LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien
B.J. Daniels to PS but wouldn't be shocked if he took knocked off Tolzien this year. Tolzien and McCoy are FA's after this year so I think we could choose between the two and I'd say we would go McCoy and Daniels takes over as the #3. Daniels should be safe on PS but not guaranteed. If nobody signs him he can help us practice for guys like Russell Wilson just as well as he could if he was the #3 QB.

RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
Marcus Lattimore goes to PUP. Not sure if Hampton has much ST experience but could unseat Dixon if he could do well there. Dixon is a much better short yardage runner than he use to be and also is a good locker room guy. Dixon is a FA after this year so he cold be gone and Hampton could take over then but probably PS for Hampton this year.

FB's (1): Bruce Miller

WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette
Michael Crabtree to IR but is 1 player designated to be able to come back though. If Manningham or Williams aren't fully ready to go they could possibly go to PUP and Marlon Moore could win a spot. Unlikely since PUP means 6 (I think) weeks before they can come back and worst case scenario they miss 1 or 2 games so we'd just have them as one of 6 on roster.

TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek
MarQueis Gray to PS

OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
If 9 Kenny Wiggins gets that spot. Think we will just shift Boone to T and G would be Kilgore/Looney/Snyder. Luke Marquardt to PUP or IR, Al Netter and Carter Bykowski to PS
----------
DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Will Tukuafu or Demarcus Dobbs
Tony Jerod-Eddie to PS, Okoye to PS. He might be in great shape but not football shape and he's soft right now. Not anywhere ready right now and might not be worth a roster spot.

OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier
Cam Johnson to PS again.

ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Darius Fleming or Nick Moody,
Michael Wilhoite to PS, played well on ST but just seems like odd man out. Fleming could go to PUP or be cut since he can't stay healthy.

CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock or Perrish Cox
I know a lot want Brock gone but guy was leading ST tackler last year. With Asomugha added Cox could be odd man out. Cooper and possibly Rose to PS but Cooper has great shot to make team next year with all the FA CB's we have.

Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson or Darcel McBath

ST: (3) K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings
Only question here is if Kevin McDermott can unseat Brian Jennings. Sure it could save us money but right now we are fine. Now next year I think there is a greater chance. Jennings is slow, he gets passed by everyone running down the field but not sure the guy has had more than 1 or 2 bad snaps since 2001. A long snapper gets taken for granted until you have a bad one and its hell. Same thing with punter or kicker.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
B.J. Daniels to PS but wouldn't be shocked if he took knocked off Tolzien this year. Tolzien and McCoy are FA's after this year so I think we could choose between the two and I'd say we would go McCoy and Daniels takes over as the #3. Daniels should be safe on PS but not guaranteed. If nobody signs him he can help us practice for guys like Russell Wilson just as well as he could if he was the #3 QB.

Marcus Lattimore goes to PUP. Not sure if Hampton has much ST experience but could unseat Dixon if he could do well there. Dixon is a much better short yardage runner than he use to be and also is a good locker room guy. Dixon is a FA after this year so he cold be gone and Hampton could take over then but probably PS for Hampton this year.

WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette
Michael Crabtree to IR but is 1 player designated to be able to come back though. If Manningham or Williams aren't fully ready to go they could possibly go to PUP and Marlon Moore could win a spot. Unlikely since PUP means 6 (I think) weeks before they can come back and worst case scenario they miss 1 or 2 games so we'd just have them as one of 6 on roster.

MarQueis Gray to PS

OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney
If 9 Kenny Wiggins gets that spot. Think we will just shift Boone to T and G would be Kilgore/Looney/Snyder. Luke Marquardt to PUP or IR, Al Netter and Carter Bykowski to PS
----------
DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Will Tukuafu or Demarcus Dobbs
Tony Jerod-Eddie to PS, Okoye to PS. He might be in great shape but not football shape and he's soft right now. Not anywhere ready right now and might not be worth a roster spot.

Cam Johnson to PS again.

ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Darius Fleming or Nick Moody,
Michael Wilhoite to PS, played well on ST but just seems like odd man out. Fleming could go to PUP or be cut since he can't stay healthy.

CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock or Perrish Cox
I know a lot want Brock gone but guy was leading ST tackler last year. With Asomugha added Cox could be odd man out. Cooper and possibly Rose to PS but Cooper has great shot to make team next year with all the FA CB's we have.

Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson or Darcel McBath

Only question here is if Kevin McDermott can unseat Brian Jennings. Sure it could save us money but right now we are fine. Now next year I think there is a greater chance. Jennings is slow, he gets passed by everyone running down the field but not sure the guy has had more than 1 or 2 bad snaps since 2001. A long snapper gets taken for granted until you have a bad one and its hell. Same thing with punter or kicker.

Very nice 53..probably the safest I've seen yet. I wish I could remember all the surprises from the "actual" 53 in years past to help gage what some of the surprises might be for this year (e.g. Bruce Miller). There always seems to be 2 or 3 real surprises; like the drafts. LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very nice 53..probably the safest I've seen yet. I wish I could remember all the surprises from the "actual" 53 in years past to help gage what some of the surprises might be for this year (e.g. Bruce Miller). There always seems to be 2 or 3 real surprises; like the drafts. LOL

Yeah, I am usually on safe side. Agreed, there usually are a few surprises but my roster is what I think makes the most sense and gives us the best players. They could go a million ways though. A lot of spots I could see 5/6 or 8/9 or 4/5, etc. Wish they would raise roster size up to 55-57ish. Also, the 7 game day inactive is a stupid rule that stops bubble players from showcasing themselves. I'd say bump it up to like 50 game day active and 55-57ish for roster. On a team stacked like ours we could have 58-60 guys that are worthy of a roster spot.
Italicized: Lock

QB's (3): Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
B.J. Daniels offers more versatility and upside than Tolzien, and McCoy is a better version of Tolzien.

RB's (4): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Jewel Hampton, Marcus Lattimore (PUP)
Toss up between Dixon and Hampton. I think Dixon's ability on ST is overstated and he is expendable. I like Hampton more as a RB.

WR's (6): Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette, Michael Crabtree (IR)
If / when Crabtree returns, he will knock Lockette off the 53-man roster.

TE's (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, MarQueis Gray
I like Gray as a versatile H-back player (a la Walker). I think Vernon and McDonald will be on the field quite a bit, and I think McDonald will provide enough blocking to supplant Celek's role.

OL (8): Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Adam Snyder, Joe Looney, Luke Marquardt (PUP)
Kilgore backup C, Snyder backup T, Looney backup G

DL (7): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Will Tukuafu
Dobbs doesn't make the cut, as we keep an additional OLB (Johnson).

OLB (5): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson
Now that he's healthy, Johnson will provide depth + ST value. Depth will be especially important pending Brooks legal troubles.

ILB's (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Nick Moody
Flemming just doesn't provide enough ST value over Moody / Skuta.

CB's (5): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tramaine Brock
I think Brock beats out Cox for the last spot, they may elect to have 6 CBs and 4 S though.

Safeties (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Darcel McBath
McBath makes the roster due to his ST value.

ST (3): K: Phil Dawson, P: Andy Lee, LS: Brian Jennings
Jennings beats out any potential newcomer,
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, I am usually on safe side. Agreed, there usually are a few surprises but my roster is what I think makes the most sense and gives us the best players. They could go a million ways though. A lot of spots I could see 5/6 or 8/9 or 4/5, etc. Wish they would raise roster size up to 55-57ish. Also, the 7 game day inactive is a stupid rule that stops bubble players from showcasing themselves. I'd say bump it up to like 50 game day active and 55-57ish for roster. On a team stacked like ours we could have 58-60 guys that are worthy of a roster spot.

The only question marks I had are the following (for now):

QB's (3): Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels, Scott Tolzien - how will this shape out when the pre season games are on?
OL (8): No Al Netter?
RB's (4): Jewel Hampton - could he be a victim of #'s?
FB's (1): Bruce Miller - who can fill his vital role should he go down?
DL (7): Will Tukuafu and Demarcus Dobbs - doubt either make it this year (Dobbs would have the edge though IMHO)
OLB (5): Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson - would love to see all 3 here but I think there will be a real battle here between Haralson and Johnson. If Cam can demonstrate a full, well-rounded OLB skill set, he "could" push Haralson or another right off the roster. Haralson is a good run defender but offers nothing in pass rush and coverage. He's an excellent character guy/veteran and has more experience in our defense. Right now, he has the edge but Cam has a real shot here with potentially "starter" potential, youth and more upside. Tough call.
CB's (5): Tramaine Brock - with a shift to bigger CB's, can a Baalke pick of Marcus Cooper, Lowell Rose and/or Darryl Morris beat out a ST stud in Tramaine Brock or Perrish Cox?
S's (5): Darcel McBath - could be but I see Trenton Robinson make it over McBath "for now."
ST (3): LS: Brian Jennings - safe pick here but could see a Kevin McDermott beat out Jennings if healthy and can run down on kickoffs better. But Jennings clearly has the edge even with the added emphasis on ST coverage units.

Good calls and I can understand all your picks! And so true about the lack of development opportunities. Even the PS is typically designed to make the starters better.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
The first inning of training camp is in the books!!!! Some things happened over the weekend that got me REALLY PUMPED UP!!!

1. Ian Williams looks like he can be a stud in the middle. The kid was always a strong, stout run stuffing defender in college. Based on the early reports, it looks like he has been able to penetrate into the backfield against our 1st team Oline ( no small accomplishment ). If he can be as stout as Soap was against the run AND push the pocket with Justin and Ray, our D may be even BETTER this year!!! This really reminds me of when we signed McDonald before he was a starter, that turned out rather well I would say. Looks like Jimmy T and the rest of the staff may have NAILED this one by letting RJF and Soap walk. If Ian becomes an every down beast, it will allow Dorsey to fill in and rotate in all 3 spots, keeping everyone fresh. VERY excited with this early news!!!!

2. Our TE's are making NOISE!!!! Vern looks to be picking up where he and KAP left off late last year. If we can get the old Vern with double digit TD's and 900+ yards, we will be a dangerous team! That's all well and good, but what's REALLY got me pumped is the play of the other TE's so far. Early reports have Celek and McDonald making tons of plays down the field. We already know Celek is a stud blocker who worked diligently on his hands late last year, if he can be a threat in the passing game to go along with his inline blocking, he will be a HUGE asset. Then of course we have our mini-gronk in Vance, he is making plays down the field and improving on his blocking. I think he's going to have a huge breakout year for us. Then add in Gray making plays too and it may create an interesting scenario. Maybe Vern WILL be used out wide more often as has been hinted at. Could you imagine a formation with the following....Celek and Vance on opposite sides stacked in double TE formation, Vern and Gray offset on opposite sides stacked next to the TE's with Gore in the backfield? Hows THAT for a jumbo package to play smash mouth...OR...motion all 4 out wide for a 4 WR set???? Or swap out Gray for Boldin. Think of all the way's Roman and Jimmy can toy with that kind of formation???? The options are endless!!! Really excited for all 4 TE's!!!! Gray needs to be able to play FB and ST's though to make the 53. I think we are really going to see even more of those Stanford 3 TE sets this year.

3. Cam is really stepping up! I keep reading about him flashing some of the skills that made him a pass rushing menace in college. Beating our boy Anthony Davis says a lot about the progress he's made. If we can ever get Tank back and healthy, along with Corey, Cam, Aldon, Brooks....we have a young pass rushing rotation! While Seattle went out and bought some short term "old guys", we may have some in house young studs! Look out for our pass down pass rush!!!! Again, Kudos to the staff for possibly addressing one of our weaknesses last year by doing it the right way!!!!

4. Kyle Williams stepping up. I bashed the dude a couple months ago, but he really looks to be ready to pay back the love he got from his teammates after the 2011 NFC Champ game. With the way the WR corps is shaping up, KW may have a large roll with us this year. His chemistry with Kap sounds excellent so far. "I see you K-dub!!!"

