There are 238 users in the forums

our offense needs two more viable weapons

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ninerfan1984 I agree with you brah and answered a post of best value deep threat wr with marquise Goodwin. To me he's a poor mans tavon austin that I'd happily take in the mid rounds if/when we don't get Austin. He abused everyone at the senior bowl, especially deep
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
You know who would be happy if the Niners used their first picks for offense? Other offensive coordinators in the NFC West. I just find it kind of strange that after watching the team give up 30 points a game in the playoffs, fans seem to think that the team should use its most important picks on offense. And, when you consider the fact that this draft is deeper in defensive talent, especially at safety and defensive line, than a draft has been in years, it's even more strange to me.

Dude, I find it kinda strange that you answered your own question. Ummm, because this draft is deep for safety and DL that allows us flexibility with our first picks

Do you think the Niners can find a suitable replacement or someone who can legitimately start rotating with Justin Smith later than the second round? Do you think a starter-quality FS will be available after the second round? Yes, there is lots of potential in the later rounds, but right now, the Niners need to do something about their pass rush, depth on the defensive line and pass coverage. My question is pretty straight-forward: when you look at the Niners' performances towards the end of the year, why would you think they need help on offense and not defense as a first priority? They gave up more points than any Niner Super Bowl team has ever allowed. They gave up over 30 points a game throughout the playoffs. They scored over 30 points a game.

I think there is a tendency, especially among modern NFL fans, to overlook the importance of defense. Every Niner championship year featured defenses that didn't give up nearly as many points as this one did last year in the playoffs. The '89 team allowed a total of 25 points in 3 playoff games. The '88 team allowed a total of 28 points in 3 playoff games. The '84 team allowed a total of 24 points in 3 playoff games. This current defense allowed more points PER GAME than those teams did in 3 games. On the other hand, this offense scored more points than two of those teams. The problem is not offense.
  • dj43
Yes, the offense needs more weapons. However, the greatest need is safety and DL. So...after that, what is needed.

IMO, the greatest need is a TE that can read defenses and make the critical adjustments necessary to be a quick outlet for Kaepernick. That player is not currently on the roster. VD is really a WR in a TE body. He us not a TE in traditional sense. Next season we can expect every DC in the league to have done major homework in controlling Kaepernick, and keeping him in the pocket. That will mean he will need that outlet pass when an escape route has been taken away. If CK does not have that option, it will be up to Crabtree and Boldin to break coverage and get open. Gore is no longer the outlet threat he once was. Davis is blocking 50% of the time and the rest of the time he is on crossing or wheel routes, neither of which are dependable relief options. Thus, as TE is the greatest single offensive need.

The second is a speed guy and we have to hope Jenkins can fill that role. If he cannot, Baalke has made his first MAJOR mistake as GM. Consequently, if the 49ers make a move to grab Austin, you can kiss Jenkins goodbye...and the value of a 1st round pick last season.
Only addition that would have a significant impact is the replacement for Delanie Walker. He had a huge role in this offense, so unless we plan on using less 2 TE formations, I would expect the 49ers to take a TE in round 2 or 3. It's also possible the team is very high on Celek, and might not draft a TE early. Who knows?

Other than that, the offense looks set to me. We could use a backup swing tackle, so we wouldn't have to move Boone from RG if Staley or A. Davis went down.
Originally posted by dj43:
Yes, the offense needs more weapons. However, the greatest need is safety and DL. So...after that, what is needed.

IMO, the greatest need is a TE that can read defenses and make the critical adjustments necessary to be a quick outlet for Kaepernick. That player is not currently on the roster. VD is really a WR in a TE body. He us not a TE in traditional sense. Next season we can expect every DC in the league to have done major homework in controlling Kaepernick, and keeping him in the pocket. That will mean he will need that outlet pass when an escape route has been taken away. If CK does not have that option, it will be up to Crabtree and Boldin to break coverage and get open. Gore is no longer the outlet threat he once was. Davis is blocking 50% of the time and the rest of the time he is on crossing or wheel routes, neither of which are dependable relief options. Thus, as TE is the greatest single offensive need.

The second is a speed guy and we have to hope Jenkins can fill that role. If he cannot, Baalke has made his first MAJOR mistake as GM. Consequently, if the 49ers make a move to grab Austin, you can kiss Jenkins goodbye...and the value of a 1st round pick last season.

Couldn't agree more. We have a gaping hole at safety ATM and we saw what the lack of depth along the D-line did to our entire defense at the end of the year.

I also agree that our biggest need on offense right now is TE with the loss of Delanie. Hell DW was pretty much a starter for us last year with how much he was out on the field.

I would not be surprised at all if our first 3 picks went DL, S, TE (not necassarily this order).
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
This team is set at receiver.

No, it isn't.

Baalke said good teams draft for need two years before they need it. With all the money invested in the O-Line and what will definitely be coming to Kaep and Aldon, the general consensus is Crabtree will be gone in 2 years. Boldin is getting old and we don't know how long he'll be good, or how long he'll even stick around. Manningham destroyed his leg, we don't know if he'll truly recover. Kyle Williams is average. AJ Jenkins couldn't even play over some dude we signed off the street less than a month before.

So, we're set for next year with 2 good starters, but no depth. After next year, we could wind up with nothing at WR.

So, again, we are NOT set at WR.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
No, it isn't.

Baalke said good teams draft for need two years before they need it. With all the money invested in the O-Line and what will definitely be coming to Kaep and Aldon, the general consensus is Crabtree will be gone in 2 years. Boldin is getting old and we don't know how long he'll be good, or how long he'll even stick around. Manningham destroyed his leg, we don't know if he'll truly recover. Kyle Williams is average. AJ Jenkins couldn't even play over some dude we signed off the street less than a month before.

So, we're set for next year with 2 good starters, but no depth. After next year, we could wind up with nothing at WR.

well I could also argue that this team drafted AJ because there was a clear lack of ability beyond Crabtee at receiver. The Boldin trade was unexpected, a great surprise.
No, it isn't.

well I could also argue that this team drafted AJ because there was a clear lack of ability beyond Crabtee at receiver. The Boldin trade was unexpected, a great surprise.

Not really. We knew that Crabs, Manningham, Moss were going to be 1,2,3 by the time we drafted.
We CERTAINLY need (IMHO of course) that 6'5" TE that back play in our multiple package sets and dominant in the RZ and EZ's. And back up VD should he ever go down. The speedy WR's we have are Jenkins, Williams and Manningham.
Originally posted by Squidp:
No, it isn't.

Not really. We knew that Crabs, Manningham, Moss were going to be 1,2,3 by the time we drafted.

We've been set at wr since 2005, where have you guys been? Set on bringing in guys every year.

Travis Kelce and Da'Rick Rogers!! I wouldn't mind grabbing Patterson if he falls that guy is a weapon for sure. I like Keenan Allen too he is gonna be a good pro receiver.

Two nick names.......Honey Badger!
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Do you think the Niners can find a suitable replacement or someone who can legitimately start rotating with Justin Smith later than the second round? Do you think a starter-quality FS will be available after the second round? Yes, there is lots of potential in the later rounds, but right now, the Niners need to do something about their pass rush, depth on the defensive line and pass coverage. My question is pretty straight-forward: when you look at the Niners' performances towards the end of the year, why would you think they need help on offense and not defense as a first priority? They gave up more points than any Niner Super Bowl team has ever allowed. They gave up over 30 points a game throughout the playoffs. They scored over 30 points a game.

I think there is a tendency, especially among modern NFL fans, to overlook the importance of defense. Every Niner championship year featured defenses that didn't give up nearly as many points as this one did last year in the playoffs. The '89 team allowed a total of 25 points in 3 playoff games. The '88 team allowed a total of 28 points in 3 playoff games. The '84 team allowed a total of 24 points in 3 playoff games. This current defense allowed more points PER GAME than those teams did in 3 games. On the other hand, this offense scored more points than two of those teams. The problem is not offense.

Could'nt have said it better!!
Justin Hunter and Travis Kelce.
I would kill for Eifert but don't want to give up high draft choices to move up. Therefore I am keeping fingers crossed for Ertz & a speed threat later!
[ Edited by NYCNINER on Apr 21, 2013 at 2:08 PM ]
If we don't draft defense first i'll froth at the mouth. Needs doing, and everyone knows it.
Share 49ersWebzone