LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

How did San Francisco lose the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The 9ers were the first professional sports franchise to come to the SF Bay Area. I just think there is too much history there. I don't think the ownership would ever agree to a name change like that because they get a lot of revenue based on the San Francisco name. Yes, I agree San Jose is a big city and it's getting better all the time, but all Bay Area cities suffer from the same disadvantage. SF is a world-class destination. Nobody from other countries or even the rest of this country says I'm heading out to California to visit San Jose. They say I'm going to SF. The NFL definitely wants the SF name for prestige. Nothing against San Jose. I like the city.

I hope so, man. At the end of the day, $ talks and bullshiet walks.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I'm glad they left SF... the city showed no appreciation for the team. The South Bay is where the niner love is all at anyways.

I completely agree that most of the fan base is not living in SF proper. Think about it: the SF Bay area has a population of about 7 million. But only about 800K live in the city. The city is a small area in the middle of the greater Bay Area. The majority of Niner fans HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN SURROUNDING AREAS - not just the South Bay, but the North Bay and even the East Bay especially over the hills. People in the New York area say the same kinds of things - that city dwellers don't appreciate the Jets or the Giants and New Jersey is where most of their fans are. It's the same kind of thing. It doesn't matter. The name New York has marketing weight. The name San Francisco has marketing weight that the surrounding cities don't, that's all. You can complain about it all you like, you can criticize it for lots of things and I'll completely agree with you, but San Francisco is considered a world-class city. Even though it is small in comparison, it's right on the same list with New York, Tokyo, Paris, London, Rome, Hong Kong, etc.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

You're right, but the name is part of why the money is there. The NFL wants the team to keep that name. They want to send the San Francisco team to London or Madrid or Mexico City. This year, people in London will know the San Francisco Forty-Niners, but they'll wonder what this "Jacksonville" think is. Why is it the Tennessee Titans or the Carolina Panthers? Partly because there are no cities there with the prestige to carry the team name - you'd think Nashville would cut it, but nobody in the rest of the world even knows what Nashville is.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GNielsen:

You're right, but the name is part of why the money is there. The NFL wants the team to keep that name. They want to send the San Francisco team to London or Madrid or Mexico City. This year, people in London will know the San Francisco Forty-Niners, but they'll wonder what this "Jacksonville" think is. Why is it the Tennessee Titans or the Carolina Panthers? Partly because there are no cities there with the prestige to carry the team name - you'd think Nashville would cut it, but nobody in the rest of the world even knows what Nashville is.

how bout Green Bay
Originally posted by susweel:
how bout Green Bay

but green bay has been around forever, BEFORE the nfl was all about the money game. Hell, they were around before tv came out and there was no such thing as media marketing on tv.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
how bout Green Bay

but green bay has been around forever, BEFORE the nfl was all about the money game. Hell, they were around before tv came out and there was no such thing as media marketing on tv.

That was back during the Providence Steam Rollers, Akron Pros and Duluth Eskimos lol
And, part of the reason Green Bay is still there is that it has no wealthy owner. It's a public entity. It's not going anywhere because the owners are the citizens of the area. No other NFL franchise can say that.
BL is the City really never produced a viable, suitable offer...apparently city officials thought "aw, they'll never leave SF", because they didn't do nearly enough to keep the team in the city. Santa Clara, on the other hand, was willing to do what it took to convince Niner brass they had a much better plan...and they did. The stadium's right next to their HQ, there's easy access to it, plenty of parking, etc. The weather is much better, no winds like Candlestick, etc. SC did their homework and created an executable plan that's now well on it's way to fruition. Good for SC...shame on SF.
Theres a long gentrifiction process going on in the Bayview, HP, Visitacion areas. Keeping the Niners tthere would have just made it more expensive to move the poor out. Over half the season ticket holders reside on the peninsula anyways.
But, the truth is that Santa Clara always had a built-in advantage. The facility is there. It's been there for 25 years. They have to go on the road to play at the Stick. They'll be walking to work or riding golf carts now. It's kind of like Green Bay. There will be a new Packers-like routine where fans know the route they take from the facility into the stadium and cheer them on as they go before games.

I saw lots of games at Kezar growing up. I've been to the Stick more times than I can count. I was born and raised in SF. I've been a Niner fan for over 50 years. And, I'm not upset with how this has turned out. It could have been better, but it's not the end of the world and it's definitely not the end of the San Francisco Forty-Niners.

Originally posted by T-9ers:
Theres a long gentrifiction process going on in the Bayview, HP, Visitacion areas. Keeping the Niners tthere would have just made it more expensive to move the poor out. Over half the season ticket holders reside on the peninsula anyways.
Good points.
prolly caused we sucked for so long the city didn't think the team would turn it around this quickly
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Friggin' N. Koreans!!!
I don't think they will, but I'd love it if they changed the city name...Santa Clara, San Jose, whatever, I don't care, would just be the coup de grace. Although I do like that them keeping the SF name causes great consternation to people like DiFi and Mark Leno, they were the ones who originally threatened legislation to block use of "San Francisco" and "49ers". Guess I win either way...Yay me.
Share 49ersWebzone