LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

A.J. Jenkins and Quinton Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Okay am i the only one that thinks with the drafting of Quinton Patton in the 4th round of this year's draft was an indication that Baalke wiffed on the Jenkins pick.

The two have many similar qualities such as highly productive senior seasons, good character guys, being the whole offense for their teams.
Even with similar builds Jenkins is 6' 192lbs and ran a 4.39. Patton is 6' 204lbs and ran a 4.53.

Patton may not have the burner speed like Jenkins does but has better hands and route running skills.

Aye but im rooting for A.J. tho!
[ Edited by MisterBuDDha on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
Jenkins.
Agree and disagree. I agree that they are similar in some ways and that they are in pretty direct competition for WR3 status. But I don't think drafting him was any kind of admission about Jenkins. I think the 49ers recognized that he was great value in the 4th round and knew we could use some WR depth and competition.

I'm hoping they are both around for a long time, and I know Harbaugh and Baalke are too.
It's a 4th round pick. I wouldn't read too much into it.
If we had taken a WR earlier, I may agree with you. But Patton fell into our laps at the end of the 4th round. He was the best player at that spot. Plus, after this season, we'll only have three guys under contract... Crabtree, Jenkins, and Patton.

I see Patton more as insurance for Crabree leaving than a replacement for Jenkins. I think our FO has demonstrated it's faith in Jenkins to step up and be our deep threat. His lack of production late last year, with all the injuries was worrisome though.
Not an indication of anything except we picked up an excellent receiver in the 4th.

End of story.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If we had taken a WR earlier, I may agree with you. But Patton fell into our laps at the end of the 4th round. He was the best player at that spot. Plus, after this season, we'll only have three guys under contract... Crabtree, Jenkins, and Patton.

I see Patton more as insurance for Crabree leaving than a replacement for Jenkins. I think our FO has demonstrated it's faith in Jenkins to step up and be our deep threat. His lack of production late last year, with all the injuries was worrisome though.

Somewhat worrisome, yes, but think about it. A raw rookie who was struggling to pick up the offense and struggling to adjust to the NFL doesn't just suddenly become ready from one week to the next simply because of injuries. If he's not ready in Week 11, he's not going to become ready in Week 12 just because a spot opens up.

Now he has his first full offseason, so hopefully we see something.
Need depth for next year with Crabtree a pending free agent... and was best player on board.... judge your draft picks three years after they are drafted prior to calling them a bust (Unless you are Balmer)
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Somewhat worrisome, yes, but think about it. A raw rookie who was struggling to pick up the offense and struggling to adjust to the NFL doesn't just suddenly become ready from one week to the next simply because of injuries. If he's not ready in Week 11, he's not going to become ready in Week 12 just because a spot opens up.

Now he has his first full offseason, so hopefully we see something.

Well said. If after this offseason he still struggles to get onto the field, the pick will start looking bad. Until then, it remains an 'Incomplete' grade.
By this logic, Baalke must've thought he whiffed on Kendall Hunter(4th) in 2011 when he drafted LaMichael James(2nd) in 2012.
[ Edited by NowImLost on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]

I don't think it's a lack of faith in A.J. Jenkins, but rather, some forward thinking... There's a good chance we won't be able to re-sign Crabtree, and Boldin probably won't be as effective in two seasons.

For all we know, Quinton Patton and A.J. Jenkins could very well be the future of the 49ers receiving corps. They've got the time to develop under Crabtree and Boldin.
I think Patton could be the future slot receiver and JEnkins is more of a deep threat.
Maybe they don't think they can resign Crabtree so they drafted Quinton to pair up with Jenkins to become the next dynamic duo
if they had taken justin hunter with the 2nd pick in rd 2 you could read something into it. maybe....jenkins still can develop as many players make a jump in production between years 1 and 2
Patton is a lot like Kendall Hunter, an obvious 2nd round talent to many but just one of those guys who through sheer happenstance fell to that spot.

On a side note, I hope Kendall Hunter fully recovers from his injury because he is a starting caliber NFL back when healthy, in my opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone