approach last season to demonstrate that he can be explosive in the NFL. I think we'll start seeing what Harbaalke had in mind drafting him this season.
Vernon gets 1000+ yds.....

Thats because he is nothign like Darren Sproles. Not remotely from the same mold.

Well, that's just strange, IMO. Just look at him, his speed, quickness, size and skill set. He's got Darren Sproles written all over him. He didn't really have an off-season last year. If people recall, he had to hang around in Eugene until he was done with college. This year, they've got the entire off season to integrate him into the offense and Roman has been talking about "new wrinkles" all off season. He did enough even with a work-in-progress approach last season to demonstrate that he can be explosive in the NFL. I think we'll start seeing what Harbaalke had in mind drafting him this season.

Its not strange, because him and Sproles are nothing alike. Nothing. I understand the want to make comparisons based on size and measurables, but LMJ and Sproles are built from two different molds.
The NFL will continue to make billions

And continue to not provide medical care to former players

Concussions will be given lip service

We won't care and gobble it up
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
Aj Jenkins 1000 yards

Hoping to see this.

hmmmmmmmm that is bold. very bold, i'm going to trump you with:

AJ JENKINS!!
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
The NFL will continue to make billions

And continue to not provide medical care to former players

Concussions will be given lip service

We won't care and gobble it up

• buck
  • Veteran
Ahmad Brooks will get 12 sacks.

Aldon Smith will lead the team with 24 sacks.
Originally posted by buck:
Ahmad Brooks will get 12 sacks.

Aldon Smith will lead the team with 24 sacks.

That is BOLD. I don't see either happening but would be overjoyed if it did.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Sorry I missed that error. I meant to say strictly receiving stats not backs. I have no complaints about frank gore as a runner or a blocker. This simply was about his hands. So which source is more reliable between the 2? Either way I'm not buying because I've seen frank gore drop some very easy passes due to a lack of concentration. Not saying he is inadequate because he is decent, I just think james and hunter will be better in the future. That and the fact that there's 2 of them and both will get their touches.

I think Gore has better hands than you think he does.

In one the posts, #98, I gave the stats for Gore over the last five years.

His catch rate is 76.42%. His drop rate (number of drops/targets) is 8.54%.

You can accept those numbers or you can reject them, but as far as I know Pro Football Focus is a reliable source.

A reception is a reception. On the other hand, there is a degree of subjectivity in determining what is a drop and what is not a drop.

His catch rate is not affected by subjectivity of those keeping the stats. Looking at the two stats together makes more sense.

I think that his hands are good enough for him to be a positive factor in the passing game next year.

I do not know if James and Hunter will be better than Gore in the passing game in the future, but then neither do you.

So we will have to see what happens in the future--and you have to admit that this future that you are talking about is rather vague.

We might have to wait a long time.

We're talking about recent stats not stats over the last 5 years. In the 2 previous years under harbaugh he's had a total of 10 drops and around a 15% drop rate according to the first source. I'm not talking about gore being completed phased out of the passing game. I'm saying that the hunter/james combo will combine for more receptions than gore. They are more agile and better suited IMO to succeed in the passing game than gore. Gore is shifty between the tackle and even in space, just not as elusive as James or Hunter IMO. I think gore will be a positive factor in the passing game, but so was delanie last year. Yeah they both drop some balls, but they also make plays. I just think the combo of james and hunter will be more of a positive factor than gore this year, that's all.

I was surprised to see he only had 4 drops this year. I could've sworn he dropped a few more but apparently not. There is just no excuse for dropping easy swing passes that are 5 yards away from the qb. It's a lack of concentration and turning your head too quickly to get ready for contact.
Share 49ersWebzone