There are 240 users in the forums

GUESS THE 53!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What about Adam Snyder! Don't call it a comeback! lol no seriously he adds depth he can play G & T
Originally posted by wailers15:
What about Adam Snyder! Don't call it a comeback! lol no seriously he adds depth he can play G & T

If Snyder proves he can bring value as a swing lineman, then I am a happy camper, if not, then hoping Looney shows it. But rather the veteran wins it, he needs it, if not who will sign him? He failed as a starter here, and then in Arizona.
Sticking with it for now...post #245, edited here (page 17): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

So far many of the moves and injuried haven't affected my 53.

Notes/Surprises:
  • QB: Via the media, it "appears" McCoy is ahead of Tolzien but we'll see when the pads come on and in real-game situations how much Colt has really picked up. It also aapears B.J. McDaniels is a lock for multiple positions for the #3
  • WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Kassim Osgood, Marlon Moore and Brandon Carswell are all right on that bubble. Unless any of these guys can add more than just ST ability, I don't know where we can realistically find room for them without cutting true position backups.
  • C/OG: Still not sure if Kilgore or Looney is ahead as the main competition for Goodwin at C - still an outside chance one beats Goodwin out (despite the restructure) and Goodwin is a late cut with the other guy backing him up.
  • OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming are gone IMHO despite the glowing reports about Haralson at this stage. But Cam eventually shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable...younger, cheaper, more athletic and more upside.
  • CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers and Marcus Cooper - Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Lowell Rose and Darryl Morris are gone. Rogers restructures his contract after losing out to Nnamdi and Rose and Morris are stashed on the PS. Baalke wants bigger now...he got it in CB/depth and with Reid.
  • LS: Kevin McDermott - Brian Jennings is gone and NT implodes!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM ]
Fleming def has to prove himself come the preseason but I don't think you guys are thinking straight if you think Cam Johnson is a lock for the 53.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sticking with it for now...post #245, edited here (page 17): http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/171861-team-needs-updates/page17/

Notes/Surprises:
  • QB: Via the media, it "appears" McCoy is ahead of Tolzien but we'll see when the pads come on and in real-game situations how much Colt has really picked up. It also aapears B.J. McDaniels is a lock for multiple positions for the #3
  • WR (5): X = A.J. Jenkins/Ricardo Lockette Y = Quinton Patton/Kyle Williams Z = Anquan Boldin; Mario Manningham & Michael Crabtree (PUP) - Kassim Osgood, Marlon Moore and Brandon Carswell are all right on that bubble. Unless any of these guys can add more than just ST ability, I don't know where we can realistically find room for them without cutting true position backups.
  • C/OG: Still not sure if Kilgore or Looney is ahead as the main competition for Goodwin at C - still an outside chance one beats Goodwin out (despite the restructure) and Goodwin is a late cut with the other guy backing him up.
  • OLB (4): Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier and Cam Johnson - Parys Haralson and Darius Fleming are gone IMHO despite the glowing reports about Haralson at this stage. But Cam eventually shows he can seal the edge well AND pass rush making Haralson expendable...younger, cheaper, more athletic and more upside.
  • CB (5): Tarell Brown, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers and Marcus Cooper - Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Lowell Rose and Darryl Morris are gone. Rogers restructures his contract after losing out to Nnamdi and Rose and Morris are stashed on the PS. Baalke wants bigger now...he got it in CB/depth and with Reid.

I like it buddy! I think Haralson is gonna make this squad though. I thought Daniels would be PS material, someone to replicate the running QB's we'll face. The more and more I hear/think about it, I do not think we'll be able to hide him there. I think most teams realize that we have a stacked roster and drafted 11 players, you know guys are going to get taken from our PS this year. I was always a Tolzien fan, but he may be better off trying to find work on another team. Other than Daniels/Tolzien, I think the only modification I'll make to my original 53 + PS is due to the injury to Crabs, KW is in for sure now and Michael Thomas takes BJ Daniels spot on the PS =

Quarterbacks:
( 3 ) Colin Kaepernick; Colt McCoy; Scott Tolzien.......B.J. Daniels( Practice Squad )= Daniels in, Tolzien out

Running backs:
( 3 ) Frank Gore; Kendall Hunter; LaMichael James;.....Marcus Lattimore ( PUP )

Fullbacks:
( 2 ) Bruce Miller; Jason Schepler( FB/TE/ST )

Wide receivers:
( 5 ) Michael Crabtree; Anquan Boldin; A.J. Jenkins; Quinton Patton; Ricardo Lockette.........Manningham ( PUP )........Chuck Jacobs ( Practice Squad ). Crabs IR, KW in.

