LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 209 users in the forums

Niners Most Popular Team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:

Considering we will possess arguably the most technologically advance stadium in the world and also play for one of the most profitable leagues in the world, I find no reason to believe the San Francisco (world class city) 49ers can't be Manchester United's equal in terms of popularity. Our success and history speaks for itself. We're totally on a path that will make our sports franchise the envy of the United States!

Man U (and the Yankees) have spent decades promoting themselves around the world. And soccer is a worldwide sport.

I don't think we will equal Man U for a long time. Apples and oranges though.

New stadium?
Trophyless drought?

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Considering we will possess arguably the most technologically advance stadium in the world and also play for one of the most profitable leagues in the world, I find no reason to believe the San Francisco (world class city) 49ers can't be Manchester United's equal in terms of popularity. Our success and history speaks for itself. We're totally on a path that will make our sports franchise the envy of the United States!

Man U (and the Yankees) have spent decades promoting themselves around the world. And soccer is a worldwide sport.

New stadium?
Trophyless drought?

BUT to become the "Yankees" or "ManU" it's got to start sooner rather than later. Damn that's a good pic lol.

BUT to become the "Yankees" or "ManU" it's got to start sooner rather than later. Damn that's a good pic lol.

Haha...yeah AFC got that nickname from their historic 49-match unbeaten streak from a decade ago AKA "The Invincibles"...merely a coincidence

Yeah but soccar is p***y and football is a mans sport. We win by default.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Hard to call this solely based on merchandise sales. My first thought was one of disdain for all the bandwagoners that have come out of the woodwork, but at second wash I think it has more to do with the fact that Niners fans everywhere haven't had any reason to rep their team since the Clinton administration. Now we're making up for lost time.
"jesserdumas2
Ready for that 6th ring.
Oct 2, 2012 at 07:05:40"

I was saying that at the beginning of the 2009 season. When you first joined the zone. Where were you?
I cannot wait to turn the new stadium into an impenetrable fortress for opposing teams. We need to be lights out as fans and make teams pay when they play in the bay
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"jesserdumas2
Ready for that 6th ring.

I was saying that at the beginning of the 2009 season. When you first joined the zone. Where were you?

I originally started coming to the boards shortly after I got out of school, around 2002-2003. I was just plain old "jesserdumas" at that time, but then I moved to Hawaii and didn't log on for so long that my profile got deleted and I had to add the "2" to get going again. (Makes sense doesn't it?)

The whole point of my posting this topic was that it was dumb to assume the 49ers are the league's most popular team because they're selling the most merch right now. The team had been through such a drought that re-entering relevance has made people open up their wallets to buy merchandise again.

In reality, I don't think this is all about the hardcore fans buying gear, it's about friends and family of these fans buying gear for them. When someone's team blows and you're best players are special teamers, it's not going to be top-of-the-mind for your loved ones to spend their money on reminding you of your adherence to a losing cause.

Nevertheless, it's clearly pointless to bring up topics such as this without getting assaulted by trolls that are going to question your validity as a fan. It's for this reason that I think living outside of the Bay Area and away from the greater fanbase has actually PROLONGED my passion as a fan. If I was around all the mongoloid semi-tards that constitute football fans in general, I'd probably start hating the team as much as I do Green Bay and Minnesota, the fans I actually do have to put up with.
Even when I had moved to Baltimore, from the Bay Area I never ever ever gave into the popularity of the Ravens in this city. I could have switched easily because the Ravens attracted a rabid fanbase but I couldn't do it. I love the 49ers way to much, and have stuck it out with this team since the lean years of Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary coaching. Same thing with the San Francisco Giants, and I do happen to like the Orioles as my AL team. But I catch a ton of grief because I am not a Ravens fan in this city, and good lord after them winning the superbowl they were obnoxious as s**t.
We're definitely gathering band wagon fans.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"jesserdumas2
Ready for that 6th ring.

I originally started coming to the boards shortly after I got out of school, around 2002-2003. I was just plain old "jesserdumas" at that time, but then I moved to Hawaii and didn't log on for so long that my profile got deleted and I had to add the "2" to get going again. (Makes sense doesn't it?)

The whole point of my posting this topic was that it was dumb to assume the 49ers are the league's most popular team because they're selling the most merch right now. The team had been through such a drought that re-entering relevance has made people open up their wallets to buy merchandise again.

In reality, I don't think this is all about the hardcore fans buying gear, it's about friends and family of these fans buying gear for them. When someone's team blows and you're best players are special teamers, it's not going to be top-of-the-mind for your loved ones to spend their money on reminding you of your adherence to a losing cause.

Nevertheless, it's clearly pointless to bring up topics such as this without getting assaulted by trolls that are going to question your validity as a fan. It's for this reason that I think living outside of the Bay Area and away from the greater fanbase has actually PROLONGED my passion as a fan. If I was around all the mongoloid semi-tards that constitute football fans in general, I'd probably start hating the team as much as I do Green Bay and Minnesota, the fans I actually do have to put up with.

I understand. We're the most popular team in the NFL. We started winning, people jumped on the bandwagon. Now we're the most popular. Boom.

Yeah and no irony here the Niners are ALL over NFL Network...graphics, talk, Staley, Whitner's been on for what feels like a week on multiple segments, Harbaugh family lists, etc. Yay for us...guaranteed Superbowl win!!!
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM ]
I bought a lot of stuff this year, but that's because I'm weird and wanted the new brand Nike Jerseys and New Era hats.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
I bought a lot of stuff this year, but that's because I'm weird and wanted the new brand Nike Jerseys and New Era hats.

wow ...that is weird
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Beeker:
The wife is converting from Browns to Niners. Eventually, we'll get 'em all!!

Browns? Lawlz!!!!!

Can't really hold it against her ... she was raised around Cleveland .....

classic shmoseby

Maybe she is a Colt McCoy fan?

No, not really. But she was VERY upset about Dawson!!!
Definitely are more fans that have jumped on the 49er bandwagon.I can really see it here in Vegas. I mostly saw Steeler,Cowboy, Patriot, and Giants apparel being worn here prior to the Niners resurgence. Since Harbaugh has been here, I have seen more fans with Niner gear here and niner fans popping up everywhere. Heck my ex was a Charger fan and jumped on the Niner bandwagon last year and her ex was a raider fan and jumped on the Niner bandwagon last year as well.
Share 49ersWebzone