LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Jenkins doesn't have the athletic arrogance that is expected from a wr to succeed. he might prove me wrong but i've felt that way since day 1

if you're wondering what athletic arrogance is...you know it when you see it, its ultra confidence, a swagger. crabtree has it, boldin has it, vd has it etc....from the brief clips i've seen of patton he def has it
I feel you.
i like how kyle williams is talking us up and hes probably gonna be the odd man out if manningham makes it back to health lol. crabs, boldin, jenkins, patton, manningham and locket if we keep six. so stoked watching boldin catch passes and jenkins looks bigger. hopefully kyle is right about us having one of the best wr corps in the league, even if he wont be here lol
If you havent noticed, our WR depth kinda sucks. Crabtree, Boldin, Williams isnt a real strong top 3. Especially since Boldin isnt going to be around much longer. Manningham is hurt as well.

Drafting Patton was much more of a re-stocking the position type of pick. Marlon Moore is a ST guy, Hastings is a practice squad guy, and Lockette is totally unproven.

In 2 years our WR corps will probably be Crabtree, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette. I dont think the Patton pick said anything about the Jenkins pick. I think it said "We need as many good young WR as we can find."
Originally posted by Wodwo:
QUIT SWOONING OVER JENKINS' MUSCLES AND TELL ME WHAT JOE STALEY IS DOING IN THAT PICTURE!

I'm seriously disturbed.

Keeping his hands warm...he may get some reps at center.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
QUIT SWOONING OVER JENKINS' MUSCLES AND TELL ME WHAT JOE STALEY IS DOING IN THAT PICTURE!

I'm seriously disturbed.

A man touched his junk. It's not a big deal. You need to go somewhere and reflect on your life if this is that big of an issue to you.

Originally posted by Beeker:
I can't wait for the "OMG how did they manage to resign Crabs???" threads. Dude's not going anywhere.

Second - Manningham will not be game ready before mid-season. People need to understand with the severity of his knee injury (ACL,MCL,Meniscus) he is actually rehabbing THREE injuries, not just one. He will start out the season on the PUP list, and stay there as long as is needed.

Agree with Doc that the FO decided too many instead of not enough is better.

Crabs, Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton to start the season.

Go 5 wide with that. Or - Crabs Boldin, Jenkins, Davis, Gore.

Teams will have no clue who to cover.

I foresee the season scoring record going down this year. PREDICTION.

same thing i'm saying, I don't think Crabs will be that much of a headache to resign, it's not 2009 anymore
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i like how kyle williams is talking us up and hes probably gonna be the odd man out if manningham makes it back to health lol. crabs, boldin, jenkins, patton, manningham and locket if we keep six. so stoked watching boldin catch passes and jenkins looks bigger. hopefully kyle is right about us having one of the best wr corps in the league, even if he wont be here lol

If Williams is playing good during the season, he wont be cut in the middle of it when a raw Ham comes back.

Crabs
Boldin
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
are the 5 locks to start the season....with Ham on the PUP

Now do we add a 6th to that list, dunno. But if we do, that guy could be axed if and when Ham comes back.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

If Williams is playing good during the season, he wont be cut in the middle of it when a raw Ham comes back.

Crabs
Boldin
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
are the 5 locks to start the season....with Ham on the PUP

Now do we add a 6th to that list, dunno. But if we do, that guy could be axed if and when Ham comes back.

Yeah, I think this is the most likely scenario.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by Beeker:
I can't wait for the "OMG how did they manage to resign Crabs???" threads. Dude's not going anywhere.

Second - Manningham will not be game ready before mid-season. People need to understand with the severity of his knee injury (ACL,MCL,Meniscus) he is actually rehabbing THREE injuries, not just one. He will start out the season on the PUP list, and stay there as long as is needed.

Agree with Doc that the FO decided too many instead of not enough is better.

Crabs, Boldin, Jenkins, Williams, Patton to start the season.

Go 5 wide with that. Or - Crabs Boldin, Jenkins, Davis, Gore.

Teams will have no clue who to cover.

I foresee the season scoring record going down this year. PREDICTION.

same thing i'm saying, I don't think Crabs will be that much of a headache to resign, it's not 2009 anymore

AGREED. Especially Re: Michael Crabtree. The dude is from Texas, true but that's as far as it goes. He actually loves the Bay if you are truly paying attention.
Besides that, he's tight with Kap and he's guaranteed the majority of the targets as long as he's the #1 guy here. That's not certain if he were to sign elsewhere.

Originally posted by iLL49er:
Jenkins doesn't have the athletic arrogance that is expected from a wr to succeed. he might prove me wrong but i've felt that way since day 1

if you're wondering what athletic arrogance is...you know it when you see it, its ultra confidence, a swagger. crabtree has it, boldin has it, vd has it etc....from the brief clips i've seen of patton he def has it
As a former WR, I get what you're saying but I've seen AJ show flashes of that "Grown Man" athleticism at times.... I think it's too early to call it.
To me, he has shown "athletic arrogance", not in the Larry Fitzgerald/Jerry Rice mold but more like in the Isaac Bruce or a Marvin Harrison variety...
I think many people are sleeping on Kyle Williams. He had a nice bounce back season last year and at the present time, is the teams best punt returner. He can provide something that Ted Ginn did not provide, which is a receiving threat. I like Kyle Williams as our 4th or 5th receiver longterm if we decide to extend him.

Those clamouring for Lockette are simply falling in love with his measurables. He hasn't done a thing yet.

I think the team will carry 6 receivers once again with Crabtree, Boldin, Jenkins, Patton, Williams, and eventually Manningham. It doesn't seem like a strong group, but I'm sure our pass rush didn't seem "strong" at this time 2 years ago after we drafted Aldon Smith. We have two proven guys that will go after the ball and I for one believe that Anquan Boldin was underutilized there. We have talented players behind them that should receive a lot of favorable matchups with the attention that our starting receivers, Vernon Davis, and our QB will receive. By the end of the season, this receiving group will look very strong and will be a proven group.

Boldin is gonna do just what he said. Make Kaep better because Boldin isn't a burner but he runs crisp routes and the QB has to put the ball on him even with tight coverage. Kaep will do this and master this and it will pay huge dividends on 3rd down and the red zone. And because we have been injured at the position the last 2 seasons, I too believe we carry 6 receivers on the 53
Something I think a little overlooked. Can the WR catch Kap's "fastballs" and not worry of broken/jammed fingers? Delanie had a ton of drops from him. Crabs could catch everything he could throw and that is why he is his #1 target. VD a little less so.

Boldin seems like he can catch everything as well, though time will tell.

Lockette's time with Kap might make him look real interesting.

Patton?
[ Edited by OldJoe on May 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Well, mimi camp starts this weekend. I can't wait to see the interviews and training clips.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Something I think a little overlooked. Can the WR catch Kap's "fastballs" and not worry of broken/jammed fingers? Delanie had a ton of drops from him. Crabs could catch everything he could throw and that is why he is his #1 target. VD a little less so.

Patton?

Delanie had a ton of drops from Alex too, so that isn't saying much at all.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OldJoe:

Patton?

Delanie had a ton of drops from Alex too, so that isn't saying much at all.

Yeah, plus I've pointed out several times that last season was an anomaly for Walker.

As for Patton, he might need to adjust to the higher velocity throws, but that's true of most WRs... especially rookies. Patton will be just fine, IMO. He has fantastic hands and a great work ethic.

McDonald is the one I'm worried about. Hopefully I'm correct in my assessment that his drops are due to concentration lapses when he thinks about running before securing the ball. Kap's velocity may actually help that... there won't be time to think.
Share 49ersWebzone