LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Our Defensive Coordinator, Vic Fangio

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well Roman I think is one of the better OC minds I just think he struggles with in game calling. I mean we can do a lot lot worse; if we got rid of him we have to have a guy who would be an upgrade. Can't just dump him to dump him. Solari I'm up in the air on, he's not doing a bad job but he doesn't make me think he is one of the best in the league like his reputation says. Boone has done a 180 but I think most of that was him. Our OL is very talented but we underachieve at times. Has Solari really developed any late picks? As for WR's when is the last time we developed one or a FA has worked out? Sure the players like Morton but I'm not very high on him. Part of it is play calling too; we aren't a throwing team. TE coach has changed a lot; the coaches have done decent there. Rathman can have the RB job or a place on our staff as long as he wants. He is the exception. So it's a solid staff but I think we could do better. Wouldn't be easy but there are better out there. Other than Rathman I wouldn't be too upset if any of them left.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Fangio received a raise and a one year extension.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/49ers-give-vic-fangio-contract-extension-through-2015.html

Well deserved.

One thing that George Siefert had over Fangio is that George can draft DB's. I don't think Fangio has 1. drafted well on the DB side or 2. devoted enough resources to shore up our DBs using high round picks. Eric Reid is a good start, but I'd like him to concentrate more on getting better DB's than putting so much draft capital on the Linebacking side.

It's a passing league nowadays, specially in the post season, and having great linebackers is good for the regular season where you have a lot of teams that suck at passing and their bread and butter is running, but our weak secondary has been really hurting us in the post season.
Originally posted by Giedi:
One thing that George Siefert had over Fangio is that George can draft DB's. I don't think Fangio has 1. drafted well on the DB side or 2. devoted enough resources to shore up our DBs using high round picks. Eric Reid is a good start, but I'd like him to concentrate more on getting better DB's than putting so much draft capital on the Linebacking side.

It's a passing league nowadays, specially in the post season, and having great linebackers is good for the regular season where you have a lot of teams that suck at passing and their bread and butter is running, but our weak secondary has been really hurting us in the post season.

The defense was healthy this year and balled as well as 2011. The offense didn't get it done. 2012 we were injured up front. This year we shut down Rodgers. 177 yards passing!
Good move! He'll earn his pay this year for sure on that back end!
Fangio's recognized as one of the best DC's in the NFL...by some pretty prestigious analysts, former players and coaches. It's one thing to have talent...it's another to coach them in such a way that they can be consistently successful. Kudos to Harbaugh for championing for him to get a raise and an extension...very well deserved in my book.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Fangio received a raise and a one year extension.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/49ers-give-vic-fangio-contract-extension-through-2015.html

Well deserved.

Since when does Fangio choose who we draft.
Fangio has input I'm sure in drafting DB's an other D players. BUT he doesn't draft them - Baalke does that.

That said - he deserved a raise.

Is he perfect? NO WAY!

Sometimes his calls are frustrating as hell. But he is still a pretty good coach.
Now time to give Greg Roman an extension.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My brother cciowa might extend his middle finger
Since when does Fangio choose who we draft.

This post is deserving of no less than 4 Tyrone's.

• buck
  • Veteran

Baalke is in charge of the draft. I am sure that Fangio works with Baalke and gives his input, but we really do not enough information to even guess about the drafting ability of Fangio.

Assume what we may, we do not even know who was the main force behind the selection of Reid.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

The defense was healthy this year and balled as well as 2011. The offense didn't get it done. 2012 we were injured up front. This year we shut down Rodgers. 177 yards passing!

Three years in a row we lose in the playoffs and I think a big part of the loss is the lack of good DB's. That's just my view. Just this last one against the Seattle SeaRoids, if the Jermaine Kearse go ahead TD was better defensed, we'd be in the super bowl, and most likely have won against the Broncos. We seem to have the Bronco's number in super bowls. I think an adjustment in defensive philosophy, or at least a re-examination of it is in order. I think they way the draft this year will be an indication of a possible change in philosophy or an adjustment of the dome patrol defense.
[ Edited by Giedi on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:25 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Baalke is in charge of the draft. I am sure that Fangio works with Baalke and gives his input, but we really do not enough information to even guess about the drafting ability of Fangio.

Assume what we may, we do not even know who was the main force behind the selection of Reid.

George Seifert didn't draft either until he took over from Walsh. By then his defenses won 4 super bowls.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Fangio has input I'm sure in drafting DB's an other D players. BUT he doesn't draft them - Baalke does that.

That said - he deserved a raise.

Is he perfect? NO WAY!

Sometimes his calls are frustrating as hell. But he is still a pretty good coach.

I think he is a great LB talent evaluator, just as Jim Harbaugh is one on the QB position. I'm sure each coach has their particular skill set or unique talent otherwise they would not be in the NFL. I think the Dome Patrol defense where the defense is centered around Linebackers is flawed when faced with great passing attacks in the post season. It's a strong defense, no doubt about it, the New Orlean saints had a great run from '86 to '92 - but again, between a defensive scheme centered on DB's and D Lines vs. LB's - George's defense won 4 superbowls whereas the Dome Patrol didn't really make a good showing despite it being quite a disruptive defense when matched up to the WCO in it's heyday.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
My brother cciowa might extend his middle finger

Too late; done in 2013 through 2015.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone