LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Julian Peterson start over Ahmad Brooks?

Originally posted by Wodwo:
No, Peterson wouldn't start over Brooks. Peterson is not a fit at 3-4 OLB. He would not be able to hold the edge, which is just as important as rushing the passer. Peterson was the "Mike" LB in the 3-4 when we played it, IIRC. He is just too small to play 3-4 OLB. Brooks is about 35 Lbs. heavier than Peterson was. He'd get traded to a 4-3 team.

Bryant Young would have pushed any player on our current DL for a starting role, including Justin Smith. He would start over McDonald.

Jeremy Newberry would start over Goodwin if he were healthy.

Meh, that's all the thought I'm putting into this.

JP and Brooks had different roles. I remember any time a Tackle even flashed a look at JP, JP would stop in his tracks and lock up with the Tackle. He sucked as a pass rusher. JP was a top cover LB since we had him sprint back to a Deep Third at times...but rushing the QB, JP sucked.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Run right at the lightning quick , 235 speedster LB ...that was the plan

Yes, that's correct. Peterson was not good against the run and he had trouble setting the edge. He wouldn't work in this defensive scheme at all. Brooks is just as lightening quick (they ran almost identical 40's), but he's 20 pounds heavier and he's taller. Brooks is kind of a freak. The only reason he doesn't get more adulation is because he plays with Willis, Bowman and Aldon Smith. But remember, in the last four years Brooks has gotten 23.5 sacks. In Peterson's last four years with the Niners he had 14 sacks. Bottom line: Brooks plays the run better, rushes the QB better and does just fine in flat coverage - he's a better all-around linebacker.
My answer to this question is...wtf are you smoking and where can I buy some?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Tony Parrish would start over Whitner.

Bryant Young would start over RayMac

Fred Beasly (maybe a younger version) would get the start over Miller

Eric Johnson would've made a great backup.

damn i remember Eric Johnson would get cracked every time i seen him catch the ball lol

Bryant Young played with heart all his career

I loved Fred Beasly back in the day especially that sweet long pass for a td he caught against the steelers

Tony Parrish only had one nut but played like he had four
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, that's correct. Peterson was not good against the run and he had trouble setting the edge. He wouldn't work in this defensive scheme at all. Brooks is just as lightening quick (they ran almost identical 40's), but he's 20 pounds heavier and he's taller. Brooks is kind of a freak. The only reason he doesn't get more adulation is because he plays with Willis, Bowman and Aldon Smith. But remember, in the last four years Brooks has gotten 23.5 sacks. In Peterson's last four years with the Niners he had 14 sacks. Bottom line: Brooks plays the run better, rushes the QB better and does just fine in flat coverage - he's a better all-around linebacker.

This is the truth.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Peterson played for six years with the 49er and had 21.5 sacks--less than 4 sacks per year.

In four years with the 49ers, Brooks has had 24.5 sacks--more than 6 a year.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Peterson played for six years with the 49er and had 21.5 sacks--less than 4 sacks per year.

In four years with the 49ers, Brooks has had 24.5 sacks--more than 6 a year.
Peterson was not sent after the QB nearly as much as Brooks is. JP would make this squad over Brooks. He was a physical freak and a very effective all around LB'er who could truly lay the lumber if needed.
this guy says yes:

Hey, my thread got bumped.

And this is a important because. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
J.P in the 4-3 ..Yes ...In the 3-4 ..NO
He was a 98 in madden at one point /
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
J.P in the 4-3 ..Yes ...In the 3-4 ..NO

This!
Naw not in our system
Share 49ersWebzone