There are 153 users in the forums

Kap voted to Top 100 players of 2013 vNFL players vote......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am curious in this Quarterback ranking how we give the edge to either Kaep or Wilson. If you are going to compare Colin and Russell, then you have to examine who operates their offense better based on what they are trying to do? Both have been in the league for basically one year (Yes Colin has played for two but stared only last year). Both were fantastic in their first year and are worthy of high praise. Wilson lead us back from 20 down in Atlanta and with 31 seconds to go, the blame goes on our defense for losing that game. Colin lead the niners from 17 points down and your defense finished the job. No objective person could honestly say either one is better, this discussion can be shelved till the end of the year after all the other teams have game planned for both and year two's body of work is complete.
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
I am curious in this Quarterback ranking how we give the edge to either Kaep or Wilson. If you are going to compare Colin and Russell, then you have to examine who operates their offense better based on what they are trying to do? Both have been in the league for basically one year (Yes Colin has played for two but stared only last year). Both were fantastic in their first year and are worthy of high praise. Wilson lead us back from 20 down in Atlanta and with 31 seconds to go, the blame goes on our defense for losing that game. Colin lead the niners from 17 points down and your defense finished the job. No objective person could honestly say either one is better, this discussion can be shelved till the end of the year after all the other teams have game planned for both and year two's body of work is complete.
us? you're on the team? awesome man
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Their rushing offense has ranked 14th out of the last 3 years which is average and Cutler has had the luxury last year of a league worst 12.3 yard per drop. Had half those balls been caught he would have had elite numbers. He picks up first downs a league best 36.6% percent of the time, amazing since he is always running for his life. His scrambling was 5.7 yards per carry which was 4th best in the NFL. In fact the only quarterbacks that had a higher deep ball completion was Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco.The Bears were ranked 3rd to last in pass blocking :https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/ Over the last three years in games that Culter leaves early or doesn't play the Bears are 2-10. So you can have a biased view of him all you want but Culter is an elite quarterback.. It would be much more through on your part if you would provide some stats to back up you unsubstantiated claims..

Here you go. This will be my last post on the subject because I don't want to derail the thread any further. It's surprising that you pulled an article from PFF, yet so many of your points are invalidated by their site.

Kaepernick had the highest deep ball accuracy in the league. Cutler wasn't even in the top 10 https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/20/adot-adjusted-completion-percentage/

Cutler also has the 3'rd highest interception % when pressured and 3'rd lowest throwaway % on plays he's pressured. That combination shows that rather than throw the ball away, he makes poor decisions and forces the ball with risky passes. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/22/sig-stats-snapshot-passing-under-pressure/. There were several players who took pressure on a similar %, but only Dalton was worse at sacks/int's.

The Bears offensive line is not great at pass protection, but Cutler's holds onto the ball the 4'th longest in the league before taking a sack. Just like Alex Smith, a lot of the sacks he takes are his own fault because he gets the ball out too slow or doesn't throw it away when he should. This is another example of terrible decisions under pressure. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/. The two worst things a QB can do are take a sack or cause a turnover, and Cutler is one of the worst offenders at both.

82:63 td:int ratio. Their defense has been top 5 in the league in takeaways every year for the past 3 seasons. All they needed was the offense to not turn the ball over so much. Instead, Cutler is the complete opposite; a mediocre passer (not saying his arm strength is mediocre) who makes risky and bad decisions on plays with low chances for success, and has been a turnover machine.

Despite the best kick returner ever, an extremely opportunistic defense, and a top 10 running game 2 of the past 3 years they've hovered around 20'th in the league in points scored per game. Cutler is not elite in any way. He's not even top 10 in any statistic that would indicate good quarterback play (Yards per attempt, td:int ratio, completion %). There are your substantiated claims.
Originally posted by dobophile:
This sounds about right.

Kaep is very talented but he needs to stop skipping legs days at the gym. Dude is becoming too muscular and heavy up top, but his legs remain as scrawny as ever. He will probably snap a tendon or a ligament sometime in the next couple seasons.

Yup, its a common injury I see in the industry, guys become too top heavy and their legs cant support them, its usually the ACL that goes first, He needs to incorporate more lower body workouts or "leg days"
[ Edited by valrod33 on May 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM ]
should be higher.
[ Edited by InHarbsWeTrust on May 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM ]
i wouldn't take this top 100 garbage too serious...jacoby jones is on it. enough said.

kap will be a top flight qb that's all that matters, who cares about these lists
Good for him.
Originally posted by Ballistic:

You will have to forgive my bravado, gets a little emotional during playoff time.

You will have to forgive my bravado, gets a little emotional during playoff time.
its not even training camp

what position do you play? tell us more
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
This sounds about right.

Kaep is very talented but he needs to stop skipping legs days at the gym. Dude is becoming too muscular and heavy up top, but his legs remain as scrawny as ever. He will probably snap a tendon or a ligament sometime in the next couple seasons.

Yup, its a common injury I see in the industry, guys become too top heavy and their legs can support them, its usually the ACL that goes first, He needs to incorporate more lower body workouts or "leg days"

Oh I didn't know you were in the industry. Me, I'm a contractor and a house flipper on the side. I don't understand why he's so insistent on building his arms. It looks to me like he could do with some squats and deadlifts. When I build a house, the most important thing is for there to be a strong foundation. The external cosmetic parts are nice and help the house sell but basically mean nothing if the house is on a weak, crubmling foundation.

....The 2013 season cant get here soon enough!

its not even training camp

what position do you play? tell us more

I play left out!!
Originally posted by valrod33:
This sounds about right.

Yup, its a common injury I see in the industry, guys become too top heavy and their legs can support them, its usually the ACL that goes first, He needs to incorporate more lower body workouts or "leg days"

Oh I didn't know you were in the industry. Me, I'm a contractor and a house flipper on the side. I don't understand why he's so insistent on building his arms. It looks to me like he could do with some squats and deadlifts. When I build a house, the most important thing is for there to be a strong foundation. The external cosmetic parts are nice and help the house sell but basically mean nothing if the house is on a weak, crubmling foundation.

You sound knowledgeable on this subject and I would like to know more about it.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Brady
Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Manning
Matt Ryan
Roethlisberger
Schaub
Flacco
Wilson
Luck
RG3
Stafford

those are the guys I would rank ahead of Kaep, right now.

14th sounds about right, RIGHT NOW.
I agree excpet with Stafford and
Wilson or RG3 Stafford too many ints and RG3 and Wilson are about the same as kap with them beinf first year starters and all. Kap did get farther in playoffs so its push for me. Alex should be on this list and should have last year too. I hope Gore gets top 20 deservers it.
81 on the NFLN list is preposterous. I would have rather him been omitted for lack of body of work, or he placed where he rightfully belongs. Anyway, the RSPWP2 massive twitter fantasy draft is more fun to follow anyway. CK went 11th overall there:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013-rsp-football-writers-project/writers-project-draft-room/
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
81 on the NFLN list is preposterous. I would have rather him been omitted for lack of body of work, or he placed where he rightfully belongs. Anyway, the RSPWP2 massive twitter fantasy draft is more fun to follow anyway. CK went 11th overall there:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013-rsp-football-writers-project/writers-project-draft-room/

81 is ridiculous when you consider his production on the field. If you take his stats and forecast what he would do in 16 games, he would be close to 4,000 yds passing and 1,000 yards rushing. Yet he's ranked 14th among signal callers. Wrong again NFLN, he's a top 5 QB in my eyes.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone