LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Not gonna bench a rookie in order to see what others can do during the preseason.

Yeah, just the conspiracy theorist in me...that he more than enough proved his worth and was featured last game. Now let's see Celek and Gray and even get Daniels some snaps as well.
edit: update at top of next page
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
Nice one, Gore. I think Skuta makes it because he can play inside and outside and is a ST guys.
Updated after Game 2:

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and BJ Daniels
RB (4): Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Jewel Hampton is a better pure runner than James though. FB (1): Bruce Miller - Note: It's very risky not to have a pure FB here. If Miller goes down, we're in big trouble. Dixon is not a good FB/blocker and often times misses pass blocking assignments.
WR (7): X = Marlon Moore/Ricardo Lockette --- Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton/Chad Hall --- Z = Anquan Boldin/Jon Baldwin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Baldwin will be the #7 while he learns the playbook and will give the team 6 more weeks to evaluate before Manningjam comes back. All of these guys play very well on ST: Moore, Lockette, Williams, Hall, etc. Austin is similar to Hall, same age, but has head injuries and doesn't play ST. I will keep Ricardo Lockette at the X for now b/c we need speed/physicality out there for our offense to work while recognizing he has not had more than 2 opportunities out there in real game situations. Osgood could be a threat in the RZ and along with Lockette and Morris, if he can make the team, he is consistently one of the first three gunners down on ST coverage units every time. And this unit is under the microscope now (as it should be).
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back) - Note: MarQueis Gray (H-Back) finally gets a chance and shows his upside/versatility over Garrett Celek.
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder; Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Note: Let's pray Marquardt is the real deal b/c right now, we have very poor T's behind the starters and one injury could very well mess with the OL's chemistry.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney, (Adam Snyder)
C (1): Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin may end up getting cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if both Kilgore/Looney continue to excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (3): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Demarcus Dobbs; Quinton Dial & Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Lawrence Okoye may still have a real shot here as well.
NT (3): Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey and Lamar Divens - Note: Both Dorsey and Divens have stepped up there game and Dorsey can play DE as well. Divens appears to be a pure 2-gap disruptive NT. Even with the 1 game suspension for Dobbs, no need for a guy like Will Tukuafu anymore.
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier and Dan Skuta - Note: Cameron Johnson is playing really well sadly.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite and Nick Moody
CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris is playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.
S (4): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and C.J. Spillman - Note: Trenton Robinson is small/short and is having a decent camp.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Brian Jennings - Note: God has the edge naturally and I haven't noted any snaps by Kevin McDermott thus far. LS is a position we could eliminate with all the LS's we have in Kilgore, Looney, etc. who may also be able to provide coverage on kickoffs. But let's be real here...this is God we're talking about! Question: Do we really need a Long Snapper? Kilgore and Looney can snap as well as others and some can play on ST coverage units as well. Also, we have a major weakness at OT. I'm expecting us to sign a veteran very soon! I am heavy on WR and CB right now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]
New educated guess at the 53...

QB - Kaep, McCoy, Daniels
RB - Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, B.Miller
WR - Boldin, Williams, Patton, M.Moore, Collie, Jenkins
TE - Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney

DL - J.Smith, McDonald, I.Williams, Dorsey, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta (OLB/ILB)
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite
CB - Rogers, Brown, Cox, Asomugha, Brock, Morris
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl

ST - Dawson, Lee, Jennings

TOTAL = 52 with one spot for a potential waiver claim.

PUP/NFI LIST - Lattimore, Manningham, Crabtree, Carradine, Dial, Eric Wright, Marquardt
Originally posted by NCommand:
Updated after Game 2 ^

Only keeping 7 OLs while also keeping 7 WRs? No chance that happens.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
New educated guess at the 53...

QB - Kaep, McCoy, Daniels
RB - Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, B.Miller
WR - Boldin, Williams, Patton, M.Moore, Collie, Jenkins
TE - Davis, McDonald, Celek
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Snyder, Kilgore, Looney

DL - J.Smith, McDonald, I.Williams, Dorsey, Dobbs, Tukuafu
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta (OLB/ILB)
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite
CB - Rogers, Brown, Cox, Asomugha, Brock, Morris
S - Reid, Whitner, Spillman, Dahl

ST - Dawson, Lee, Jennings

TOTAL = 52 with one spot for a potential waiver claim.

PUP/NFI LIST - Lattimore, Manningham, Crabtree, Carradine, Dial, Eric Wright, Marquardt

Agree 100%. I think the 49ers look to bolster the backup DL or backup TE positions with the waiver wire.
Going to be really interesting to see who will get cut if we bring in Manningham, Carradine, Dial, and Lattimore after week 6 (pup).

That's 4 spots. one for sure will likely be wr in place of Manningham. One or both of Dobbs/Tukuafu could go with Carradine and Dial back. Going to be tough to cut 4 if we bring all those guys up to the roster. Probably won't though; will send some to IR even if they are ready.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Going to be really interesting to see who will get cut if we bring in Manningham, Carradine, Dial, and Lattimore after week 6 (pup).

That's 4 spots. one for sure will likely be wr in place of Manningham. One or both of Dobbs/Tukuafu could go with Carradine and Dial back. Going to be tough to cut 4 if we bring all those guys up to the roster. Probably won't though; will send some to IR even if they are ready.

Why didnt we IR Latt?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Why didnt we IR Latt?

Actually looking it up he's on the non football injury list not sure how much different that is from PUP. Maybe list for guys not hurt during time in nfl or during a game/practice (off the field) or guys who are going through problems off the field. Just not sure how the rules are different though. I do know players on the PUP can get moved to IR if they aren't ready to go after the 6 weeks for PUP are up. And a player can't come back before 6 weeks if they are on PUP. If we let him I bet he would be ready to go mid season but maybe we do end up IRing him. After this year Dixon is a FA so he could be gone and Lattimore could be #4 back. Not sure we would re-sign Dixon and keep 5. If we don't keep him will need to replace him o ST and not sure who our short yardage back would be.

I could very well see us sending Carradine and/or Dial to the IR. Unless we would cut someone from other position not sure we would get rid of Tukuafu or Dobbs mid season when Carradine and Dial have had no practice time and no game time.

Edit: Here is an article explaining some stuff but still confusing.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/10/4411988/pup-list-rules-injured-reserve-rules-nfi-list-rules-49ers-injuries

None Football Injury list can be guys who were hurt from college (lattimore, carradine, dial). off the field (game and practice injury) or other injuries off the field (think like playing b ball at home or something like that). Not sure where a guy who is in trouble off the field would go o these lists. Says the NFI list is similar to the PUP list rules. So not sure if they can come back after 6 weeks like pup. Will have to keep digging to see how they differ.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM ]

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Updated after Game 2 ^

Only keeping 7 OLs while also keeping 7 WRs? No chance that happens.

Yeah? Do we even have more than 7 OL? LOL. If so, who would you keep?

And I'm with you on the WR's. With a heavy running-TE offense, we may just go with 6 esp. when we are expecting Manningham back after 6 weeks. Lockette could go to the PS (he is eligible).

WR (7):
X = Marlon Moore/Ricardo Lockette or Jon Baldwin
Y = Kyle Williams/Quinton Patton/Chad Hall
Z = Anquan Boldin/Kassim Osgood or Jon Baldwin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP)
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-Back)
OT (3): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Adam Snyder; Luke Marquardt (PUP)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney, (Adam Snyder)
C (1): Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney)
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
edit
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Updated 8/19 (Man has this changed a lot in the past few weeks)
QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, BJ Daniels
RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB's (1): Bruce Miller
WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, Marlon Moore, Kyle Williams, Jon Baldwin, Quinton Patton, Austin Collie or Chad Hall (I'd Take Collie)
TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Marquise Gray (Very Close w/ Celek)
OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
----------
DL (6): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta (Don't Count Out Cam)
ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock (If 6 Wright or Cooper)
S's (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Robinson (Don't Count out Thomas over Robinson)
-----
ST: (3) K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings

Tank Carradine PUP, Quinton Dial PUP, Manningham PUP
Lattimore IR, Culliver IR, Crabtree IR (designated player to come back), Marquardt IR or PUP

This looks spot on. As far as the one-on-one battles, here are my predictions.

WR -- Collie over Hall
TE -- Celek over Gray
OLB -- Skuta over Cam Johnson. Cam still could make roster if we drop Moody and have Skuta backup both ILB / OLB.
CB -- We keep 5. Both Wright and Cooper get cut.
S -- Thomas over Robinson.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This looks spot on. As far as the one-on-one battles, here are my predictions.

WR -- Collie over Hall
TE -- Celek over Gray
OLB -- Skuta over Cam Johnson. Cam still could make roster if we drop Moody and have Skuta backup both ILB / OLB.
CB -- We keep 5. Both Wright and Cooper get cut.
S -- Thomas over Robinson.

-I take Collie over Hall but think they take Hall.
-I take Gray over Celek but they could go with Celek.
-Skuta probably wins because he can play ST and backup ILB. Johnson might have more potential. Back to PS for him.
-I think we keep 5 to. Maybe we put Wright on PUP and see if we need him week 7 and on. Cooper to PS, legit shot at team next year.
-Haven't keyed in on S too much besides Reid so I'm not sure but Robinson being the draft pick might have the edge. Thomas can play CB as well though.

My PS would be: Stupar, C. Johnson, Jacobs, Cooper, Morris, Bykowski, Purcell or Divens, Gray (if doesn't make the team)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM ]
A couple notes, If a player has at least 4 yrs in accrued seasons, their salary becomes guaranteed after week 1 if on roster.

Player notes.

Goodwin has an extra $1M guarantee due to the redo. So I see him sticking for 2013.

Baldwin's 2013 cap is guaranteed, but he isnt a lock.

Remember that Mario and Crabs likely back, so 2 must go when back. Which is why I made the 1st point on salaries being guaranteed after week 1.
Share 49ersWebzone