There are 241 users in the forums

Is this our last season with Roman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh, boy, Roman. Good games...bad games. Good calls...bad calls. What still smarts 4 months later is that from the 5 yd line on 2nd down he didn't have at least 4 plays to call. Instead, it was mass confusion and pandemonium, and worse, JH didn't have 4 plays to call from the 5yd line either. Had Coach Walsh been in that position he would have instantly had half a dozen plays to call immediately. Our guys, OC and HC are just green, altho I pray they finally have that out of their system. Several problems bedeviled us all yr and getting plays in on time was one. We all hated that, and by half way thru last season when it continued, enough was said that JH finally quit discussing the plays called and let Roman do it.

My preference would been to have let JH call the plays and Roman could make suggestions. It IS Coach Harbaugh's team, however. As for not having ready set plays for any goal line situation....that just blows me away. It is inconcievable that neither guy had a clue as what to call. So, say what you will about Roman, and yes he is so much better than what we have had since Coach Walsh, one would hope that he could be improved upon. Actually, it would really be nice if he improved upon himself. Like cc, if we lose him....well, we lose him. Again my preference is for JH to make his own calls, and have the OC run the team during the week, do the OC scut work, but Coach calls the O during the game. I would like that a lot better. It also allows for an OC to leave and the team doesn't notice it that much because JH is calling the O anyway.

Does anybody really think the Patriots got thrown upside down every time an OC left to be HC elsewhere? No, and it shouldn't be that way here either. Recall when noln was HC and GM(good Lord!), when his OC left( and good ones do for HC slots, Norv , for example), every yr we had an OC of the yr....and our O was horrendous. I think having an OC call the game is not a good idea, rather the OC should do what he can to help the HC and let the HC call the game plays. That way if you lose an OC, it doesn't matter. But that is just a personal opinion. As for Roman, if he leaves we will do just fine. If he stays, that's fine too...I just want to see our HC call the plays. That is why...your HC should be an OC....and NOT a former DC. It is also why I was so excited about having JH as HC. Having 2 DCs, noln and BM as HC just didn't work because they knew no O. Coach H does.
dbl post
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I don't care. He goes full retard at the stupidest times, and I have plenty of faith in Harbaugh to find a replacement.

a fake toss at your own one yard line to ginn jr.. there's an appealing combination

Roman hasn't been perfect at times, for sure... But I still prefer him to our other coordinator. Fangio is extremely unimpressive in my opinion, a man that gets away with having great players to toy with. Man up, 2 deep... oh how will other OC's ever learn to beat that????? (see playoffs)
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by LVJay:
yea, norv turner wants to come back as soon as he gets fired from chargers!

Uhhhhhhh ...... Norv DID get fired by the Chargers. My sarcasm meter is busted.

Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by LVJay:
yea, norv turner wants to come back as soon as he gets fired from chargers!

• SaksV
  • Veteran
All issues pertaining to Clock Management are the Play-callers responsibility (OC or HC...in our case, it's the OC).

All issues pertaining to actual play-calling are the Head Coaches responsibility even if he has given play-calling duties to the OC.
The Head Coach has a direct line with the OC and can hear ever single play he calls from the booth to his headset.

Sometimes plays are called in so fast, that an unprepared Head Coach isn't always able to ask "Hey, what are we running this play?" (See Mike Nolan).

Sometimes the Head Coach is so inept on the offensive side of the ball that it doesn't matter what the OC calls, he won't be able to veto a poor call because he can't tell the difference (See Mike Singletary)

In the 49ers current situation, the questionable play-calling is less excuseable because Jim Harbaugh has shown and proven that:
A) The "speed" of an NFL game isn't too difficult for him to handle offensively
B) He's a former QB and offensive mind so he's very knowledgeable in this department.
C) (And this is the biggest one IMO) Although Greg Roman PICKS the plays from the gamesheet (he typically picks three, hence why some of the plays come in so damn late!) Harbaugh is the person who actually SAYS in the plays to the QB's helmet headset.

This means Harbaugh had his hand in manufacturing the playbook, putting together a weekly gameplan, contributes to the game-calls-sheet, reviews plays in mid-series and relays the chosen plays to the Quarterback....and STILL we have head-scratchers at crucial moments.

This one falls on the HC's shoulders ultimately but Greg Roman doesn't get a pass. He's called incrdible games, and has called total stupidity..the most recent being SB XLVII... Roman in my opinion is here until we can find someone internal or from Stanford who can do just as good a job. I like Roman but his time may be sooner than people would like to admit.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

Kaepernick's college coach < RT @danhinxmanRGJ: Chris Ault's agent, Bob LaMonte, confirms Ault has agreed to consultant position w/ Chiefs
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

Kaepernick's college coach < RT @danhinxmanRGJ: Chris Ault's agent, Bob LaMonte, confirms Ault has agreed to consultant position w/ Chiefs

Bummer, thought we'd hire him and he'd take over when Roman left.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Dan Hinxman ‏@danhinxmanRGJ

Chirs Ault's agent, Bob LaMonte, said Packers, Ravens and Vikings also stepped up with offers, but Chiefs was the best one for Ault.
I can't believe there would be anyone who wouldn't want Roman to remain as our OC. The guy is a play design genius. He puts players in position to succeed and is an innovative genius. He maxed out Alex Smith and has turned our offense into a machine with Kap.

Most of the time his playcalling is great.

Unfortunately for us, he went brain dead on those last 6 yards...but I'd still rather have him over any other OC right now.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I can't believe there would be anyone who wouldn't want Roman to remain as our OC. The guy is a play design genius. He puts players in position to succeed and is an innovative genius. He maxed out Alex Smith and has turned our offense into a machine with Kap.

Most of the time his playcalling is great.

Unfortunately for us, he went brain dead on those last 6 yards...but I'd still rather have him over any other OC right now.

Dude isn't perfect. No one is. I want him to stay as our OC because he has a great offensive mind.

Likely not going to happen though. He will be offered HC jobs after the season, more than a few if we win the SB.
[ Edited by NinerGod on May 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM ]

• Garce
  • Veteran
y
Oh we totally have a chance at Shaw... Head coaches at national powerhouse programs love to come to the NFL to be offensive coordinators.
Can't think of any.

Usually they will stay at that powerhouse cause they will get a HC job at the next level. Like JH and Chip Kelly or Miami and Tampa's Coach. Doesn't make sense to go down to OC if you are already a HC.

As for Roman, you notice when the niners suck they couldn't keep their OC in the beginning like Mike and Norv. Because the niners won, teams can't talk to Roman till later and that includes colleges. This is a problem because in college you need to hit the recruiting trail, in pros the gm, needs to go over the personnel that you want to keep or look for, otherwise you will be behind schedule compared to the rest.
As long as we have Harbaugh then it really doesn't matter. Won't be a huge loss at all.
Dan Hinxman ‏@danhinxmanRGJ

Chirs Ault's agent, Bob LaMonte, said Packers, Ravens and Vikings also stepped up with offers, but Chiefs was the best one for Ault.

The push by the Packers was strictly from the fear of getting steamrolled by Kaep's arm and legs week 1 like they did in the playoffs
YES! This is his last year with us. Roman will be the Carolina Panthers head coach next season. Book it!
Share 49ersWebzone