There are 230 users in the forums

Is this our last season with Roman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
i hope so

Oh s**t .. here we go.

his playing calling was suspect in many games this past year. he called two very very good games in a row in the playoffs and then , sad to say, he picked the worst time to have his worst three calls of the year on the biggest stage in the nfl world. I hope he has learned but if he leaves it would not be tragic. i think I kept pretty calm

I wonder if Harbs has the final say on the play calls or if it is all Roman in those situations.... or any situation for that matter. As a former NFL QB you would have to assume Harbaugh could have called those plays a bit better.
Originally posted by BayArea:
I wonder if Harbs has the final say on the play calls or if it is all Roman in those situations.... or any situation for that matter. As a former NFL QB you would have to assume Harbaugh could have called those plays a bit better.

re watch the breakdown of those four plays, if alex boone on first down stays on dernelle ellerby then bruce miller picks up ray lewis and he walks in the endzone or at least gets to the 1 yd line, on 2nd down he kaep misses a wide open randy moss in the back of the endzone and on 3rd down the original run play to kaep is wide open if they get the play called in time but it was bad clock management, i dont necessarily believe it was the play calling
Inconvenient truth has it right. As long as Harbaugh , the OC, DC, and HC at Stanford, stays, we are fine. What we need to change tho is that JH calls the game, and roman makes suggestions. Also OC should work the O during the week, helping jH, and then on sunday, HC calls the plays. Simple: that way if you lose your OC, no big deal, the HC is calling plays anyway. i've advocated this way back in the noln fiasco, continuing thru the bigger BM fiasco, until we got a HC who was also an OC.
It has to be that way. OCs just move around too much(bellichek , eg), and it never seemed to bother bellicheks teams because he called the plays. Coach Harbaugh should be calling the plays and roman should have some input. Period. Watch us go thru a string of OCs, after we win our next few SBs.Then it will be obvious why the HC should call the game.
Originally posted by adacosta24:
Originally posted by BayArea:

re watch the breakdown of those four plays, if alex boone on first down stays on dernelle ellerby then bruce miller picks up ray lewis and he walks in the endzone or at least gets to the 1 yd line, on 2nd down he kaep misses a wide open randy moss in the back of the endzone and on 3rd down the original run play to kaep is wide open if they get the play called in time but it was bad clock management, i dont necessarily believe it was the play calling

Point taken. A lot of s**t went wrong I won't blame it all on the play calling by any means. Still even despite all that you mentioned you got to think at least one running play should have been in order.
.....Roman Candlestick
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
The Roman will crucify Chryst.

Amen.

Originally posted by Leathaface:
I can't believe there would be anyone who wouldn't want Roman to remain as our OC. The guy is a play design genius. He puts players in position to succeed and is an innovative genius. He maxed out Alex Smith and has turned our offense into a machine with Kap.

Most of the time his playcalling is great.

Unfortunately for us, he went brain dead on those last 6 yards...but I'd still rather have him over any other OC right now.

this

I hope he stays but I'm surprised he's still here for this 2013.
Is Mangini a Defensive or Offensive guru/coach ??,, If he's hired (and is offensive minded), this could be a prelude/answer to the this question/post ??
If it's our last season, then 2014 may be a less creative run-game but a better pass game.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Is Mangini a Defensive or Offensive guru/coach ??,, If he's hired (and is offensive minded), this could be a prelude/answer to the this question/post ??

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

::::Slowly Backs Out Of Thread::::
Depends on how the season plays out.

He can either shine like a star or the alternative.

The 3rd variable , and I'm certain there are more, is that he doesn't like any of the new HC opportunities available.

Example - if there is a situation similar to Raiders when Al was running the show. That was really a no-win scenario for any head coach and Gruden was one in a million.

He'd have to feel he'd be in a situation that would allow him to run the show.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Probably. If Harbaugh isn't already grooming the successor he's probably got a line of potential OC candidates salivating at the chance to work with Kaep, the OL, the rest of the tools on offense, and Harbaugh.

Who are the top internal canidates? I think Chryst would be next in line
his playing calling was suspect in many games this past year. he called two very very good games in a row in the playoffs and then , sad to say, he picked the worst time to have his worst three calls of the year on the biggest stage in the nfl world. I hope he has learned but if he leaves it would not be tragic. i think I kept pretty calm

He likes to use a lot of gimmick plays but seems a bit slow on the uptake when his s**t doesn't work. He seems to fall in love with his own gameplan and has a hard time deviating when it becomes obvious that it simply isn't working.
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
Who are the top internal canidates? I think Chryst would be next in line

Except he was such a horrendous OC before that nobody has offered him the job in over a decade.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone