There are 145 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KK49:
i just noticed u didnt include Cam Johnson ... u think he will last if moved to PS ( i dont) too bad we have to keep Skuta only coz he s good special team player.
may be we can keep both. Dont teams have like a player or 2 that do only one thing - play on special teams. anyways. I think Cam is worth to be on the team.

I can totally see 9 LBs, and just 6 DL and 8 OL to start 2013.

I like Cam, so maybe as 9th, or over Moody, and move Skuta back to inside.
Might be time to rework those CB charts....waiting for the official word, but bump Cooper or Brock to #5.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Might be time to rework those CB charts....waiting for the official word, but bump Cooper or Brock to #5.

And WR issues as well...

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien - Note: B.J. Daniels goes to the PS.
RB (3): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Note: Don't count Jewel Hampton out!
FB (2): Bruce Miller and Jason Scheplar - Note: Anthony Dixon is finally cut.
WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Note: Marlon Moore may have an edge at the moment. None of the following veterans make it: Kassim Osgood, Lavelle Hawkins or Austin Collie.
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-back) - Note: Garrett Celek may have an edge at the moment.
OT (4): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder and Al Netter; Luke Marquardt (PUP)
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Joe Looney
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Note: Jonathan Goodwin may end up getting cut or restructures his contract for a backup role if both Kilgore/Looney excel here.

Defense: (25)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Quinton Dial and Lawrence Okoye; Tank Carradine (PUP) - Note: Demarcus Dobbs may have an edge at the moment.
NT (3): Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams and Lamar Divens - Note: Lamar Divens may be cut if Dial proves to be able to play both NT and LDE effectively opening up another roster spot.
OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cameron Johnson - Note: Parys Haralson is cut d/t the development of Cameron Johnson.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta and Nick Moody - Note: Michael Wilhoite may have an edge at the moment and Dan Skuta is moved back inside d/t the Fleming injury.
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox and Marcus Cooper; Chris Culliver (PUP) - Note: Tramaine Brock may have an edge at the moment. Darryl Morris goes to the PS.
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Trenton Robinson

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kevin McDermott - Note: Brian Jennings (aka God) may have an edge at the moment.

Read more on post #245 at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/#ZleqrxqLo5hXlgvD.99
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
"Note: Marlon Moore may have an edge at the moment. None of the following veterans make it: Kassim Osgood, Lavelle Hawkins or Austin Collie.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page21/#sp1qHhWBg4ts2EXj.99"

I understand your need to bring along the younger players, but the Niners are in win now mode.

AJ Jenkins- Zero catches
Kyle Williams- cannot stay healthy
Manningham- see above
Lockette- one catch in NFL career.

Mark my word, Austin Collie will make the roster and get more catches than all 4 above combined for 2013.

Starters- Boldin, gulp Lockette, slot Collie.
Originally posted by 9erred:
"Note: Marlon Moore may have an edge at the moment. None of the following veterans make it: Kassim Osgood, Lavelle Hawkins or Austin Collie.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page21/#sp1qHhWBg4ts2EXj.99"

I understand your need to bring along the younger players, but the Niners are in win now mode.

AJ Jenkins- Zero catches
Manningham- see above

Mark my word, Austin Collie will make the roster and get more catches than all 4 above combined for 2013.

I love that part of your evidence that collie will have so many receptions is because the wrs in front of him "can't stay healthy".
My early guess..

QB - Kaepernick, McCoy, Tolzien
RB - Gore, Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, Miller
TE - Davis, McDonald, Celek
WR - Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, Williams, Lockette, M.Moore
OL - Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, A.Davis, Kilgore, Snyder, Looney

DL - J.Smith, McDonald, Dobbs, Tukuafu, I.Williams, Dorsey
OLB - Aldon, Brooks, Haralson, Lemonier
ILB - Willis, Bowman, Wilhoite, Skuta (ILB/OLB)
CB - Rogers, Brown, Asomugha, Brock, Cox
S - Reid, Whitner, Dahl, Spillman, McBath

ST - Dawson, Lee, Jennings

-------------------------------------------

PUP LIST: Manningham, Crabtree, Carradine, Dial, Lattimore, Marquardt // IR: Culliver, Fleming

PRACTICE SQUAD: LB Moody, LB Cam Johnson, S Trenton Robinson, CB Daryl Morris, CB Cooper, DL Okoye, DL Purcell, OT Bykowski

Explanation: We leave the roster at 52 in case we want to make a claim on someone we really like. When Manningham is healthy, he replaces the worst performing WR who is cut. When Carradine and Dial are healthy, one of the two replaces Tukuafu, and another bumps us up to 53 on the roster. This is all unless there are injuries, in which case these players being activated off the PUP would replace the injured players on the 53.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
My early guess..

PUP LIST: Manningham, Crabtree, Carradine, Dial, Lattimore, Marquardt // IR: Culliver, Fleming

PRACTICE SQUAD: LB Moody, LB Cam Johnson, S Trenton Robinson, CB Daryl Morris, CB Cooper, DL Okoye, DL Purcell, OT Bykowski

Explanation: We leave the roster at 52 in case we want to make a claim on someone we really like. When Manningham is healthy, he replaces the worst performing WR who is cut. When Carradine and Dial are healthy, one of the two replaces Tukuafu, and another bumps us up to 53 on the roster. This is all unless there are injuries, in which case these players being activated off the PUP would replace the injured players on the 53.

Hey OTC...

I see BJ Daniels beating out Tolzien because Daniels can provide some additional usefulness as a reserve WR/RB and potentially ST, where I see Tolzien as a poor-man's Colt McCoy.

I also think that Osgood's size alone as a RZ target will buy him onto the team
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
My early guess..

Hey OTC...

I see BJ Daniels beating out Tolzien because Daniels can provide some additional usefulness as a reserve WR/RB and potentially ST, where I see Tolzien as a poor-man's Colt McCoy.

I've been flip-flopping back and forth. The key word in my post is "early guess" because I'll have to see them play in the games. Tolzien's practice reports haven't been great, but the game play is going to be a lot more important. I fully agree that Daniels' versatility gives him more value. And in my opinion, if it were me, I'd give him the spot because I think he has more upside and we should not be expecting to see the 3rd QB in action any time this season (I sure hope not).

Osgood is going to have to really impress at WR and ST to stick. Moore's ability as a gunner could really hurt Osgood's chances and he seems to be making plays in practice at WR. I really don't see them letting Osgood see the field in RZ situations. His size alone in my opinion isn't enough for them to throw a guy in the RZ package. If they want a big guy out there, put in the 6-5 Vance McDonald who makes it even harder for the defense to know if it's a run or pass because he can be used as a blocker, especially in short yardage. Would be tough for a corner to cover that.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
My early guess..

Hey OTC...

I've been flip-flopping back and forth. The key word in my post is "early guess" because I'll have to see them play in the games. Tolzien's practice reports haven't been great, but the game play is going to be a lot more important. I fully agree that Daniels' versatility gives him more value. And in my opinion, if it were me, I'd give him the spot because I think he has more upside and we should not be expecting to see the 3rd QB in action any time this season (I sure hope not).

Osgood is going to have to really impress at WR and ST to stick. Moore's ability as a gunner could really hurt Osgood's chances and he seems to be making plays in practice at WR. I really don't see them letting Osgood see the field in RZ situations. His size alone in my opinion isn't enough for them to throw a guy in the RZ package. If they want a big guy out there, put in the 6-5 Vance McDonald who makes it even harder for the defense to know if it's a run or pass because he can be used as a blocker, especially in short yardage. Would be tough for a corner to cover that.

Ya, I didn't think about McDonald... like you said, it'll come down to who has more value on ST
Originally posted by 9erred:

AJ Jenkins- Zero catches
Manningham- see above

I hear ya...too early to tell about Collie but that very well may end up being the case. He could be a dynamic slot WR for us!

Originally posted by AmpLee:
My early guess..

That's pretty good. I think we'll keep Okoye on the 53 because he impresses enough this preseason to make it too risky passing him through waivers. I think that comes at the expense of Tukuafu. I think Manningham does not start on PUP and takes either Moore or Lockette's spot. I think we lose McBath in favor of an extra O-lineman (whoever impresses the most). I also think Skuta might be ousted by Moody.

I don't think Skuta is going anywhere -- The 49ers signed him for a reason. 1) He has played every position in the 3-4 defense, so he provides not only versatility but depth. And secondly, he is a special teams stalwart. Wilhoite was OK in limited action last year strictly on STs (5 games), but he is still developing and PS eligible. With that said, I think they stash him on the PS again like last season and call him up if needed, taking the more versatile, more experienced ST standout instead.
Hearing a lot of good about Lowell Rose and Ricardo Lockette lately.
1 PS game down, 3 to go!!! Any changes to your lists boys??? I have a couple.....

#1...Our football zombie Dixon continues to live on!!! We clearly need a short yardage back and he can contribute on STs to boot. If Dixon is in, then Im moving Gray out to the PS.

#2...Moore was left off my original list, but he's gonna make this 53. Do we carry 6 WR's? Does Kenny Wiggins get cut since we have Snyder to back up all spots? It comes down to Lockette or Wiggins for me. I think Lockette's upside knocks Wiggins off the roster and we wait for OT Mount Marquardt to come off the PUP.

#3...Based on Fangio's comments, I do not think Tank will be ready for the season. Meaning he will be put on the PUP and may return as late as week 12. IT may be a blessing in disguise to have some fresh legs added to the pass rush later in the year. If he or Dial are on the PUP, I think Dobbs makes the 53.

#4...this one is the hardest of all. Wilhoite clearly earned the #3 ILB spot and is a ST ace, so he makes it onto the list. But who to cut?? Skuta is a ST ace and had 2 sacks yesterday. Haralson is the key backup to both OLB spots and Corey Lemonier is a high round pick who is a serious pass rushing threat. Lets assume Moody's injury is not that bad and he's ready for week 1. Then do we really keep 5 ILBs?? Especially with 2 All Pros ahead of them? It will come down to Moody, Skuta and Cam Johnson for the last spot on the roster. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Cam makes it. Mostly on his potential and need next year when Haralson is gone. If that's the case, Moody's long term potential, age and contract price push him over the edge and unfortunately, Skuta is gone.

Quarterbacks: (3) Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
Running backs: (3) Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James....Marcus Lattimore ( PUP )
Fullbacks: (2) Bruce Miller, Anthony Dixon
Wide receivers: (6) Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette......Manningham ( PUP ), Michael Crabtree ( PUP )......Chad Hall ( Practice Squad...probably get poached ) , Chuck Jacobs ( Practice Squad )
Tight ends: (3) Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek........MarQueis Gray ( Practice Squad..may get poached..probably by the Seahawks who need a TE)
Offensive tackles: (3) Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Snyder (C/G/T )....Luke Marquardt ( PUP ).....Carter Bykowski ( Practice Squad )
Offensive guards: (3) Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Joe Looney
Centers: (2) Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore,

Defensive ends: (4) Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Quinton Dial......Tank Carradine ( PUP )...Lawrence Okoye ( Practice Squad..may get poached)
Nose tackles: (2) Glenn Dorsey ( NT/DE ), Ian Williams.....Lamar Divens ( Practice Squad )
Outside linebackers: (5) Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson
Inside linebackers: (4) Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael, Wilhoite, Nick Moody.....Nathan Stupar( Practice Squad )
Cornerbacks: (5) Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Marcus Cooper....Darryl Morris ( Practice Squad ) ...Chris Culliver ( IR )
Safeties: (5) Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson......Michael Thomas ( Practice Squad )
Kickers: (1) Phil Dawson
Punters: (1) Andy Lee
Long snappers: (1) Brian Jennings

25 O + 25 D + 3 ST + 8 PS.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, DRUSTOPO PROVIDES ALL ACCESS TO AND USE OF THIS LIST OF 53, INCLUDING ALL CONTENT ACCESSIBLE ON OR THROUGH THIS THREAD, "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND DRUSTOPO HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES AS TO QUALITY, TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. USE OF THIS LIST OF 53 AND THE CONTENT IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. DRUSTOPO DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THIS THREAD OR LIST OF 53 WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT OPERATION OF THIS LIST OF 53 WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. THIS LIST OF 53 AND ALL CONTENT IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE AT DRUSTOPO'S DISCRETION BASED ON INJURY, OVERREACTIONS TO PRACTICE REPORTS AND PRODUCTION IN PRESEASON GAMES. IN ADDITION, DRUSTOPO DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THIS LIST IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT. IN THE CASE OF A TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR, DRUSTOPO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MOCK YOU FOR BEING SO ANAL.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien
RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB's (1): Bruce Miller
WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, A.J. Jenkins, Collie/Lockette/Hall/Moore (2 if Manningham PUP)
TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney

----------
DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Demarcus Dobbs or Will Tukuafu
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta? (Had 4 Before so might take off Robinson)
ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock (If we keep 6 Wright or Cooper)
Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson

ST: (3) K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings

Here is my updated one
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM ]
QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien
RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB's (1): Bruce Miller
WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, A.J. Jenkins, Collie/Lockette/Hall (Possibly 2 if Manningham to PUP)
TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney

----------
DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Demarcus Dobbs or Will Tukuafu
OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta (Had 4 Before so might take off Robinson)
ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody
CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock (If we keep 6 Wright or Cooper)
Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson

ST: (3) K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings

Here is my updated one

I was more impessed with Skuta then Cam Johnson. I also realize Fangio likes Brock, but he can't cover. Please Eric Wright show something, and knock him off the 53 man roster.

5th Safety would be interesting, Ventrone was injured in the game, I didnt see much from Robinson, he played 3 games in 2012, so Idk how to judge him. Rather keep another player over him right now.

Not happy with Colt and Tolzien, both looked bad. Hoping Daniels gets some time and shows up big.

Dixon impressed me, now do it in reg season, and I am sold.
Share 49ersWebzone