LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My list: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173083-2013-final-roster/

Good questions NC. So many want late round and undrafted players to make the final squad...seldom happens on a veteran, stacked team. Possible but not probable! On my list I have Moody making a spot for special teams and Daniels on a reach as a returner just to keep him on the team.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
My list: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173083-2013-final-roster/

Good questions NC. So many want late round and undrafted players to make the final squad...seldom happens on a veteran, stacked team. Possible but not probable! On my list I have Moody making a spot for special teams and Daniels on a reach as a returner just to keep him on the team.

Oh wow, your post in 3 pages! We need to combine these two threads mods!

That's a nice safe roster you have there. But knowing HarBaalke, we're going to see some surprises no doubts in the end. I'm sure I'll readjust mine as we go esp. when injuries occur, etc. I can't wait for the battles to begin. I think there is more "open competition" than we may realize. Even the backups have some serious competition this year and that is a great thing. While the coaches may end up leaning towards the safe/familiar player, I think they are truly looking at immediate potential and future production more this year than in the past. They will have this full off season to "really" evaluate these guys.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Haha! Love the "have the license to...", Oh that Jimbo, he's gotten into ALL our heads

Oh yeah! I think there was a thread started a while back of Harbaughnism quotes. Add this one to it as well!
Originally posted by davidb:
I don't agree that its that obvious that Tolzien is going to be cut. Tolzien plays a very special role on the 49ers . . . he is the scout team quarterback. Apparently he is very good at it too. Last year someone named Darin Gantt wrote on September 3, 2012, "The 49ers didn't necessarily keep the best player in the preseason as their third quarterback. They kept the one that could help them the most in the regular season."

Also Matt Barrows pointed out, at about the same time, that "the disparity in preseason stats doesn't explain why the 49ers kept Scott Tolzien over Josh Johnson as their third behind Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Tolzien has taken his role as the scout team QB in practice as his niche. . . . The 49ers trust him as an extra set of eyes, and he's good enough to simulate Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and so on in practice."

So, the question now probably is whether BJ Daniels ability to simulate Russell Wilson is more valuable than Tolzien's ability to simulate Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford.

I seriously doubt Daniels beats Tolzien.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by davidb:
I don't agree that its that obvious that Tolzien is going to be cut. Tolzien plays a very special role on the 49ers . . . he is the scout team quarterback. Apparently he is very good at it too. Last year someone named Darin Gantt wrote on September 3, 2012, "The 49ers didn't necessarily keep the best player in the preseason as their third quarterback. They kept the one that could help them the most in the regular season."

Also Matt Barrows pointed out, at about the same time, that "the disparity in preseason stats doesn't explain why the 49ers kept Scott Tolzien over Josh Johnson as their third behind Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Tolzien has taken his role as the scout team QB in practice as his niche. . . . The 49ers trust him as an extra set of eyes, and he's good enough to simulate Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford and so on in practice."

So, the question now probably is whether BJ Daniels ability to simulate Russell Wilson is more valuable than Tolzien's ability to simulate Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford.

I seriously doubt Daniels beats Tolzien.

He may not have to! I think McCoy is the odd man out here. B.J. can simulate Wilson as the #3 and add ST value (versatility). But let's be real. I f CK goes down, who do you want in as QB? Tolzien with three years of experience in OUR offense or McCoy who has had 1 pre season? Tolzien will remain the #2 and it's between McCoy/Daniels to battle it out for the #3 IMHO. Tolzien even beat out Harbaugh's boy in Johnson last year...no reason to think otherwise this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM ]
Offense: (26)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels - I like Tolzien, but they are trying Daniels at many different positions. If he can prove to be valuable on special teams, rb, wildcat, etc., he will be much more valuable than Tolzien.
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton Marcus Lattimore (PUP) -
FB (1): Bruce Miller - with our TE slipping to the FB spots, I don't see a need for more than 1 FB.
WR (7): Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Ricardo Lockette
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek - Celek is the wild card. If he continues to grow, I don't see any rookie, etc. supplanting him.
OT (2): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Daniel Kilgore
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Joe Looney

Defense: (24)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Tank Carradine - I think they keep 5 to keep a fresh rotation of players. Dobbs and Tukuafu definitely have an outside chance
NT (2): Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams
OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta and Nick Moody
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers, and Tramaine Brock
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Trenton Robinson

Special Teams:(3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings

Players on the bubble
Tolzien - depends on how useful Daniels shows
Hampton - if he can provide good ST support
Lockette - Hall may be a replacement, but this last spot is up for anyone really
Celek - I believe we go with 3 TEs, but how much do they like Celek?
Goodwin - save cap space if a youngster can prove to be valuable. Kilgore, Looney and Jason Slowey may all have an interior OL/C backup role
Dobbs - only put here because of experience, I could see him being swapped with rookie or another player (i.e. tukuafu)

