LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Best 49ers draft pick in the last 20 years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gore. 3rd rounder, two blow knees, has trouble learning, yet football is natural to him and has vision, power, speed, patience, blocking, catching, team player, Countless 1000 yard seasons. Now the record holder for niner backs. The dudes the best back to ever wear a niner uniform. When god said im going to make a football player he created Frank Gore. If gore had the talent of the early niners around him he would have rushed for 2000 yards in a season, sadly he played with horrible players, a young qb in alex smith that took almost a decade to become a winner and horrible coachs, changes in offensive systems every year. If he had a good coach like Jim sooner and some talent around him he would have beaten E. Smith rushing record!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Gore. 3rd rounder, two blow knees, has trouble learning, yet football is natural to him and has vision, power, speed, patience, blocking, catching, team player, Countless 1000 yard seasons. Now the record holder for niner backs. The dudes the best back to ever wear a niner uniform. When god said im going to make a football player he created Frank Gore. If gore had the talent of the early niners around him he would have rushed for 2000 yards in a season, sadly he played with horrible players, a young qb in alex smith that took almost a decade to become a winner and horrible coachs, changes in offensive systems every year. If he had a good coach like Jim sooner and some talent around him he would have beaten E. Smith rushing record!

I don't know about Emmitt's record but perhaps top five IF he had the O line that we have now.
Colin Kaepernick

Seriously? I'm a fan, but these statements are outrageous. I agree. Gore is the best value pick, considering when he was drafted and his output, especially given that his supporting cast was subpar (put nicely). But he hasn't had "countless 1000 yard seasons". He's had 6. Emmitt Smith had 11 (though 7 at this point in his career). Which brings me to my next point (and main one at that). He would not have beaten Emmitt's rushing record. He is currently 10,000 yards short of that record. I don't know what his future brings, but if he retires at 40, he would have to average 1000 yards each of the next 10 seasons to reach that milestone...if he retired (or saw a steep decrease in playing time as most do) by 34, he would have to average around 2000 to reach it.

Not only that. THIS IS WHY NO ONE WILL EVER BREAK IT. You play three years of college. You're 21. You declare for the draft. You play 15 years in the league, say as the full time starting back. Over those 15 years, say you peak during years 2-9, so ages 23-30 (fair range) and average 1500 yards per season in each of those. That's 12,000 yards. That means over the other 7 years you are still putting up nearly 1,000 yards every season. With the way the NFL is these days and pass heavy offenses and running by committee, this is clearly going to be insanely tough for anyone to accomplish.

So be a fan, but don't be ridiculous.
Originally posted by loyalniner:

Seriously? I'm a fan, but these statements are outrageous. I agree. Gore is the best value pick, considering when he was drafted and his output, especially given that his supporting cast was subpar (put nicely). But he hasn't had "countless 1000 yard seasons". He's had 6. Emmitt Smith had 11 (though 7 at this point in his career). Which brings me to my next point (and main one at that). He would not have beaten Emmitt's rushing record. He is currently 10,000 yards short of that record. I don't know what his future brings, but if he retires at 40, he would have to average 1000 yards each of the next 10 seasons to reach that milestone...if he retired (or saw a steep decrease in playing time as most do) by 34, he would have to average around 2000 to reach it.

Not only that. THIS IS WHY NO ONE WILL EVER BREAK IT. You play three years of college. You're 21. You declare for the draft. You play 15 years in the league, say as the full time starting back. Over those 15 years, say you peak during years 2-9, so ages 23-30 (fair range) and average 1500 yards per season in each of those. That's 12,000 yards. That means over the other 7 years you are still putting up nearly 1,000 yards every season. With the way the NFL is these days and pass heavy offenses and running by committee, this is clearly going to be insanely tough for anyone to accomplish.

So be a fan, but don't be ridiculous.
all a guy has to do is average 3000 for 7 seasons and he breaks it with breathing room. no problem.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
all a guy has to do is average 3000 for 7 seasons and he breaks it with breathing room. no problem.

I'm 31 this month, i'll go and join as UDFA and do it. 38 is still younger than TO
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fronk
Originally posted by goldstandard333:
Colin Kaepernick

I would have to say this is my choice for the past five years, while Gore would be my choice for the five previous years. This assumes CK continues as he has and becomes the best QB in the NFL...my expectation. Why? Coaching, system, and his overall skill set. When I saw him adjust and start throwing touch passes last year he jumped way up in my eyes. Now they just have to keep him healthy, away from big hits, and further develop the passing game so he doesn't have to run every other play.
BAAAAAAAARUUUUUUUUCE MILLER!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone