LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Solution(s) to losing Crabs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Team49ers:
LaMichael James also has great speed and great hands, another option.

you would actually have to have a offensive coordinator who would actually know how to use someone like james in the most effective way possible. god forbid roman would think about throwing a screen pass to james or hunter. the evils of a screen pass to our fast backs , its the scourge of our times
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
LaMichael James also has great speed and great hands, another option.

you would actually have to have a offensive coordinator who would actually know how to use someone like james in the most effective way possible. god forbid roman would think about throwing a screen pass to james or hunter. the evils of a screen pass to our fast backs , its the scourge of our times

With you on that 100%...can't believe "Mr Wrinkle" cant throw a couple in here and there.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
With you on that 100%...can't believe "Mr Wrinkle" cant throw a couple in here and there.

I'll be very surprised if we don't see a few ways they can get James in space with the ball this season. They were working him in during the season last year. This year, they've got an entire off-season with him.
James was phenomenal running out of the backfield in the redzone in college...one of the reasons Harbaugh wanted him. I think they will move him around but would not be surprised if they had Gore and James in the backfield inside the twenty. Both can be effective receivers and both are tough runners. James seemed to disappear into the line and pop out in the endzone...this is the NFL and not as simple, but...maybe!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
the solution

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 13s More receiver reinforcements: The 49ers signed WR Brandon Carswell to a two-year contract, the team announced.
cc, I am still not sure that with mangini here, roman may come around to using LMJ like the saints used Reggie Bush....also the same way sproles was used. Having a RB who gets a pass in backfield , either as a bailout or as a planned play is one thing. Having the receiver be LMJ is quite another. I was sure that is why JH drafted him...specifically with the reggie bush/sproles model in mind. Boy, was I ever wrong....which in retrospect, makes me once again wonder about just exactly how smart is roman. No question we lumped up on some teams, eg, New England. Then a few days later we get crushed by SEA. I still see LMJ as the answer to no crbs. Also, I am a lot higher on our receivers than others are. We have a helluva bunch of good passcatchers: boldin, Patton, Lockette, frank, Vernon, Vance, AJ, and .....LMJ. That is a very respectable stable of "pass catchers". Our problem is having an OC that THINKS to use these guys. Sure, I like roman, but he has sure put up some stinkers too. The non-use of LMJ for either passes behind LOS or maybe a yard over LOS is to me, pure waste of an incredibly talented guy , LMJ in space. I don't think there are a lot of LBs or DBs out there that can catch him, one on one.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
cc, I am still not sure that with mangini here, roman may come around to using LMJ like the saints used Reggie Bush....also the same way sproles was used. Having a RB who gets a pass in backfield , either as a bailout or as a planned play is one thing. Having the receiver be LMJ is quite another. I was sure that is why JH drafted him...specifically with the reggie bush/sproles model in mind. Boy, was I ever wrong....which in retrospect, makes me once again wonder about just exactly how smart is roman. No question we lumped up on some teams, eg, New England. Then a few days later we get crushed by SEA. I still see LMJ as the answer to no crbs. Also, I am a lot higher on our receivers than others are. We have a helluva bunch of good passcatchers: boldin, Patton, Lockette, frank, Vernon, Vance, AJ, and .....LMJ. That is a very respectable stable of "pass catchers". Our problem is having an OC that THINKS to use these guys. Sure, I like roman, but he has sure put up some stinkers too. The non-use of LMJ for either passes behind LOS or maybe a yard over LOS is to me, pure waste of an incredibly talented guy , LMJ in space. I don't think there are a lot of LBs or DBs out there that can catch him, one on one.

I think Mangini will very much sharpen Romans blades. I read a transcript of Roman and he said that Mangini is essentially a collaborator. I think we're going to see a much more comprehensive game plan. I personally think Mangini was the smartest move they made this offseason. We're going to see alot more of LMJ this year too. Hea bulked up alot and he adds a speed to our offense that ia going to.be very valuable down the stretch
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

For those asking about Austin Collie's visit with the 49ers, I'm told it went very well. Nothing immediate because of pending vacations
[ Edited by Jcool on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM ]
the solution to loosing crabs will be smashmouth football... toot toot! here comes the run game!! i hear were pretty good at it..
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey, I liked Delanie....right up to the time when he dropped the ball. And then again. And again. Sure he made some nice catches, nice moves , blocked well, but the drops, and there were many, just flat azz killed us. And many of those occurred on 3rd down, or RZ. He could be great....or he could be bad. And which Delanie showed up each game day was hard to say. If a guy is a receiver, TE or WR, or RB, and you can only count on him sometimes...then you got the wrong guy playing that position....and THAT was Delanie. Some good days, some bad. Unfortunately, in the BIG LEAGUES, that isn't good enough. Rally killer comes to mind. For all his really good days, dropping a ball that just had to be caught ....well, that wiped out his good days. I wish him well, but just not here.

agree with doc. i am just very happy to see, at this point in time,, the team has not opted to sign some old has been like owens or moss or some diva like miss lloyd. i love the fact that, just like the safety position,, they will throw all of the guys and kids together in one big pot and let them duke it out! that is fun and that brings out the best in everyone

Totally agree with the Delanie statement. Not sure why everyone is predicting doom and gloom by losing him. Is it really a longshot to expect our Gronk Jr =

Vance 6'4" - 267 lbs, 34.375 - Arm Length, 10.125 - Hand Size, 4.69 - Forty, 33.5 - Vert, 9'11" - Broad, 4.53 - Short Shuttle, 7.08 - 3 Cone,
31 - Reps at 225
Gronk 6'6" - 258 lbs, 34.25 - Arm Length, 10.75 - Hand Size, 4.68 - Forty, 33.5 - Vert, 9'11" - Broad, 4.47 - Short Shuttle, 7.18 - 3 Cone,
23 - Reps at 225

To put up similar numbers to what Walker did last year?

21 catches
344 yards
3TD

That's less than 2 catches and 21.5 yards per game......plus a TD every 5th game.

Im gonna go "out on a limb" and say Vance outproduces Walker's 2012 numbers in his rookie year.

Looks like our boy is starting to pick up the system........

Vance McDonald – Five catches during team drills, and three of those catches were flat-out spectacular. Twice he twisted his body in the air and caught passes thrown behind him. Once he ran a wheel route deep down the left sideline and caught an overthrown pass with his fingertips. He made each catch look easy. He did not drop any passes. He clearly is the 49ers' No.2 tight end. Neither Garrett Celek or MarQueis Gray are in McDonald's class.

I think Jimbo is salivating over the possibilities of VD and VMcD this year....

Q: It seemed like Colin Kaepernick and the first team offense really ended practice with a flourish.

HARBAUGH: They sure did. They were really sharp there. Colin has been on it all offseason. That period especially was outstanding. Saw Vance McDonald on his birthday making some spectacular grabs. We have to have more Vance McDonald birthdays. He was outstanding.

Now I don't want to put the horse before the cart, but if one of the young guys can provide the deep threat that Moss did last year and put up similar numbers =

28 Catches
434 Yards
3 TD

While Vance out produces what Walker did last year......AND VD/Kap click like they did in the playoffs......AND Boldin can be that chain mover....I think our passing O will be just fine.

That's a lot of question marks for sure, but completely possible.

Still..........damn we would have been DANGEROUS with Crabs this year.

Originally posted by GNielsen:

I'll be very surprised if we don't see a few ways they can get James in space with the ball this season. They were working him in during the season last year. This year, they've got an entire off-season with him.

I really hope so. I mentioned it earlier in this thread....the Harbaugh/Roman offense in Stanford and SF just does not throw it to the backs. With guys like Gore, James and Hunter, plus our athletic line and great blocking WR's, those guys should be MAJOR contributors out in the flats.

Gore - 28
Miller - 12
Hunter - 9
James - 3

Looking back on the 09 and 10 seasons at Stanford, neither Gerhart (11) or Taylor (28) caught many balls.

Unless there is a great shift in offensive philosophy, I do not think we can expect our backs to be major contributors in the pass game. Still, if we are always self evaluating and gearing the offense towards the players talents, as they always say, then its a no brainer to get those guys the ball out on the edge.

How on Earth do we see the "Fly Sweep" several times and not a single screen pass?? crazy

Vance McDonald – Five catches during team drills, and three of those catches were flat-out spectacular. Twice he twisted his body in the air and caught passes thrown behind him. Once he ran a wheel route deep down the left sideline and caught an overthrown pass with his fingertips. He made each catch look easy. He did not drop any passes. He clearly is the 49ers' No.2 tight end. Neither Garrett Celek or MarQueis Gray are in McDonald's class.

Q: It seemed like Colin Kaepernick and the first team offense really ended practice with a flourish.

HARBAUGH: They sure did. They were really sharp there. Colin has been on it all offseason. That period especially was outstanding. Saw Vance McDonald on his birthday making some spectacular grabs. We have to have more Vance McDonald birthdays. He was outstanding.

Now I don't want to put the horse before the cart, but if one of the young guys can provide the deep threat that Moss did last year and put up similar numbers =

28 Catches
434 Yards
3 TD

While Vance out produces what Walker did last year......AND VD/Kap click like they did in the playoffs......AND Boldin can be that chain mover....I think our passing O will be just fine.

Agree, but think this team will still be dangerous until Crabtree gets back and then... Super Bowl! McDonald was my favorite pick going into this year and I really hope he is the counter punch to VD that has been lacking. Walker may be missed more for his blocking and high IQ in the system, but McD will get there at least by the playoffs.

Really hope that either Jenkins or Patton can be the starter next to Boldin and add that deep threat, but would be happy if anyone else steps up as well--Williams, Lockette, Moore...whoever!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

28 Catches
434 Yards
3 TD

Agree, but think this team will still be dangerous until Crabtree gets back and then... Super Bowl! McDonald was my favorite pick going into this year and I really hope he is the counter punch to VD that has been lacking. Walker may be missed more for his blocking and high IQ in the system, but McD will get there at least by the playoffs.

Really hope that either Jenkins or Patton can be the starter next to Boldin and add that deep threat, but would be happy if anyone else steps up as well--Williams, Lockette, Moore...whoever!

I'm with you buddy, I was pumping up Vance before and after the draft. He's a MONSTER! Here's a great article on Vance, this was before his big day yesterday.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jim-harbaugh-vernon-davis-vance-mcdonald-sf-49ers-tight-ends/
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
moore will be the surprise of them all in my opinion, both at wide out, special teams returning kicks
moore will be the surprise of them all in my opinion, both at wide out, special teams returning kicks

I'm marking it down cciowa, you are in the book for Moore +1!
Share 49ersWebzone