I don't really see too many rookies, second year players making the squad.
I can't see us carrying only 7 OLinemen in the 53! In the 46 perhaps, but a whole season on seven linemen? 8-9 is the likeliest number.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels - I like Tolzien, but they are trying Daniels at many different positions. If he can prove to be valuable on special teams, rb, wildcat, etc., he will be much more valuable than Tolzien.
RB (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton Marcus Lattimore (PUP) -
FB (1): Bruce Miller - with our TE slipping to the FB spots, I don't see a need for more than 1 FB.
WR (7): Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Ricardo Lockette
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek - Celek is the wild card. If he continues to grow, I don't see any rookie, etc. supplanting him.

DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Tank Carradine - I think they keep 5 to keep a fresh rotation of players. Dobbs and Tukuafu definitely have an outside chance
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers, and Tramaine Brock

Players on the bubble
Lockette - Hall may be a replacement, but this last spot is up for anyone really
Goodwin - save cap space if a youngster can prove to be valuable. Kilgore, Looney and Jason Slowey may all have an interior OL/C backup role
Dobbs - only put here because of experience, I could see him being swapped with rookie or another player (i.e. tukuafu)

I dont' think that Hampton, Brock, or Johnson will make it. Hopefully Cooper, Bynowski or Snyder and Flemming. Best case would be Cooper, Bynowski and Adonis. They have lots of upside.
Cant wait to see AJ and Patton in pre-season.
Originally posted by paulk205:
I can't see us carrying only 7 OLinemen in the 53! In the 46 perhaps, but a whole season on seven linemen? 8-9 is the likeliest number.

Yeah, not a big Adam Snyder fan but hardly doubt he gets cut since he can play all 5 spots on the line in a pinch. I can see him and possibly a 3rd tackle making it so 8 or 9.

Players on the bubble

he didnt even make it to final cuts last year

Players on the bubble

As much as I am not a Haralson fan, he redid his deal, and should be considered a lock right now, unless Lemonier wows the staff/brass

Also no way 7 WRs stick, and only 7 OL.
Also a bold predicition, if Gray is as good as everyone says he is, he will either take Celek or Dixon's job, hopefully Dixon, he has zero upside, now that Lattimore is the future once healthy.

I would also like to keep Cooper over Brock. And Cox should make it, I can see Nnamdi cut, he doesn't play STs, and he has lost it, hoping he hasn't fully lost it though, need all help in DBs we can get.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on May 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by paulk205:

Yeah, not a big Adam Snyder fan but hardly doubt he gets cut since he can play all 5 spots on the line in a pinch. I can see him and possibly a 3rd tackle making it so 8 or 9.

He was definitely brought in to be our 3rd tackle. The coaches know how lucky we were last season, we can't play Russian Roulette again with a Super Bowl roster. We certainly don't need multiple backups at S, OLB, ILB, RB, TE, WR, more than we need ONE backup at OT. Boone is already a year out of practice at OT. This is not a position to fool around with.
I think we should have used a day 1-2 pick on a OT, but oh well.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh wow, your post in 3 pages! We need to combine these two threads mods!

That's a nice safe roster you have there. But knowing HarBaalke, we're going to see some surprises no doubts in the end. I'm sure I'll readjust mine as we go esp. when injuries occur, etc. I can't wait for the battles to begin. I think there is more "open competition" than we may realize. Even the backups have some serious competition this year and that is a great thing. While the coaches may end up leaning towards the safe/familiar player, I think they are truly looking at immediate potential and future production more this year than in the past. They will have this full off season to "really" evaluate these guys.

Safe indeed! I believe the 9ers roster is getting close to predictable due to quality at most positions. The surprises will likely be a vet being cut a year or two ahead of time to create space for a young turk. This was Walsh's strategy and would keep things intensely competitive. My candidates for surprises would be Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner, and possibly Staley if injuries occur in TC. Staley has had a bad back for years and those are often chronic. Imagine how good he would be if totally healthy! Gore would be too much of a risk to cut...a leader by example.

Other guys who may be gone from my list would be less shocking--Fleming, Dobbs, Moody...the back up marginal players. What coaches hope is that the injuries happen in camp so that the roster takes care of itself, rather than during the season...as has happened with WR the past couple of years.

Edit: not sure I knew about Snyder when I made my list but he would be a valuable back up...my eighth OLineman.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone