LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Eric Mangini is in talks with the 49ers (consultant job) *EDIT - HIRED*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think you're reading way too much into this.
exactly the reaction I was looking for. BAHAHAHA
Good Move... Just brought an AFC guy into the building.

IF the 49ers end up in the big game against the Pats....then this move gets REALLY interesting....
Originally posted by ssahnan:
the season and beyond all ride on to what degree does Kaep develop to....I used to get jacked about all the peripheral moves like extending Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Novarro Bowman and so on but the game boils down to qb play. 4 downs for the Superbowl and we didn't get it done, at that point I just believe coaching goes out the window. you either got the guy that can make the play or you don't. You watch Russell Wilson play and you feel a little more comfortable in saying he's the real deal. With Kaep, jury's still out a little, he's got pocket passing issues. I welcome Mangini with open arms, but everything this team does outside of qb play is irrelevant if Kaep doesn't grow and become a better pocket passer.

Man, it took 4 months for me to be able to post back on this site again, I've gotta deal with niner pain better...

Let's just say that's not a very impressive re-start with the posting. Kaepernick had a better rating in the pocket than out of it. And, when a team allows 34 points in a Super Bowl, what a knowledgeable fan knows is that defense and special teams was the key and that it shouldn't have ever come down to four desperate plays at the end. I keep vowing to myself to leave all of that alone, but you guys keep popping back up with your absurd talk about "making plays at the end" while talking about a team that allowed more points than any winning Super Bowl team in the history of the game. In fact, in 47 Super Bowls, only one time has a team allowed 31 points and won. So please. Enough of this nonsense. Wise up!
UPSIDE: we get a defensive perspective spending full time with the offensive coordinators. OK. Maybe this is to help Roman identify and make better adjustments during the game. That would be nice.

DOWNSIDE: We teach someone that is likely going to be on the staff only temporarily the inside scoop on the 49ers system and coaches thinking. Bad if he goes somewhere else next year.

I think this is mostly as a favor to Mangini to give HIM some offensive experience so he can get another HC gig. But if that is the case, I hope they are taking steps to sequester him from some of the inside workings of the offensive system.
I'm sure this has been pointed out above, but wouldn't it be more likely that Mangini is an insurance policy for losing Fangio as opposed to Roman? And, this also might say that there is tension in the organization about Fangio's reluctance to substitute on the D-line. After all, Baalke did say it was a philosophical problem when talking about rotating d-line players during a given game.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by ssahnan:
the season and beyond all ride on to what degree does Kaep develop to....I used to get jacked about all the peripheral moves like extending Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Novarro Bowman and so on but the game boils down to qb play. 4 downs for the Superbowl and we didn't get it done, at that point I just believe coaching goes out the window. you either got the guy that can make the play or you don't. You watch Russell Wilson play and you feel a little more comfortable in saying he's the real deal. With Kaep, jury's still out a little, he's got pocket passing issues. I welcome Mangini with open arms, but everything this team does outside of qb play is irrelevant if Kaep doesn't grow and become a better pocket passer.

Man, it took 4 months for me to be able to post back on this site again, I've gotta deal with niner pain better...

Let's just say that's not a very impressive re-start with the posting. Kaepernick had a better rating in the pocket than out of it. And, when a team allows 34 points in a Super Bowl, what a knowledgeable fan knows is that defense and special teams was the key and that it shouldn't have ever come down to four desperate plays at the end. I keep vowing to myself to leave all of that alone, but you guys keep popping back up with your absurd talk about "making plays at the end" while talking about a team that allowed more points than any winning Super Bowl team in the history of the game. In fact, in 47 Super Bowls, only one time has a team allowed 31 points and won. So please. Enough of this nonsense. Wise up!

I don't recall Wilson taking off until SEA started running the pistol and read option. Wilson was extremely limited until mid season when they went to some option then defenses had to respect SEA running game Wilson's mobility and this opened up some passing lanes and bought him time to make plays. Then his game from the pocket took hold. Kaep was running the Alex Smith offense from game 1 in CHI from the pocket. We evolved offensively from there. Kaep beat ATL from the pocket. I would argue Wilson is more dependent on option football and Lynch than Kaep is to the option and Gore and Kaep has gotten it done from the pocket. It is no coincidence that Wilson took off when they put him in the option and on the move. It was obvious but Kaep took off game one
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I don't recall Wilson taking off until SEA started running the pistol and read option. Wilson was extremely limited until mid season when they went to some option then defenses had to respect SEA running game Wilson's mobility and this opened up some passing lanes and bought him time to make plays. Then his game from the pocket took hold. Kaep was running the Alex Smith offense from game 1 in CHI from the pocket. We evolved offensively from there. Kaep beat ATL from the pocket. I would argue Wilson is more dependent on option football and Lynch than Kaep is to the option and Gore and Kaep has gotten it done from the pocket. It is no coincidence that Wilson took off when they put him in the option and on the move. It was obvious but Kaep took off game one

Yeah, Kaepernick was much more impressive right from the start. If you compare both of their first ten games, it's almost night and day. But, what people seem to want to compare is Kaepernick's 10 games against Wilson's last 10 games after he had 8 games to warm up and get going. Whatever.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i do not know of anyone who is more comfortable saying russell is the real deal as compared to Ck. i would like anyone to point out to me what they see from Ck that leads them to believe he is not the real deal. sheesh
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not know of anyone who is more comfortable saying russell is the real deal as compared to Ck. i would like anyone to point out to me what they see from Ck that leads them to believe he is not the real deal. sheesh

He's got football smarts, he's pretty un-flappable, he's got good pocket presence, a cannon for an arm, speed, quickness, great work ethic and one of the best ten-game beginnings for any pro QB ever.

So, I'm going to say tats and a flat-brimmed cap.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
UPSIDE: we get a defensive perspective spending full time with the offensive coordinators. OK. Maybe this is to help Roman identify and make better adjustments during the game. That would be nice.

DOWNSIDE: We teach someone that is likely going to be on the staff only temporarily the inside scoop on the 49ers system and coaches thinking. Bad if he goes somewhere else next year.

I think this is mostly as a favor to Mangini to give HIM some offensive experience so he can get another HC gig. But if that is the case, I hope they are taking steps to sequester him from some of the inside workings of the offensive system.

He already has offensive experience, being an offensive assistant under Ted Machibroda previously.

I'm sure this has been pointed out above, but wouldn't it be more likely that Mangini is an insurance policy for losing Fangio as opposed to Roman? And, this also might say that there is tension in the organization about Fangio's reluctance to substitute on the D-line. After all, Baalke did say it was a philosophical problem when talking about rotating d-line players during a given game.

I think Fangio is fine, I don't see him going anywhere, nor do I see anyone offering him a head coaching gig. To me this move indicates that Roman needs some more assistance in terms of developing a game plan that reliably attacks a defense and adjusts to what they are doing. Both Rams games last season illustrated some of the issues I and others have had with Roman's inability to adjust and exploit what a defense is giving him if it doesn't suit his original gameplan.
I think people is really reading too much into this hiring. Fangio isn't going anywhere.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
There is no downside.

We have one of the better minds of the NFL who has championship and coaching experience.

If Roman leaves he could be a front runner for OC.

I don't know about all that, that'd be like an Andy Reid sort of move. I think more likely he could be a replacement for Donatell as DB's coach.

Smart move.

Teams have been interested in Donatel. Maybe his contract will be ending soon?
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I still don't get the worries many fans have about Kaep, I just don't. It's like many watched a completely different season. When I saw Kaep pass form the pocket I saw a dangerous QB. When I saw him out the pocket I saw very dangerous QB. Would people rather Kaep sit back in the pocket like a statue and take sacks just to honor a philosophy? Kaep plays the game that's in front of him and how the D plays him.
People need to stop being so fuking at the success we're having, root for the type of player Kaep is, and stop b***hing about the kind of player they think Kaep isn't or they think he needs to be!! I'm quite sure JH & Co. have a firm grip on what Kaep needs to improve on and I'm pretty sure it isn't what many think. I don't think Kaep has a pocket passing issue. In my mind, the biggest thing Kaep needs to improve on is "prove it". Continue to prove why JH let Alex Smith remain on the bench. Prove to the rest of the league that that SB run was no fluke (like many idiots are implying). Prove to the resat of the league (and some doubting fans) that he is elite. Prove that he is the "real deal" that obviously some fans don't think he is.

For all you so-called fans gargling on the balls of Russell Wilson keep this in mind: Russell Wilson was a rookie that played a very soft schedule and, thus, snuck up on teams. Had they had a playoff schedule like we had the outcome likely would have been altogether different. Also, keep in mind that Kaep was groomed for a season under perhaps the best coaching staff in the game, with coaches who actually teach. So if anything it's Russell Wilson who'll be more likely to experience a sophomore slump.

This season, the Seabuzzards will be brought back to earth.

I think Seattle had an incredible streak of luck last year at times, every bounce seemed to go exactly their way......the odds that continues into this upcoming season are basically zero. I think they'll come back to earth a bit this season, as much as people talked about the lucky bounces that the 49ers got in 2011, Seattle went well beyond that, I mean they won with a game winning interception for crying out loud.

I don't think enough people here give Seattle the respect they deserve. I hate them like everyone else but they've built quite a great team over there. I don't think they have a weak position at all.
Share 49ersWebzone