5. Passing to the backs! Been reading about a lot of plays to the LMJ and the rest of the backs out of the backfield! I think this CAN be a DEADLY weapon for this offense. Kap is going to be able to flow one way since other teams will need to keep a spy on him, why not setup a screen on the other side? Ive been beating that drum for a while now, glad to see Roman may be adding that wrinkle to the offense!

6. Last but not least Kap, love hearing about his touch passes and the jump in knowledge of the offense. He still needs to work through his progressions and stop staring down his WR's, but he also needed to work on not throwing it 94mph to his short routes. Glad to hear he's addressed that area early.

With that all said...here's my revised 53.

Quarterbacks: (3) Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
Running backs: (3) Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James....Marcus Lattimore ( PUP )
Fullbacks: (1) Bruce Miller......Jason Schepler ( Practice Squad)
Wide receivers: (5) Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette......Manningham ( PUP ), Michael Crabtree ( PUP )......Chuck Jacobs ( Practice Squad )
Tight ends: (4) Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray ( TE/FB/ST )
Offensive tackles: (3) Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Kenny Wiggins....Carter Bykowski ( Practice Squad ) Luke Marquardt ( PUP )
Offensive guards: (3) Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Joe Looney
Centers: (3) Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Snyder (C/G/T )
Defensive ends: (4) Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial......Lawrence Okoye ( Practice Squad..may get poached )
Nose tackles: (2) Glenn Dorsey ( NT/DE ), Ian Williams.....Lamar Divens ( Practice Squad )
Outside linebackers: (5) Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson
Inside linebackers: (4) Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Nick Moody.....Nathan Stupar( Practice Squad )
Cornerbacks: (5) Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox.....Marcus Cooper ( Practice Squad..may get poached ) Darryl Morris ( Practice Squad )
Safeties: (5) Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson
Kickers: (1) Phil Dawson
Punters: (1) Andy Lee
Long snappers: (1) Brian Jennings

53 + 8 PS.

What do you guys have at this VERY early stage???
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jul 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

With that all said...here's my revised 53.

Quarterbacks: (3) Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, B.J. Daniels
Running backs: (3) Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James....Marcus Lattimore ( PUP )
Fullbacks: (1) Bruce Miller......Jason Schepler ( Practice Squad)
Wide receivers: (5) Anquan Boldin, A.J. Jenkins, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Ricardo Lockette......Manningham ( PUP ), Michael Crabtree ( PUP )......Chuck Jacobs ( Practice Squad )
Tight ends: (4) Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, MarQueis Gray ( TE/FB/ST )
Offensive tackles: (3) Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Kenny Wiggins....Carter Bykowski ( Practice Squad ) Luke Marquardt ( PUP )
Offensive guards: (3) Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Joe Looney
Centers: (3) Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore, Snyder (C/G/T )
Defensive ends: (4) Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial......Lawrence Okoye ( Practice Squad..may get poached )
Nose tackles: (2) Glenn Dorsey ( NT/DE ), Ian Williams.....Lamar Divens ( Practice Squad )
Outside linebackers: (5) Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Corey Lemonier, Cam Johnson
Inside linebackers: (4) Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Nick Moody.....Nathan Stupar( Practice Squad )
Cornerbacks: (5) Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha, Perrish Cox.....Marcus Cooper ( Practice Squad..may get poached ) Darryl Morris ( Practice Squad )
Safeties: (5) Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Trenton Robinson
Kickers: (1) Phil Dawson
Punters: (1) Andy Lee
Long snappers: (1) Brian Jennings

53 + 8 PS.

What do you guys have at this VERY early stage???

Nice 53! I appreciate your points as well and the PS projections!

I still have mine pretty much the same (with some built-in HarBaalke surprises) but expect a few edits as well as we go d/t injuries, player reports, big picture, salary edits, etc.

Offense: (25)
QB (3): Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien and B.J. Daniels - think Tolzien is similar to Colt McCoy but much more experienced in our offense. B.J. is the perfect Russell Wilson-clone to practice against and can play ST and can remain part of the active roster on game days. McCoy looks great in the beginning but come game day, Scott continues to prove a viable backup to Kaep; his experience in our offense pays off.
RB (3): Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James; Marcus Lattimore (PUP) - Anthony Dixon, Jewel Hampton and D.J. Harper are gone. Marcus is red-shirted all year long.
FB (2): Bruce Miller and Jason Scheplar; Alex Debniak (IR) - Jason is the surprise win here primarly b/c of Alex's achilles tear. We finally get a true FB behind Miller; something critical to our running game.
WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Kassim Osgood, Marlon Moore are all right on that bubble here; they can be gunners with their speed on ST, return kicks and even provide some size mismatches in the RZ and add that deep threat as well. Very tough call with Manningham/Crabtree in rehab. Chad Hall, Joe Hastings, Chuck Jacobs all gone. Manningham is brought along slowly. Brandon Carswell, we hardly knew you!
TE (3): Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald and MarQueis Gray (H-back) - Garrett Celek is gone.
OT (4): Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder and Al Netter; Luke Marquardt (PUP) - Carter Bykowski and Kenny Wiggins are gone. Luke is brought along slowly (typical Niner-theme) but if healthy, could push Netter off the 53.
OG (3): Mike Iupati, Alex Boone and Daniel Kilgore (Joe Looney) - Wayne Tribue and Patrick Omameh are gone. Boone, Snyder, Kilgore and Looney can all play multiple positions.
C (2): Jonathan Goodwin and Joe Looney (Daniel Kilgore) - Sherman Carter is gone. I would not be surprised to see Looney/Kilgore beat out Goodwin (late cut) with Kilgore backing him up; or Goodwin restructures to stay to fight for his starting spot (ideal depth); he still may end up losing his job though.

Defense: (25)
DE (4): Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Quinton Dial and Lawrence Okoye; Tank Carradine (PUP) - Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tukuafu and Tony Jerod-Eddie are gone. Tank is brought along slowly as well. They may keep Dobbs over Divens but we use the NT/DE positions as interchangeable a lot. So who adds more immediate value?
NT (3): Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams and Lamar Divens (6'3" 340) - Mike Purcell is gone and Divens is my surprise early pick - he is used against the power running teams and in goal line and short yardage situations; this was a major weakness for us.
OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson is my surprise cut here. Cam shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable. Do we really need more than 4 OLB's? If Haralson is retained, he is going to push a very good player off the 53. Tough call.
ILB (4): Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Dan Skuta and Nick Moody - Michael Wilhoite, Nathan Stupar and Darius Fleming are gone.
CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers and Eric Wright - Baalke wants bigger now...he got it in Nnamdi/Reid. Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox. Darryl Morris, Marcus Cooper and Lowell Rose (waived) are all gone. Rogers may have to restructure his contract if he loses out to Nnamdi. Cooper and Morris are stashed on the PS. If Morris excels, he could be a keeper for the slot to match up against the Harvin/Austin's of the NFL.
S (5): Donte Whitner, Eric Reid, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman and Trenton Robinson - Darcel McBath, Michael Thomas and Raymond Ventrone are gone.

Special Teams: (3)
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee - Anthony Santella is gone
LS: Kevin McDermott - Brian Jennings is gone - McDermott is consistent and can provide much better coverage on ST.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/ Post #245
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM ]
NCommand...training camp battles are gonna get HOTTTTT!!!!

Couple things....

-No matter how bad he stinks up the joint, AJ is gonna make this squad, but Lockette better step up real soon or Moore is gonna snatch that spot away from him.

-Cant wait to see what Dial and Tank look like with the pads on. The longer they stay out though, the better chance it gives guys like Dobbs, Tuku and Jerod-Eddie.

-Also, every year we think Dixon is gone and somehow he makes it. With all the young backers we have this year, plus ST aces like Moody and Skuta, I think it will be harder for Dixon to make it in 2013. We don't use a FB very often, but I think whoever can fill in for Miller there and provide ST reps could make the active roster. I would love it that guy was Gray. Excited to see if he can be that Joker role + backup FB + ST ace. The other question is who will take the short yardage reps? I think we see Gore in for those with more of a rotation of Gore, LMJ and Hunter on regular downs. Sounds like Hunter is close to returning too.
NCommand...training camp battles are gonna get HOTTTTT!!!!

Couple things....

-No matter how bad he stinks up the joint, AJ is gonna make this squad, but Lockette better step up real soon or Moore is gonna snatch that spot away from him.

