There are 213 users in the forums

Darryl Morris (2013 UDFA CB)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Even if guys like Cooper and Morris don't make the roster this year if we can manage to keep them on the PS all year without them being signed to a 53 man roster they will have a great shot at making it next year. Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock and Wright (if he makes it this year) are all FA's and Rogers is likely to get cut if he doesn't restructure after this season. These guys just have to keep working hard and they will get their chance. Also, with the way we use our PS they very well could be promoted to the 53 if an injury occurs.

Cox will be a restricted free agent so he's guaranteed to be back next year unless he does something really stupid.
He does look impressive.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Cox will be a restricted free agent so he's guaranteed to be back next year unless he does something really stupid.

Yeah, looking like he will be back but should still be some open spots. Doubt we re-sign all them: Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock. Even if we did unless Rogers restructures there should be his spot out there although the open spots could go to a high pick rookie. Still, Cooper and Morris should have a shot at like #5 or possibly 6 next year if they don't get signed onto a 53 man roster. Then again I could see us taking 2 rookies high depending on who is left so maybe not. Could be Culliver, Cox, Asomugha?, High Pick Rookie, 2-3rd Round Rookie... Could be Culliver, Cox, High Pick, High Pick, Morris or Cooper as well though.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He does look impressive.

if we place him on the ps, some team is gong to take him and put him on their 53.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, looking like he will be back but should still be some open spots. Doubt we re-sign all them: Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock. Even if we did unless Rogers restructures there should be his spot out there although the open spots could go to a high pick rookie. Still, Cooper and Morris should have a shot at like #5 or possibly 6 next year if they don't get signed onto a 53 man roster. Then again I could see us taking 2 rookies high depending on who is left so maybe not. Could be Culliver, Cox, Asomugha?, High Pick Rookie, 2-3rd Round Rookie... Could be Culliver, Cox, High Pick, High Pick, Morris or Cooper as well though.

I agree they definitely have a chance next year, I was just pointing out Cox will only kind of be a free agent since restricted free agents never leave their teams.
Would love to see him win a final DB spot on the team. Hopefully his ST's ability is good enough to keep him here. I really like the potential. If/when Brown and Rogers go, we'll have to replenish the depth. ACL recoveries are no guarantee and Morris looks to have a very high upside right now considering his natural gifts and apparently solid performance so far, since I really haven't seen anything negative said or written about him at this point. We'll see.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Would love to see him win a final DB spot on the team. Hopefully his ST's ability is good enough to keep him here. I really like the potential. If/when Brown and Rogers go, we'll have to replenish the depth. ACL recoveries are no guarantee and Morris looks to have a very high upside right now considering his natural gifts and apparently solid performance so far, since I really haven't seen anything negative said or written about him at this point. We'll see.

Who do you cut to keep him around?

This is the problem right there...with Fangio saying he'll keep 5 maybe 6 DB's. I really like Cooper and Morris a lot but what do you do? To the PS they go, I guess.

CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris is playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page24/#QiYuWBFahIH9wdoD.99
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is the problem right there...with Fangio saying he'll keep 5 maybe 6 DB's. I really like Cooper and Morris a lot but what do you do? To the PS they go, I guess.

CB (6): Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha, Eric Wright, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock; Chris Culliver (PUP) - Note: Marcus Cooper is playing very disciplined/physical outside (love his size) and Darryl Morris is playing fantastic in practice. It's not over yet. Cooper and Morris could very well end up pushing Brock off the roster but it's a long shot right now.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/173235-guess-the-53/page24/#QiYuWBFahIH9wdoD.99

Wright is still on the PUP/NFI. He would not count against the roster. We could stash one of these guys on the active roster until he's activated and then put them on the PS mid-season once Wright is activated.

Wright is still on the PUP/NFI. He would not count against the roster. We could stash one of these guys on the active roster until he's activated and then put them on the PS mid-season once Wright is activated.

Awesome point! I will update once we ge the official word he'll be put on the PUP list to start the season.

Maybe he can sprain an ankle so they can put him on IR.
[ Edited by saj4423 on Aug 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM ]

Awesome point! I will update once we ge the official word he'll be put on the PUP list to start the season.

Yep, that's essentially my thinking. I think we keep 6 CBs either way, and this way we might give ourselves a way to technically keep 7 with us.
Yep, that's essentially my thinking. I think we keep 6 CBs either way, and this way we might give ourselves a way to technically keep 7 with us.

Depth upon depth!
There goes Morris making yet another play. Knocks down a potential TD in the endzone on a long pass towards the end of the 4th
Out of any position the CB's have stepped up the most this year. We are loaded and that's with Culliver down. Asomugha, Cox and Brock have really stepped up. Cooper and Morris are probably worthy too but just don't have the room. Maybe one makes it but hopefully they are around on our PS and have a shot at the team next year. I fell a lot better about these guys than I did when Culliver went down.
Share 49ersWebzone