LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Would you trade....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Why does everyone say we wont re-sign Boldin? Boldin is worth $5M a yr. He is proven commodity. I would take a Boldin over a Gordon. Face facts, Baalke wont be pressured to make a deal just because fans think it's a good deal. A 3rd at most, but they likely want a 1st or 2nd and top type player. a 1st is way way way too much for a guy with 1 strike away from 1yr suspension.

Like i said, i would like to resign Boldin, but im basing my opinion on our recent history of bringing in veteran WR's as one year rentals.

But no, i would not take Boldin over Gordon, and i am one of his biggest fans. Have been a fan of his since he was a member of the cardinals.

I have never stated Baalkie would be swayed by my opinion, that would be ridiculous, but it wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter.

Gordon should be worth a late 1st to the 49ers right now IMO.

Also no guarantees we have a late 1st. We could easily go downhill. Anything can happen. I would rather do a deal in offseason, when we know our pick number, not now when we could end up in teens, which would be a bad trade IMO.

Boldin is a better player IMO right now. And Boldin is proven, and worth the money. I wouldn't pay Gordon 10M a yr that he likely will demand. Crabs is a $10M a yr WR right now, Gordon not so much. He could be, but he could easily turn out to be a mistake and everytime Baalke makes a dumb mistake, he gets blasted by the fan base. Even though he has done a hell of a job.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Rascal:
That is always the concern. I don't even want to think about : 1) how many WRs is he going to draft ? and 2) and how high up and who ? Like you, I am far from confident we will land some studs cos Baalke and Co. have been just next to hopeless in selecting wideouts. Is interesting you mentioned Rueben Randle cos he was my pick. The kid is doing very well and well on schedule. Thinking back to that AJ Jenkins pick still really pis*es me off. But, what can we do ? We will just have to hope for the best. I would say at least pick 2 WRs and let the numbers make up for their inept evaluation. In other words, just hope and pray they hit on someone that can actually play football out of the lot given their hit rate is so ridiculously low. Just one word of advice, keep your expectations incheck cos otherwise you would just end up being disappointed.

To be fair, how can you say their rate is so low when Baalke has drafted a total of what....4 WR's? 2 were 6th round picks, one was a bust, the other has managed to stick on the roster and Patton is still an N/A due to his injuries but he looked far more promising in the preseason than Jenkins ever did. Regardless of how lacking his performance might be. I don't think its fair to say that Baalke "can't draft WR's" after one miss really. Every single GM has busts, no matter how regarded, Ozzie Newsome has had multiple drafts of practically nothing but busts and is still regarded as a great GM.

To me the bigger issue is that there's not a whole lot of WR talent in this upcoming draft, very few guys at the top, so if you can get someone with star quality, who is already experienced somewhat, you're not going to be able to do better than at the spots where the 49ers will be picking.

Put it this way, If Gordon was entering the 2014 NFL draft, with the NFL stats he has now, where would he be drafted? You would have a hard time convincing me he wouldnt be the #1 WR taken.

His contract is cheap and he is signed through 2015. His character can be looked at as a gamble, but if it wasnt for that character issue, he wouldnt even be available.
Like i said, i would like to resign Boldin, but im basing my opinion on our recent history of bringing in veteran WR's as one year rentals.

But no, i would not take Boldin over Gordon, and i am one of his biggest fans. Have been a fan of his since he was a member of the cardinals.

I have never stated Baalkie would be swayed by my opinion, that would be ridiculous, but it wont stop me from voicing my opinion on the matter.

I also don't think that trading for Gordon precludes you from signing Boldin for another year or two seeing as how Gordon will be on a low salary for 2 more seasons after this one. They let Manningham and Williams walk and next season the WR corps looks like the following:

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Boldin
4-Patton
5-Baldwin

That's a pretty damn good group of receivers.

Exactly. Bring Boldin back on a two year deal if he wants to come back on a favorable contract, and then you deal with Gordons contract after 2015.
And why cant Baalke and Co. draft a good WR? Just because Jenkins isn't the right guy at the 1st round pick, doesn't mean we couldn't do a trade up for a better prospect like Watkins. Anything can happen. I see us sitting with our draft picks, and drafting the best WR we can get.