-Cant wait to see what Dial and Tank look like with the pads on. The longer they stay out though, the better chance it gives guys like Dobbs, Tuku and Jerod-Eddie.

-Also, every year we think Dixon is gone and somehow he makes it. With all the young backers we have this year, plus ST aces like Moody and Skuta, I think it will be harder for Dixon to make it in 2013. We don't use a FB very often, but I think whoever can fill in for Miller there and provide ST reps could make the active roster. I would love it that guy was Gray. Excited to see if he can be that Joker role + backup FB + ST ace. The other question is who will take the short yardage reps? I think we see Gore in for those with more of a rotation of Gore, LMJ and Hunter on regular downs. Sounds like Hunter is close to returning too.

For sure!

- You know, this may end up being one of my late revisions before the real 53 is announced primarily b/c we continue ti have masses amounts of injuries at this position. That said, how many 3+ WR sets are we really going to run? We even have our #1 TE being split out wide and in the slot. So to me, Marlon Moore and Kassim Osgood are RIGHT on the bubble. Both have similar qualities. If we go a solo Bruce Miller again, we may be able to squeeze one of them on the 53 until Manningham comes back (maybe as late as Crabtree).

- Yeah, the NT and DE positions are really intriguing to me this year. I have Dobbs on that bubble as well b/c of how well he played with and off Aldon Smith last year and will be watching him again this year closely to see where he is at (see if that was a fluke).

- No offense to Dixon but if he makes the team, we made a mistake IMHO. It means we didn't find a pure FB who is better on ST and who can't handle short yardage/goal line situations. Hampton may be a dark horse here. And I love Gray. I've had him in Walker's role (H-back) from day one but with more upside. Hunter is the man when fully healthy...he adds the speed OT that opens up the in-between O runs for Gore. It's funny in that they run similar too...decisive, quick, relentless and always seem to get a yard or two extra at the end of their runs. They just run very hard (both out of the Q formation is a nightmare for defenses)!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

MarQueis Gray to PS

----------

Cam Johnson to PS again.

I think if you waive BJ Daniels, he will be claimed before we can sign him to the practice squad. There is too much risk there to give away such a great talent. I say cut Tolzien and make BJ No.3.

I keep forgetting Nnamdi is on our team
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think if you waive BJ Daniels, he will be claimed before we can sign him to the practice squad. There is too much risk there to give away such a great talent. I say cut Tolzien and make BJ No.3.

Totally agree, with the way Russell Wilson burst on the scene last year, I think some teams would me more than willing to take a shot with a guy like Daniels. I think Tolzien is the more polished passer, but Daniels arm + running ability give him the higher upside. Plus if Kap went down next year when McCoy is gone, Daniels gives us the ability to run the same offense. We would have to switch up our game plan to fit Tolzien. The last benefit to keeping Daniels is having someone who can run the scout team and mimic Wilson / RGIII.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Totally agree, with the way Russell Wilson burst on the scene last year, I think some teams would me more than willing to take a shot with a guy like Daniels. I think Tolzien is the more polished passer, but Daniels arm + running ability give him the higher upside. Plus if Kap went down next year when McCoy is gone, Daniels gives us the ability to run the same offense. We would have to switch up our game plan to fit Tolzien. The last benefit to keeping Daniels is having someone who can run the scout team and mimic Wilson / RGIII.

Word. I couldn't have said it better. Just way too many upsides. Honestly, if you look at the bigger picture, not just for the 9ers, I strongly believe duel-threat QBs is the way forward for the league as a whole, although I must say I hope at least some teams will stay stubborn so we can enjoy that edge.
Word. I couldn't have said it better. Just way too many upsides. Honestly, if you look at the bigger picture, not just for the 9ers, I strongly believe duel-threat QBs is the way forward for the league as a whole, although I must say I hope at least some teams will stay stubborn so we can enjoy that edge.

Lets keep riding our horse!!!

Or whatever the hell that green lama is......lol
Fleming GONE...WOW, well at least we didn't have him in our 53 NCommand, Rascal and Gore_21
Share 49ersWebzone