LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Anthony Davis signs five-year contract extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ghostrider:
I think we extend Boone before Iupati. We still have to pay a lot of people and I think we might be able to keep Boone for less.

Boone already got extended, he will be a free agent in 2016
Originally posted by baltien:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Remember when posters were saying Anthony Davis was a bust.... glad to have a real front office again! kudos Baalke!

Just goes to show that even top picks can take some time to develop and people throw the bust word around way too liberally.

"Time to develop" is an excuse.

The 'Zone has told me that if you are a first round pick, not only are you expected to step in and start right away, but anything less than making the Pro Bowl every year is wholly unacceptable.

Should you fail to meet this criteria, you will be swiftly and mercilessly mocked as the bust you are by random people on the internet. Also, you will spend the remainder of your 49er career on the bench (where you belong), praying that Trent Baalke doesn't exile you to the land of free safety.

I know this all to be true. The 'Zone never lies....

true.

there is no gray area. you're either an all pro.... or you suck.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
These FO guys are WAYYYY to smart to let Iupati walk - I'd bet 100 to 1 we resign him.

We went through the same whinning and hand wringing - "Who are we gonna keep - Willis or Bowman?" And all the piss-ant crap about that. Remember that, and all the clones justifying one way or the other how we'd lose one and which guy to keep. WOT - Waste of Time.

We'll sign Iupati - book it.

I remember it more as "Bowman or Goldson". We know how that turned out.

Hopefully we will resign Iupati. The guy is top ten at his position, Crabtree is not (though I'm sure he'll want to be paid like he is). The only thing going in Crabtree's favor is his position. If you value WR more than Guard and buy into Scot's line about always being able to get guards, than Crabtree is your guy. Signing both is a slim possibility unless at least one of them takes a discount imo. Not when you factor in how much money Aldon & Kap are likely to cost us.
To be honest, I've been thinking Anthony Davis was the guy they'd let walk. Now that they have resigned him, I'm kinda thinking that they might be able to get them ALL back.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but making moves this early tells me they are focused on getting all these deals done WAY, WAY early and effectively get them under market value.

Davis still has 2 years left on his rookie deal. I'm betting that his contract doesn't change till his rookie deal is finished. Anyone care to make any bets on what the market will be for players like him in 2 years?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by baltien:
"Time to develop" is an excuse.

The 'Zone has told me that if you are a first round pick, not only are you expected to step in and start right away, but anything less than making the Pro Bowl every year is wholly unacceptable.

Should you fail to meet this criteria, you will be swiftly and mercilessly mocked as the bust you are by random people on the internet. Also, you will spend the remainder of your 49er career on the bench (where you belong), praying that Trent Baalke doesn't exile you to the land of free safety.

I know this all to be true. The 'Zone never lies....

You owe me a large coke lol
Originally posted by susweel:
they gonna have to cut Staley if they wonna pay Iupati.

Maybe you should take a look at Staley's contract. He's underpaid if anything.
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think we extend Boone before Iupati. We still have to pay a lot of people and I think we might be able to keep Boone for less.

i love you trent
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SFrush:

then he's gonna holdout for sure

Really? Hmm, I must have been off from work that day. lol

Holdout with 5 years left on his contract. Good luck with that.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Holdout with 5 years left on his contract. Good luck with that.

maybe we can trade him to KC for a first round pick

it was in 2011
[ Edited by valrod33 on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
To be honest, I've been thinking Anthony Davis was the guy they'd let walk. Now that they have resigned him, I'm kinda thinking that they might be able to get them ALL back.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but making moves this early tells me they are focused on getting all these deals done WAY, WAY early and effectively get them under market value.

Davis still has 2 years left on his rookie deal. I'm betting that his contract doesn't change till his rookie deal is finished. Anyone care to make any bets on what the market will be for players like him in 2 years?

The numbers for Davis don't seem that bad at all for a high-potential guy that is still extremely young, which is a plus for the 49ers. As for your point about market value you are absolutely correct. Not only will Davis be entering his physical prime in a couple of years, he will have had a couple more years of solid (and steady) production from which to form the basis of his next contract. So yeah, I believe this extension appears to be cost effective.

Long-term, I think Crabtree, Aldon Smith, and Kaepernick will be the expensive trio that may not stay together in 3 years. Based on recent history, expensive WR's almost always seem to hit the market so I'm thinking of those 3 the 9ers are likely to rank Crabtree at the bottom. Not based on talent as he is a #1 WR; the real question is how big will Kaepernick's salary get.

Given our issues on defense in the absence of Justin Smith, I feel the Bowman/Willis tandem may have to be broken up if we want to keep Aldon Smith, Crabtree and Kaepernick. They are great, but they didn't pick up the slack, and quite frankly at their salaries they should have.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM ]

it was in 2011

I was probably off from work that day.... in 2011.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Probably could have got 50-65 million on the open market in a few years. I mentioned this in my post before but the sooner you lock these guys up the better with the way FA has been going. Ever year salaries get bigger and there are record contracts... guys who are average are getting what super stars got even 5 years ago. You look at Staley and it was crazy to keep extending him the way we did... he was signed through 2016 before the 2009 season even started. Now he is getting paid like 4-6 million and is a pro bowl LT. He should be making double what he gets. Only downfall is if the player holds out and thinks he deserves more and wants to redo the contract. Good thing with our atmosphere right now is that most likely wont happen with any of our players.
Share 49ersWebzone