LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by davidb:
I don't agree that its that obvious that Tolzien is going to be cut. Tolzien plays a very special role on the 49ers . . . he is the scout team quarterback. Apparently he is very good at it too. Last year someone named Darin Gantt wrote on September 3, 2012, "The 49ers didn't necessarily keep the best player in the preseason as their third quarterback. They kept the one that could help them the most in the regular season."

Also Matt Barrows pointed out, at about the same time, that "the disparity in preseason stats doesn't explain why the 49ers kept Scott Tolzien over Josh Johnson as their third behind Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Tolzien has taken his role as the scout team QB in practice as his niche. . . . The 49ers trust him as an extra set of eyes, and he's good enough to simulate Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and so on in practice."

So, the question now probably is whether BJ Daniels ability to simulate Russell Wilson is more valuable than Tolzien's ability to simulate Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford.

I seriously doubt Daniels beats Tolzien.

He may not have to! I think McCoy is the odd man out here. B.J. can simulate Wilson as the #3 and add ST value (versatility). But let's be real. I f CK goes down, who do you want in as QB? Tolzien with three years of experience in OUR offense or McCoy who has had 1 pre season? Tolzien will remain the #2 and it's between McCoy/Daniels to battle it out for the #3 IMHO. Tolzien even beat out Harbaugh's boy in Johnson last year...no reason to think otherwise this year.

I really believe Tolzien is #2. Why would he keep him and not Johnson who was one of Harbaugh's college QB's? He obviously likes a lot about Tolzien. I don't think McCoy is any better than Tolzien.

Kaep
Tolzien
#3?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by paulk205:
I can't see us carrying only 7 OLinemen in the 53! In the 46 perhaps, but a whole season on seven linemen? 8-9 is the likeliest number.

Yeah, not a big Adam Snyder fan but hardly doubt he gets cut since he can play all 5 spots on the line in a pinch. I can see him and possibly a 3rd tackle making it so 8 or 9.

He was definitely brought in to be our 3rd tackle. The coaches know how lucky we were last season, we can't play Russian Roulette again with a Super Bowl roster. We certainly don't need multiple backups at S, OLB, ILB, RB, TE, WR, more than we need ONE backup at OT. Boone is already a year out of practice at OT. This is not a position to fool around with.
I think we should have used a day 1-2 pick on a OT, but oh well.

Why would keeping 2 backup ILB and OLB be bad, injuries happen, Bowman, Willis, Aldon and Brooks could get hurt anytime. TE makes sense too, Vernon and Vance are locks, but an extra H-Back like Gray or TE like Celek, or both and cu Dixon.

It's called depth, need it to survive in the nfl.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Can guarantee you Kyle Williams will be on the roster this year.

He's not going anywhere.

This this this!

Those and these too.

Oh yeah? If we keep 6? Who gets pushed off? How many 3+ WR formations are we expecting with Davis and McDonald on the field? And if Williams is on, who gets pushed off...AJ? Patton? Lockette? Manningham? He could be added and Manningham cut. Or added until Manningham comes off PUP?

It's not as straight-forward as we think...which is a good thing!

WR's (backup)
Michael Crabtree (Mario Manningham - PUP)
Anquan Boldin (Ricardo Lockette)
A.J. Jenkins (Quinton Patton)
Kyle Williams - ?
Marlon Moore - Gone unless he flashes greatness as a returner AND as a consistent deep threat.
Chad Hall - Gone
Joe Hastings - Gone
Chuck Jacobs - Gone

The problem is that the Zone has already crowned Lockette & Patton for doing... wait for it...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Kyle Williams, meanwhile, has proven himself as a weapon in the passing game & can also return kicks.

Even if you disagree with that, you have to acknowledge that fans like you are handing Lockette & Patton roster spots without any evidence that they can actually play.
The problem is that the Zone has already crowned Lockette & Patton for doing... wait for it...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Kyle Williams, meanwhile, has proven himself as a weapon in the passing game & can also return kicks.

Even if you disagree with that, you have to acknowledge that fans like you are handing Lockette & Patton roster spots without any evidence that they can actually play.

The same can be said for AJ Jenkins, and yeah I get it he was a first round pick. Me personally I'd like all six to make it, Crabs, Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton and Lockette given our injury history the past two seasons at WR. Then when Manningham gets healthy, trade whichever reciever is sucking most, or Manningham himself
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
As much as I am not a Haralson fan, he redid his deal, and should be considered a lock right now, unless Lemonier wows the staff/brass

Also no way 7 WRs stick, and only 7 OL.

Didn't we only stick with 7 OL last year?

I don't imagine they deviate from that since no position is really up for grabs. I was hesitant to have 7 WR, but two years in a row, we have been gimped at WR going into the playoffs. I am thinking they might keep an extra this year.

Haralson is a bubble guy for me, just forgot to include him.
Originally posted by SD49ers:
I dont' think that Hampton, Brock, or Johnson will make it. Hopefully Cooper, Bynowski or Snyder and Flemming. Best case would be Cooper, Bynowski and Adonis. They have lots of upside.

Your taking 3 rookies on the 53 over...

Brock - not a stud, but a solid backup
Hampton - role player and ST guy
Johnson - showed good things last year until he got hurt and progressed well near the end of the season

All six guys are likely on the bubble.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
As much as I am not a Haralson fan, he redid his deal, and should be considered a lock right now, unless Lemonier wows the staff/brass

Also no way 7 WRs stick, and only 7 OL.

Didn't we only stick with 7 OL last year?

I don't imagine they deviate from that since no position is really up for grabs. I was hesitant to have 7 WR, but two years in a row, we have been gimped at WR going into the playoffs. I am thinking they might keep an extra this year.

Haralson is a bubble guy for me, just forgot to include him.

8 last year were kept. All 7 you have plus Leonard Davis. Looney was inactive every week.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by paulk205:
I can't see us carrying only 7 OLinemen in the 53! In the 46 perhaps, but a whole season on seven linemen? 8-9 is the likeliest number.

Yeah, not a big Adam Snyder fan but hardly doubt he gets cut since he can play all 5 spots on the line in a pinch. I can see him and possibly a 3rd tackle making it so 8 or 9.

He was definitely brought in to be our 3rd tackle. The coaches know how lucky we were last season, we can't play Russian Roulette again with a Super Bowl roster. We certainly don't need multiple backups at S, OLB, ILB, RB, TE, WR, more than we need ONE backup at OT. Boone is already a year out of practice at OT. This is not a position to fool around with.
I think we should have used a day 1-2 pick on a OT, but oh well.

Why would keeping 2 backup ILB and OLB be bad, injuries happen, Bowman, Willis, Aldon and Brooks could get hurt anytime. TE makes sense too, Vernon and Vance are locks, but an extra H-Back like Gray or TE like Celek, or both and cu Dixon.

It's called depth, need it to survive in the nfl.

Exactly. Which is why we need a backup OT. Why thoroughly backup other positions with multiple players, yet have no backup at OT?
1. Okoye makes the 53
2. BJ Daniels wins the #3 spot
3. Lockette makes it and contributes
4. Looney wins battle and starts at center, Goodwin gets cut
5. Culliver takes the slot corner role
6. AJ Jenkins wins #3 and proves lots of us wrong
7. Asomugha starts over Rogers, who then wants to be traded and gets his wish
8. None of our draft picks gets cut, they either make the team or ps or IR (Latt)
9. Nick Moody isn't just a special teamer, he's Willis and Bows backup and gets playing time
10. Darryl Morris takes Brock or Cox spot
If BJ takes the 3 spot, who takes the 2?

Personally I hope Tolzien because I'm not a fan of Mccoy, but I think it will be the latter
Originally posted by 49ers808:
1. Okoye makes the 53
8. None of our draft picks gets cut, they either make the team or ps or IR (Latt)
9. Nick Moody isn't just a special teamer, he's Willis and Bows backup and gets playing time
I'd love it if most of that happened. I'd lie to see Goodwin stay another year and Rogers bounce back. I'd love to see what they could do with BJ. Culliver takes another step. AJ, please show up. I think everyone from our draft will maker the 53 or PS. Feelin' good about the 9ers right now. I'll add another bold prediction. Kap will continue to vex d's, win the super bowl and make the pro bowl. Kap will eventually be a HOFer.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SD49ers:
I dont' think that Hampton, Brock, or Johnson will make it. Hopefully Cooper, Bynowski or Snyder and Flemming. Best case would be Cooper, Bynowski and Adonis. They have lots of upside.

Your taking 3 rookies on the 53 over...

Brock - not a stud, but a solid backup
Hampton - role player and ST guy
Johnson - showed good things last year until he got hurt and progressed well near the end of the season

All six guys are likely on the bubble.
Yep, still would. The only one I'm interested in is Hampton. They'll keep Paris over Cam. Lemon is raw, don't need two projects at OLB. Brock=burned. Time to bring in someone with more up side.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
1. Okoye makes the 53

Could totally see both Goodwin and Rogers playing for different teams this season. Those moves also make sense because it would save us around 9.2 million dollars, allowing us to work on extensions.....
  • buck
  • Veteran

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Rookies by definition have done nothing and often get a roster spot, so handing Patton a roster spot is hardly strange.

I also think that Lockette is on the bubble. Although, I do think the idea that Kyle Williams has proven himself is a bit of a stretch.

Here is my breakdown:

Locks

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. AJ Jenkins
4. Quinton Patton

My evidence in support of making Patton a lock is his college career. Patton played in 25 college games.
He had 183 catches for 2,594 yards and 24 scores. He averaged 14.2 yards a reception.
His wide receiver production grade (combined percentages of a teams receiving yards and touchdowns) was off the charts.

Patton earned a 79.32.

Justin Hunter (47.34) and Cordarelle Patterson (34.83) combined had a production grade of 82.17.

Wild Card

5. Manningham

If Manningham were not injured, he would be a lock to the make the team.
Manningham has played in 61 games and started 38 of those games.
He has had 202 receptions for 2,764 yards (13.7 Average) and 19 scores.

Bubble
Kyle Williams--29 games, 35 receptions, 461 yards (13.2 Average), 4 scores.
Marlon Moore--29 games, 12 receptions, 244 yards (20.3 Average), 2 scores.
Chad Hall—15 games, 14 receptions, 135 yards (9.6 Average), 2 scores.
Ricardo Lockette—2 games, 2 receptions, 105 yards (52.5 Average), 1 score.

Since we do not know what will happen with Manningham, it is difficult to know if the bubble players are fighting for one or two spots on the roster.
As far as I can tell, the bubble battle will be waged in organized team activities and training camp.

Both Kyle Williams and Chad Hall have experience returning punts, which may give them some advantage in the upcoming fight for a roster spot.

In 29 regular season games, Kyle Williams has returned 9 punts for 109 yards (12.1 Average).
In 15 regular season games, Chad Hall has returned 10 punts for 107 yards (10.7 Average).

Share 49ersWebzone