LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
I could see Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, Jenkins and either Manningham or Williams being the 5 to make the team. If AJ is bad though he could be cut.

They will carry six, no doubt in my mind. Especially with so many playing on their contract year.
Comparing Jenkins with Patton is like comparing apples to oranges. Patton is more of a possession receiver, he's built more solidly, and he probably isn't going to run away from DBs. He reminds me a lot of the guys that Green Bay has been drafting in the past few years...very solid possession guys who have good hands, run good routes, have quick feet, and just make a boatload of catches. The Niners got him to be a good number 2 receiver down the road...and he probably will be. The guy loves the game of football.

Jenkins was drafted as a downfield threat...someone who could stretch the field. In other words, he has a burst and can separate. He also has good hands and runs good routes. He's got some real talent (and by the way, probably would have gone to the Rams in the pick right after the Niners if SF hadn't picked him). As many of you know, one of AJ's biggest problems in his rookie year was his lack of bulk and strength. I don't think the Niners were happy with his blocking. Something else that he appears to lack, thus far anyway (and someone else in this thread alluded to it), is a killer instinct or if you will, an attack mentality. To me, the poster child for this attitude was Ronnie Lott but Jerry Rice had it too. So did Roger Craig. Those guys just burned to get better and would never back down to a challenge or another player. Kaep seems to have this quality too. I'm not sure Jenkins is wired like that. Hopefully, guys like Boldin can light that fire in him this year.

Cheers!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM ]
I am not basing Jenkins in any way as I believe it was a luxury pick last year...... UNTIL we needed him. He did not show up in any way. Every other available player hit the field before he did. When he was on the field, he looked completely lost. Lined up wrong, an looked kind of surprised when the ball finally came his way. NOW, I'm not writing him off yet and am going to give him a pass for last year, and that is forgiving him for not showing up when we needed him most. I'm hoping he steps up his game because he NEEDS to and we need our younger, cheap players to contribute.

The Patton pick was a need as we have a couple quality receivers, a couple injured returning players who were doing great before injury last year, and bodies with the P word (potential). Patton was great value in the 4th. Thought we would go WR in the 3rd and OLB depth in 4th.... but WTH do I know.... I do know I am a happy fan after this draft!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Actually one of Jenkins biggest strengths is his route running

No, that was one of the bigger knocks against him, that he needed to refine and improve his route-running.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Jenkins doesn't have the athletic arrogance that is expected from a wr to succeed. he might prove me wrong but i've felt that way since day 1

if you're wondering what athletic arrogance is...you know it when you see it, its ultra confidence, a swagger. crabtree has it, boldin has it, vd has it etc....from the brief clips i've seen of patton he def has it

Isaac Bruce and Marvin Harrison didn't strike me as particularly arrogant on the field as far as the antics and the constant jawing you get from some but on the sidelines you could tell by their respective demeanors
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Actually one of Jenkins biggest strengths is his route running

No, that was one of the bigger knocks against him, that he needed to refine and improve his route-running.

That's every rookie...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
That's every rookie...

Yes and no.....does every rookie need to refine their game when it comes to the NFL? Yes,do some need a lot more refining than others? Yes...Jenkins fell into that latter category.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Maybe they don't think they can resign Crabtree so they drafted Quinton to pair up with Jenkins to become the next dynamic duo

With the new TV contracts next season, there should be no problems signing Crabs. He's in the best possible situation he could be in, and he knows it.
Crabtree and Jenkins were our only WRs under contract for more than one year, Boldin, Manningham and Kyle Williams are all FAs after this year. We dont know how Manningham and Williams are gonna do coming back from knee injuries. We needed more depth unless you believe in Ricardo Lockette and Chad Hall
Jenkins will have more catches this year than last year

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Crabtree and Jenkins were our only WRs under contract for more than one year, Boldin, Manningham and Kyle Williams are all FAs after this year. We dont know how Manningham and Williams are gonna do coming back from knee injuries. We needed more depth unless you believe in Ricardo Lockette and Chad Hall

This
Jenkins will have a short leash. If he shows something in preseason (which i think he will) then he'll be the #3 or #4 WR. I personally thin KW is a goner.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Jenkins will have more catches this year than last year

That's a bold prediction right there
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Jenkins will have a short leash. If he shows something in preseason (which i think he will) then he'll be the #3 or #4 WR. I personally thin KW is a goner.

I don't know man. Kyle williams is our only experinced nfl return man.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I don't know man. Kyle williams is our only experinced nfl return man.

KW / Hunter / LMJ will share the KR/PR duties. If they can get Hunter/LMJ to do it, they may be able to cut Williams. But at this point, Williams is the favorite at returner.
Share 49ersWebzone