Tight ends:
( 3 ) Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald; Garrett Celek;...........MarQueis Gray ( Practice Squad )

Offensive tackles:
( 3 ) Joe Staley; Anthony Davis; Kenny Wiggins ( still believe in his big leap this year to beat out Snyder )......Carter Bykowski ( Practice Squad )......Luke Marquardt ( PUP )

Offensive guards:
( 3 ) Mike Iupati; Alex Boone; Joe Looney/Daniel Kilgore

Centers:
( 2 ) Jonathan Goodwin; Daniel Kilgore/Joe Looney

Defensive ends:
( 5 ) Justin Smith; Ray McDonald; Tank Carradine; Quinton Dial; Lawrence Okoye [ this one scares me the most since its 3 rookies ( 2 injured and a rugby player ) backing up Cowboy and Ray...but I think the real backup DE is Dorsey ]

Nose tackles:
( 2 ) Glenn Dorsey ( NT/DE ), Ian Williams.......Lamar Divens ( Practice Squad )

Outside linebackers:
( 4 ) Aldon Smith; Ahmad Brooks; Parys Haralson; Corey Lemonier

Inside linebackers:
( 4 ) Patrick Willis; NaVorro Bowman; Dan Skuta; Nick Moody........Nathan Stupar( Practice Squad )

Cornerbacks:( extra CB's more for 2014 )
( 6 ) Carlos Rogers; Tarell Brown; Chris Culliver; Nnamdi Asomugha; Perrish Cox; Marcus Cooper.....Darryl Morris ( Practice Squad )

Safeties:
( 5 ) Donte Whitner; Eric Reid; Craig Dahl; C.J. Spillman; Trenton Robinson.......Michael Thomas ( Practice Squad )

Kickers:
( 1 ) Phil Dawson

Punters:
( 1 ) Andy Lee

Long snappers:
( 1 ) Brian Jennings ( Kevin McDermott - practice squad...realized I was one man short, so I threw your boy in the mix! lol )
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jun 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Fleming def has to prove himself come the preseason but I don't think you guys are thinking straight if you think Cam Johnson is a lock for the 53.

LOL. It's a projection so obviously nobody is a lock but really, Cam only needs to beat out Fleming to earn a 53 spot and with a year to heal and red-shirt, he had a ton of upside coming in...he's got a great shot esp. if Fleming is already struggling a bit with a nagging injury again.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Carradine and Dial will be slow to learn the system and are already very far behind since they are both watching from the sidelines, but both will make the 53

Because of that im pretty sure Tuku or Dobbs make it, and they carry an extra DL or two till Carradine and Dial are ready to contribute
Originally posted by cools:
Carradine and Dial will be slow to learn the system and are already very far behind since they are both watching from the sidelines, but both will make the 53

Because of that im pretty sure Tuku or Dobbs make it, and they carry an extra DL or two till Carradine and Dial are ready to contribute

Yeah I can see that happening too. Tukuafu and Dobbs seem to have great preseasons, but then never see the field on the DL rotation. I really don't know what to make of them. We need to get better on DL depth, especially since Soap and RJF left. Would love to see Dial, Divens, Purcell or Jerod-Eddie step up and push Tukuafu and Dobbs off the roster. Still, having two versatile guys like that on the roster, as backup options if nobody emerges, is a good position for the 9ers to be in. We need to get Dial and Tank healthy soon to see if they can be counted on this season for the DL rotation.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

Notes/Surprises:

I like it buddy! I think Haralson is gonna make this squad though. I thought Daniels would be PS material, someone to replicate the running QB's we'll face. The more and more I hear/think about it, I do not think we'll be able to hide him there. I think most teams realize that we have a stacked roster and drafted 11 players, you know guys are going to get taken from our PS this year. I was always a Tolzien fan, but he may be better off trying to find work on another team. Other than Daniels/Tolzien, I think the only modification I'll make to my original 53 + PS is due to the injury to Crabs, KW is in for sure now and Michael Thomas takes BJ Daniels spot on the PS =

Quarterbacks:
( 3 ) Colin Kaepernick; Colt McCoy; Scott Tolzien.......B.J. Daniels( Practice Squad )= Daniels in, Tolzien out

Running backs:
( 3 ) Frank Gore; Kendall Hunter; LaMichael James;.....Marcus Lattimore ( PUP )

Fullbacks:
( 2 ) Bruce Miller; Jason Schepler( FB/TE/ST )

Wide receivers:
( 5 ) Michael Crabtree; Anquan Boldin; A.J. Jenkins; Quinton Patton; Ricardo Lockette.........Manningham ( PUP )........Chuck Jacobs ( Practice Squad ). Crabs IR, KW in.

Tight ends:
( 3 ) Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald; Garrett Celek;...........MarQueis Gray ( Practice Squad )

Offensive tackles:
( 3 ) Joe Staley; Anthony Davis; Kenny Wiggins ( still believe in his big leap this year to beat out Snyder )......Carter Bykowski ( Practice Squad )......Luke Marquardt ( PUP )

Offensive guards:
( 3 ) Mike Iupati; Alex Boone; Joe Looney/Daniel Kilgore

Centers:
( 2 ) Jonathan Goodwin; Daniel Kilgore/Joe Looney

Defensive ends:
( 5 ) Justin Smith; Ray McDonald; Tank Carradine; Quinton Dial; Lawrence Okoye [ this one scares me the most since its 3 rookies ( 2 injured and a rugby player ) backing up Cowboy and Ray...but I think the real backup DE is Dorsey ]

Nose tackles:
( 2 ) Glenn Dorsey ( NT/DE ), Ian Williams.......Lamar Divens ( Practice Squad )

Outside linebackers:
( 4 ) Aldon Smith; Ahmad Brooks; Parys Haralson; Corey Lemonier

Inside linebackers:
( 4 ) Patrick Willis; NaVorro Bowman; Dan Skuta; Nick Moody........Nathan Stupar( Practice Squad )

Cornerbacks:( extra CB's more for 2014 )
( 6 ) Carlos Rogers; Tarell Brown; Chris Culliver; Nnamdi Asomugha; Perrish Cox; Marcus Cooper.....Darryl Morris ( Practice Squad )

Safeties:
( 5 ) Donte Whitner; Eric Reid; Craig Dahl; C.J. Spillman; Trenton Robinson.......Michael Thomas ( Practice Squad )

Kickers:
( 1 ) Phil Dawson

Punters:
( 1 ) Andy Lee

Long snappers:
( 1 ) Brian Jennings (Kevin McDermott - practice squad...realized I was one man short, so I threw your boys into the mix! lol )

Nice! Yeah, Haralson is another one of those vets who may just make it again over a younger guy b/c he adds so much to his one area of expertise in run defending (plus intangibles such leadership, team player, etc.).

Your QBs looks very realistic as well but I have this suspicion Harbaugh wants that #3 to actually be on the 46 to be used on ST, in certain offensive packages, etc. vs. an inactive #3.

Nice call on the Jason Schepler...we may be the only one's who feel we'll actually get a real FB backup this year for Miller (he adds ST vlue as well). I also have a feeling Schepler will learn the TE position as well (blocking part). I think that MarQueis Gray is going to be an epic H-back in this offense and b/c of that, makes Celek expendable.

Also, like your belief in Kenny Wiggins and Garrett Celek.

I'm vascillating on Divens as well esp. if Dial can play both LDE/NT BUT, for my personally, I want some real beef in there if Dorsey/Williams/Dial don't prove to be stout enough in short yardage and goal line situations and against the power running teams we will play this year.

I won't even comment on Brian Jennings...don't want to be sent to hell. LOL

You're the man for working in the practice sqaud too! Nice work!
Nice! Yeah, Haralson is another one of those vets who may just make it again over a younger guy b/c he adds so much to his one area of expertise in run defending (plus intangibles such leadership, team player, etc.).

Your QBs looks very realistic as well but I have this suspicion Harbaugh wants that #3 to actually be on the 46 to be used on ST, in certain offensive packages, etc. vs. an inactive #3.

Nice call on the Jason Schepler...we may be the only one's who feel we'll actually get a real FB backup this year for Miller (he adds ST vlue as well). I also have a feeling Schepler will learn the TE position as well (blocking part). I think that MarQueis Gray is going to be an epic H-back in this offense and b/c of that, makes Celek expendable.

Also, like your belief in Kenny Wiggins and Garrett Celek.

I'm vascillating on Divens as well esp. if Dial can play both LDE/NT BUT, for my personally, I want some real beef in there if Dorsey/Williams/Dial don't prove to be stout enough in short yardage and goal line situations and against the power running teams we will play this year.

I won't even comment on Brian Jennings...don't want to be sent to hell. LOL

You're the man for working in the practice sqaud too! Nice work!

lol...Schepler is my wild of wildcards, Mr 53! Not a good sign he was cut already and resigned. We'll see what happens. Cant wait until training camp starts, then we can REALLY try to zero in on the roster spots. Until then, its reading about 2 hand touch in shorts.

Originally posted by cools:

Yeah I can see that happening too. Tukuafu and Dobbs seem to have great preseasons, but then never see the field on the DL rotation. I really don't know what to make of them. We need to get better on DL depth, especially since Soap and RJF left. Would love to see Dial, Divens, Purcell or Jerod-Eddie step up and push Tukuafu and Dobbs off the roster. Still, having two versatile guys like that on the roster, as backup options if nobody emerges, is a good position for the 9ers to be in. We need to get Dial and Tank healthy soon to see if they can be counted on this season for the DL rotation.

Good comments...I had this feeling prior to the draft that Dobbs seemed to have fantastic chemistry playing in front of Aldon and got derailed d/t injuries...and if healthy, could prove to be something. But then Tank and Dial were drafted and it's going to be a grudge-match. I don't think Tukuafu really adds anything. I think the coaches knew what they had in Dobbs/Tuk and as a result, drafted Tank/Dial. Let the best men win...
lol...Schepler is my wild of wildcards, Mr 53! Not a good sign he was cut already and resigned. We'll see what happens. Cant wait until training camp starts, then we can REALLY try to zero in on the roster spots. Until then, its reading about 2 hand touch in shorts.

Yeah, I originally had Alex b/c he was more of a "pure FB?" But we truly need someone who can fill in if Miller did go down and I don't think it's Dixon. In fact, he's slimmed down a ton as it appears he is vying for a RB spot now. Hampton could be another wild card as well. It will be fun to come back to this when all the dust settles. I'll be editing mine as injuries/waived players come in and as we get more detailed information on how the coaches want to use these guys, progress, etc. But so far, staying the course...

LOL. It's a projection so obviously nobody is a lock but really, Cam only needs to beat out Fleming to earn a 53 spot and with a year to heal and red-shirt, he had a ton of upside coming in...he's got a great shot esp. if Fleming is already struggling a bit with a nagging injury again.

yeah agreed, I just think you also are under-valuing Haralson's importance to the team.

yeah agreed, I just think you also are under-valuing Haralson's importance to the team.

Fair enough and you may be right! Cam in another one of my long shots but given our very tough 53 to make, I think guys are going to have to be much more complete players and add additional value as well in other areas (e.g. ST). It's a tough call as a coaching staff to keep that vet in favor of a younger, cheaper, hand-picked developmental-starter that could add much more in the very near future. Tough tough decisions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM ]
I know the injury muddies the waters, but looks like the 9ers were planning on doing what we discussed earlier in the thread...move Flemming to ILB. =

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/13/4426872/darius-fleming-inside-linebacker-49ers-vic-fangio

Some good stuff from Fangio on Cam too =

"[Cam Johnson, Trenton Robinson, Darius Fleming are] all a whole lot better than they were last year. Cam Johnson is a very viable candidate to make this team right now. Trenton is, too. And Darius Fleming was doing very good work at inside linebacker, which we switched him to at the start of OTAs. And he was doing very good work there until he got a little injured there. So, been pleased with those three guys. Feel a lot stronger about them now than I did last year at this time."

Harbs always preaches that the 1st to 2nd year is the biggest growth period for a NFL player. I was always a big Trenton guy, looks like Cam is right in the mix for OLB. I still think Haralson wins the job and no way they cut Lemonier, so it will be interesting if Cam can show some pass rushing skills this summer. If so, he could be a dark horse for us keeping a 5th OLB over say an extra DB or guys like Dobbs and Tuku. Even though they play different positions, if Tank isn't close to coming back at the end of training camp, it could open up a spot for Cam as a dime pass rush sub. At 6'3 270, he may be a nice chess piece for Fangio. It will come down to the pass rush and ST's for Cam. Im pulling for him!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jun 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone