LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

2013 Final Roster?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 7square:
AB, do you really expect them to keep Lockette rather than Williams? Methinks Williams is, at the least, our #1 punt returner.

Mario won't be ready for the opening day, I don't know if PUP or IR, so I think Williams will make it.

I think WRs will be

Crabs, AB, AJ, Patton, Williams, Lockette

With Williams as the PR if he is healthy.

We started with a lot of WR but wound up with only 1 in the SB.

We had the same problem the year before.

We might have won 2 super bowls the last 2 years if we had more WR depth

I think Baalke goes with 6 at all times and I think Mario won't be ready on opening day
AB, do you really expect them to keep Lockette rather than Williams? Methinks Williams is, at the least, our #1 punt returner.

everyone knows I dont like Williams, never have been high on him. At best he is the 6th WR, and rather keep potential in Lockette over Williams. If we keep 6 WRs, only 5 will see the field, so by elimination, Crabs and Boldin start, Mario is 3, AJJ and Patton are active IMO, leaving Williams out IMO.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

everyone knows I dont like Williams, never have been high on him. At best he is the 6th WR, and rather keep potential in Lockette over Williams. If we keep 6 WRs, only 5 will see the field, so by elimination, Crabs and Boldin start, Mario is 3, AJJ and Patton are active IMO, leaving Williams out IMO.
AB you are the salary cap master. Of course. I know you might not like Williams but I don't Baalke goes thin at WR. If anything, he goes with the 6 I mentioned plus Mario on IR and maybe he is available in October.

We might have won 2 SBs if we had any kind of WR depth

Last year, Williams and Mario got hurt

The year before we had Swain and Hastings
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

AB you are the salary cap master. Of course. I know you might not like Williams but I don't Baalke goes thin at WR. If anything, he goes with the 6 I mentioned plus Mario on IR and maybe he is available in October.

We might have won 2 SBs if we had any kind of WR depth

Last year, Williams and Mario got hurt

The year before we had Swain and Hastings

We will go 6 deep with or without Mario on PUP I agree. I just think right now, given cap and status, Williams is the 6th best WR, he is small for a WR. Mario if healthy is clearly better option than Kyle is. Lockette posses more potential IMO.
QB Kaepernick McCoy Daniels
RB Gore Hunter James
FB Miller
TE V.Davis V.MacDonald Celek
WR Crabtree Boldin Manningham Patton Jenkins K.Williams
OT Staley A.Davis Snyder
OG Iupati Boone Looney Kilgore
C Goodwin

ST Lee Dawson Jennings Moody

NT Dorsey Dial I.Williams
DE J.Smith R.MacDonald Carradine Okoye
ILB Willis Bowman Scuta Flemming
OLB Al.Smith Brooks Haralson Lemonier
CB Brown Asomugha Rogers Culliver Cox
S Whitner Reid Dahl Spillman Robinson

PS
Marquardt
Divens
Lockette
Stupar
Hampton
Omameh
C.Johnson
UDFA QB
[ Edited by Montana1977 on May 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM ]

I've thought Williams was going to be cut every year but he still seems to hold on. I see him holding on this year at least until Manningham is able to play, There may be a toss up between he and Lockette. The fact that the latter worked out with CK in the off season may make a difference. Perhaps Williams will wind up in KC. If they keep both Lockette and Williams then who leaves when Manningham returns...will be interesting.

Williams is also a STs guy so someone would have to beat him out as punt returner for him to lose his roster spot.

I see Williams as the 9ers S Curry (Warriors), who is a bit small and injury prone but with enough talent to hang on. Curry has taken a huge jump this year in production and has stayed somewhat healthy, hope Williams can either do the same or go else where (not saying Williams is capable of being a super star though).
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Why does everyone have Manningham as the 3rd receiver? He's not going to be ready until mid season at best. The list should look like this.

1 Crabtree
2 Boldin
3 Jenkins
4 Patton
5 Williams
6 Manningham
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Why does everyone have Manningham as the 3rd receiver? He's not going to be ready until mid season at best. The list should look like this.

1 Crabtree
2 Boldin
3 Jenkins
4 Patton
5 Williams
6 Manningham

If Williams is 100% percent healthy, he's #3
Originally posted by KID9R:

1 Crabtree
2 Boldin
3 Jenkins
4 Patton
5 Williams
6 Manningham

For the 1st half of the season anyway
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Mario won't be ready for the opening day, I don't know if PUP or IR, so I think Williams will make it.

I think WRs will be

Crabs, AB, AJ, Patton, Williams, Lockette

With Williams as the PR if he is healthy.

We started with a lot of WR but wound up with only 1 in the SB.

We had the same problem the year before.

We might have won 2 super bowls the last 2 years if we had more WR depth

I think Baalke goes with 6 at all times and I think Mario won't be ready on opening day

Great point! It's so hard to figure where the needs will be! The DLine was affected by injuries to J Smith and Dobbs. The OLine made it through the year intact but could easily have suffered a couple of crippling injuries and there goes the season. So maximizing your back ups is vital but you can't over compensate in one area. I think they have used the PS efficiently for depth but that's a risky proposition this year with so many good players to be cut.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

1 Crabtree
2 Boldin
3 Jenkins
4 Patton
5 Williams
6 Manningham

Don't hold your breath, he wasn't very good to start with, now with an ACL, he's going to be that much worse.
That is a good list.

Spillman is a SS and Robinson is a FS though. Dahl will be the 2nd FS.

Heres how I see the safties:
SS: Whitner, Spillman
FS: Reid, Dahl, Robinson/McBath

The real competition will be between Robinson and McBath for the fifth safety position. Robinson will be playing to show he has potential, McBath will be competing for a ST spot. Heres how the scoring goes so far: Number of times each player has made a heads up, instinctual play to prevent a touchdown in the super bowl: McBath 1, Robinson 0. I dont think Robinson is just going to waltz into camp and be given this spot just because he is younger.

I can see McBath turning into a spillman-like player for us. He plays very well on ST for a few years, continues to show that he is a good football player and eventually works his way up the roster to the point where he is a top backup and a valuable ST player. I think Spillman will be competing for the starting SS spot next year.

Robinson is in the Cam Johnson/Darius Flemming boat. Meaning he needs to show the coaches now that he is worthy of a roster spot. The talent level has increased significantly at those backup spots.
The battle for 3rd WR should be good if both the young guys show up, but the battle for backup DE will be the best positional battle in TC and preseason. Dobbs, Tukuafu and Dial will be competing for 2 positions. That should be great. (im assuming that carradine gets a roster spot by default and that Dobbs can compete after injuring his knee last year)

Dobbs has been the best backup DE in the preseason the past two years, but is he actually good enough to compete for a spot in the rotation? Tukuafu probably has the least amount of talent of the competing players, but he adds value because he can play the FB position. Dial was drafted too high to be stashed on the PS.

It makes it all the better that it will be Tomsula making the choice, so whatever happens we should be much improved at the backup DE.
minor points:

I think Moody will be competing with Wilhoite for the 4th MLB position. both can play ST. (will grant come back? probably not, i thought he was a solid backup but he is replaceable)

I think the team keeps 4 OLBs. Unless Johnson or Flemming show that either of them is good enough for the team to keep an extra olb just for them, they will just keep 4.

I think they will try their hardest to use the 8th OL spot on a backup OT. Hopefully one of those young guys steps up.
I'm not as optimistic on some of the later round guys making the 53. I can't see Dial making the 53, and Bykowski will have to impress in camp to avoid the PS
Share 49ersWebzone