Dont keep saying he cant draft a WR, cause he can, and will. Patton is a good WR, it was a bad break that he got a foot fracture, but he will be a good a WR for us.

I also don't think that trading for Gordon precludes you from signing Boldin for another year or two seeing as how Gordon will be on a low salary for 2 more seasons after this one. They let Manningham and Williams walk and next season the WR corps looks like the following:

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Boldin
4-Patton
5-Baldwin

Exactly. Bring Boldin back on a two year deal if he wants to come back on a favorable contract, and then you deal with Gordons contract after 2015.

Why would Boldin come back as the #3 WR when he can easily be a #1 on other teams and effective one?
Why does everyone say we wont re-sign Boldin? Boldin is worth $5M a yr. He is proven commodity. I would take a Boldin over a Gordon. Face facts, Baalke wont be pressured to make a deal just because fans think it's a good deal. A 3rd at most, but they likely want a 1st or 2nd and top type player. a 1st is way way way too much for a guy with 1 strike away from 1yr suspension.

Also no guarantees we have a late 1st. We could easily go downhill. Anything can happen. I would rather do a deal in offseason, when we know our pick number, not now when we could end up in teens, which would be a bad trade IMO.

Boldin is a better player IMO right now. And Boldin is proven, and worth the money. I wouldn't pay Gordon 10M a yr that he likely will demand. Crabs is a $10M a yr WR right now, Gordon not so much. He could be, but he could easily turn out to be a mistake and everytime Baalke makes a dumb mistake, he gets blasted by the fan base. Even though he has done a hell of a job.

AB, Gordon is signed for peanuts through 2015. Im not sure i understand your hangup on the contract issues.
Nick Barlotta ‏@NickBarlottaFN4h
I am now hearing deal between Jets and Browns is very close to done..Jets have 2 picks on table.... Deal of course regarding josh Gordon...
Why would Boldin come back as the #3 WR when he can easily be a #1 on other teams and effective one?

Boldin's not going to be a #1 anywhere, he's not a #1 WR now, he certainly wasn't with Baltimore, last postseason was by far him at his best with them and that was also dependent on Torrey Smith and Jones stretching out defenses. He's a great complementary receiver, but he's Robin, not Batman. He came to the 49ers knowing he wouldn't be the #1 WR here and I don't see any other team, at least not a winning team, offering him that.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I am now hearing deal between Jets and Browns is very close to done..Jets have 2 picks on table.... Deal of course regarding josh Gordon...

Son of a b***h. Of course this must likely is coming from the Browns, leaking this to up the bids on Gordon.

1-Crabtree
2-Gordon
3-Boldin
4-Patton
5-Baldwin

Boldin has good character and is pretty loyal. If he is feeling the 49ers team and staff, im sure he would want to come back if the deal is fair for both parties. Boldin would still get a ton of reps. At this point in Boldins career he is looking more at legacy than anything else.

Not to mention if we had Crabtree/Gordon/Boldin you better believe we would run a s**t ton more 3 wr sets. The reason we dont now is because we only hae one healthy competent WR on the roster.

We are 5-2 with ONE HEALTHY COMPETENT WR. Gordon could help this offense now, and quite possibly put this offense over the top.

I do not want to find us playing in December with one competent healthy WR on the roster.

Manningham is solid when he is healthy, but he is another injury waiting to happen. Highly doubt he is resigned either. Crabtree, who knows when, and if he comes back 100%?

Boldin has good character and is pretty loyal. If he is feeling the 49ers team and staff, im sure he would want to come back if the deal is fair for both parties. Boldin would still get a ton of reps. At this point in Boldins career he is looking more at legacy than anything else.

Not to mention if we had Crabtree/Gordon/Boldin you better believe we would run a s**t ton more 3 wr sets. The reason we dont now is because we only hae one healthy competent WR on the roster.

We are 5-2 with ONE HEALTHY COMPETENT WR. Gordon could help this offense now, and quite possibly put this offense over the top.

I do not want to find us playing in December with one competent healthy WR on the roster.

Manningham is solid when he is healthy, but he is another injury waiting to happen. Highly doubt he is resigned either. Crabtree, who knows when, and if he comes back 100%?

Even in the short term, a Gordon/Boldin combo would instantly force defenses to alter their strategy. They couldn't double both Boldin and Gordon, and they wouldn't be willing to leave Gordon alone with a single CB on an island without a safety over the top, just that alone would provide a whole bunch of new running room for Gore and co.
Originally posted by Harbaalke:

Son of a b***h. Of course this must likely is coming from the Browns, leaking this to up the bids on Gordon.

f**k the jets. would be a good pickup for them and their young QB though. I dont think its a great fit for Gordon though.

Like i said, i never really thought it would happen, but it makes perfect sense for the niners to grab this guy.

Even in the short term, a Gordon/Boldin combo would instantly force defenses to alter their strategy. They couldn't double both Boldin and Gordon, and they wouldn't be willing to leave Gordon alone with a single CB on an island without a safety over the top, just that alone would provide a whole bunch of new running room for Gore and co.

Not to mention it takes the pressure off on VD and opens things up for him as well. Makes it real tough on secondaries deciding which weapon to key on.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
That is always the concern. I don't even want to think about : 1) how many WRs is he going to draft ? and 2) and how high up and who ? Like you, I am far from confident we will land some studs cos Baalke and Co. have been just next to hopeless in selecting wideouts. Is interesting you mentioned Rueben Randle cos he was my pick. The kid is doing very well and well on schedule. Thinking back to that AJ Jenkins pick still really pis*es me off. But, what can we do ? We will just have to hope for the best. I would say at least pick 2 WRs and let the numbers make up for their inept evaluation. In other words, just hope and pray they hit on someone that can actually play football out of the lot given their hit rate is so ridiculously low. Just one word of advice, keep your expectations incheck cos otherwise you would just end up being disappointed.

To be fair, how can you say their rate is so low when Baalke has drafted a total of what....4 WR's? 2 were 6th round picks, one was a bust, the other has managed to stick on the roster and Patton is still an N/A due to his injuries but he looked far more promising in the preseason than Jenkins ever did. Regardless of how lacking his performance might be. I don't think its fair to say that Baalke "can't draft WR's" after one miss really. Every single GM has busts, no matter how regarded, Ozzie Newsome has had multiple drafts of practically nothing but busts and is still regarded as a great GM.

To me the bigger issue is that there's not a whole lot of WR talent in this upcoming draft, very few guys at the top, so if you can get someone with star quality, who is already experienced somewhat, you're not going to be able to do better than at the spots where the 49ers will be picking.

If to you Baalke's hit rate is not low, let's just say he is yet to draft any studs for the sake of discussion cos there is no point to debate on his hit rate if 6th round picks don't count and all that. Ozzie Newsome at least has landed the likes of Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones. If we had a Torrey Smith, I doubt we would be talking about all this now.

To your point about the next draft, from what I've heard thus far is quite the contrary, it is supposed to be a strong year for WRs if I am not wrong. Plus, I wouldn't be too concerned about the spots we are picking. If we can trade up to get Eric Reid at 18th, why can't we do the same for WRs ? In fact, I would be pis*ed if we didn't cos it would totally defeat the purpose of stockpiling picks. What would be the point of having 13, 14 picks every year when you don't make wise use of them ?

But, the draft is irrelevant as far as this season is concerned. We desperately need WR help NOW. While we can beat teams like the Titans with 199 yards of passing and no passing TDs, this will not get us anywhere when we play far tougher teams. Josh Gordon is the best option we have out there right now. At the very least we know the kid can ball. In other words, the kid himself has already done all the evaluation work for us whereby we can do without another debate on whether Baalke can pick WRs.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Not to mention it takes the pressure off on VD and opens things up for him as well. Makes it real tough on secondaries deciding which weapon to key on.

That's right. Once Gordon draws coverage for the deep routes, it will open up Vernon. You can't cover 2 deep threats at the same time and still be able to handle the shorter to intermediate plays which will play into Anquan's hands. Defenses will have to pick their poison. If they want to take away the big plays, then let us move the chains and march down the field for 90-yard drives and eat up the clock.
Share 49ersWebzone