LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Solution(s) to losing Crabs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Laurent Robinson might be worth a look. He's battled injuries/concussions, but when healthy, is a proven playmaker. He'd probably be cheap too which is ideal for us right now since we don't have much cap space. Not sure if there are many other legit vet options out there.

I wouldn't add anybody. I would put Lockette on the 53. Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Jenkins, Patton and Lockette.

They wouldn't have to guarantee any of his salary at this point. He would be brought in to compete in camp, and if he beats out some of the younger guys, so be it. If the younger guys beat him out, they're better players for it having earned the spot. There's ZERO downside to bringing in a veteran at this point.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
This thread is high comedy. Some of you are really freakout artists. It's the fricking first day of OTA's. They've got months to figure out a variety of alternatives to Kaepernick to Crabtree for a first down.

stop trying to reason with us, the season is over I'm not even gonna watch the games.

Thank you. That's good advice. I'll just shut up and let everyone have a hemorrhage. Have fun everyone!
The solution is Boldin. He's a possession Wr that will get you yards after the catch just like Crab.

It's only a bonus Boldin shows up in the clutch when you need a big first down.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by GameOver:

ugh
Brandon Loyd
Good hands.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Not scurred....

I'd rather stick with the guys we have now...
Boldin
AJ
Lockette
Patton
K. Williams (he back on time)
Manningham (be available a little later)

Tight Ends and RBs/FBs that can catch

Injuries are never good, but at least it happened early... FO has time to work out a plan.

I can't wait for Roman to use that designer play where he has (Kaep throw the ball high/deep and runs down to catch it himself)

AJ, Lockette, and Patton have a whopping 2 catches between the 3 of them in the NFL. Not to mention our 2nd string TE has never played a down yet. Lots of question marks

Still early... I'll panic when the FO let's us down (Big IF)... besides, Kaep can just throw it to himself

I believe Kaep/Harbaugh will make those other wide receivers good. Just like Brady/Belichick makes dump trucks look like sports cars...
Originally posted by ivanm05:
Dude, you don't just find a replacement like that.. You can draw up all the plays you want .. you need the players that have the knack for getting critical plays.. theres a reason it was crabtree and not vernon or manningham.. aj.. moss... you can't simply replace that.. we don't have aaron rodgers or his passing scheme where everything is gonna be ok no matter who goes down.. i believe it was crabtree more than it was the system.. you don't just plug in different players and expect the same results.. if that was the case, no one would be sweating it.. we havn't proved that its the system that gets a ton 1st downs.. if it were alex smith would be just as effecient as kaep was

To the bolded section: really? Because what I saw is Crabtree pretty much exploding when Kaepernick started playing QB. Kaepernick makes everyone better because he gets the ball there quickly and accurately. Crabtree was good, but he wasn't fantastic before he started catching passes from Kaepernick.
cus he needed a qb.. i agree.. but what other wide receiver flourished under kaep homie.. we still don't know what kaep is going to look like without crabtree.. we can both agree on that.. what i'm saying is that THERE IS A REASON why crabtree was the one making all those first downs.. and we can't say it was just Kaep.. dude, tell which other player on this roster has the moves after the catch crabtree has..a ton of those 1st downs were crabtree making moves after the catch and gaining yards for that 1st down.. thats not the system homie.. that was crabtree,.. good luck replacing that..
I like our young guys, They either step up or we'll just run the ball like crazy!!!! Also IF Need be can James split out and be used as a wr?
Please stop with the TO talk. He may look the same, but he's a lot slower and as we found out watching the Seahawks in preseason last year, he still hasn't worked on his hands. He still drops passes that any receiver should make with his eyes closed. Nightmare for corners? Not in this decade.

It never ends on the zone. He could be 45 years old I bet someone will still mention his name.

Some people just can't let go.
There are plenty of guys out there that we can bring in to contribute. Henderson, Lloyd, Doucet, Breaston. No, none as good as Crabtree but definitely serviceable competition for the young guys. I still like Boldin and Manningham (when he returns) as a nice 1/2 ... throw in a guy like Lloyd with Patton and Jenkins and it should be enough of a WR corps to compliment our running game.

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
How did it happen?
It would be cool to see Patton come in and have an immediate impact the way Colston did with the Saints when he was a rookie!!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
We really don't have any $$ to go and get another #1 WR.

It's time for AJ to step up. And hopefully either Patton or Lockette will come up big this year.

Also, we probably rely heavily on TE sets.

Do you realize how bleak that sounds? Were going to rely on A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, and Quentin Patton to step up? They have a combined 2 NFL receptions between the 3 of them. All 3 have NEVER caught a pass as a 49er.

Kyle Williams better step it up, because if old man Boldin isnt a pro bowler this year, were in deep trouble.

Definitely not ideal, but maybe he can come back by the end of the season. Still, our WR situation went from really solid to very mediocre over night.
Originally posted by mattster03:
Somebody give us a %chance this is just a sprain...

I'm just recovering from a torn achillies myself. When you rupture your achillies you hear a loud POP and you know what's happened. I'm not a doctor but assuming this is what's happened the chances of just a tear are under 5%. Plus it's an easy injury to diagnose. They lay you down on a table face down and sqeeze at the mid calf. If the foot doesn't move then you have an achillies tear. It's called the Thompson Test.
shift Lawrence Okoye to flanker
Share 49ersWebzone