LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Best 49ers draft pick in the last 20 years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gore. No question.

3rd round pick! Best 49er RB ever. Amazingly productive, even on some really bad teams.

Why are we even discussing this? It's best draft pick, not overall best player (though Gore makes a strong case in that category as well). Hands down it is Frank Gore.
  • thl408
I want to mention Lee Woodall 6th round pick for a solid LB on the last SB winning team. He was one of those guys that didn't get his name called much but was a key contributor. Not bad for a 6th.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
TO was a game breaker and made game winning/game changing plays
Frank is great, and is a 49er HOF but he seems to run out of gas after 20 yards. He has a burst but no long distant speed.
Love Frank but i have to go with TO

...let the roast begin
[ Edited by Chico on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by capone0:
I think some may argue TO was our best pick but not all his damage was done for the 9ers, in addition he was an obvious headcase.

Originally posted by ayetee:
I think if we look at both the good AND the bad, TO would not have a chance.

Clear examples of people letting their emotions and TO's recent history cloud their memories of what TO was for us. TO is a Hall of Fame player, and the majority of his accolades and achievements were from when he was a 49er. As much as you two want to believe that TO was a headache or a problem for us, he wasnt. At all.

IMO, the answer to the original question would either be Frank Gore or Terrell Owens. When you get Hall of Fame players in the third round, thats pretty special. As good as Willis is, he was picked high and expected to be great. Gore and Owens werent. They are the easy answer.
[ Edited by TheStick45 on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
Gore
Originally posted by krizay:
T.O. is right behind Jerry in ALOT of categories. We consider Jerry the GOAT. So if T.O. can put up arguably the 2nd best numbers. How can it not be T.O.? As good as everyone else mentioned has been. To this point they dont have T.O.'s resume.

Offense - T.O. with Gore 2nd
Defense - Willis
Special teams - Andy Lee
I'm gonna put Gore as the best in the last 20 years. This has worked out so well, that we are considering (talked about alot) ANOTHER guy coming off a devestating knee injury, who will have to sit a year.

Owens was a good pick, as he was second team All-Decade (first by some) for the 2000s. Hes just such a DB, that the only list he tops is "Biggest 49er DB"

My other top picks are

Iupati 2010-1st 17th overall we ended up with this pick from a trade with Carolina the year before where they got Everette Brown in 2nd 43 overall. Thats a REALLY good draft day deal.

79 Overall in 2010. We traded it to San Diego for 91st and 173rd in 2010, and 115th in 2011. Those three picks you ask? Bowman, Dixon and Hunter. All huge contributors. San Diego took the studly Donald Butler. This is an AMAZING draft day deal.

Lee is awesome. But the fact that a ST guy got drafted at all meant he was really dang good. Most of these guys go in as rookie FAs. We arent the Raiders using 1st and 2nd rounders on our kickers and punters.
[ Edited by Lunchwagon on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM ]
Gore!
Bowman, gore, to
Originally posted by Chico:
Frank is great, and is a 49er HOF but he seems to run out of gas after 20 yards. He has a burst but no long distant speed.

...let the roast begin

No, that's bonkers. Frank finds space where no one else can. He gets 20 where other backs get 3. Frank put up numbers on really terrible teams. TO played with HoFers. TO was helpful before he went insane but Frank is the best pick.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
No, that's bonkers. Frank finds space where no one else can. He gets 20 where other backs get 3. Frank put up numbers on really terrible teams. TO played with HoFers. TO was helpful before he went insane but Frank is the best pick.
of course this is the truth., i am so sick of people trying to put frank out to pasture

...let the roast begin

TO played with HoFers his first few years, but thats it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

...let the roast begin

TO played with HoFers his first few years, but thats it.
gore never thought he was bigger than the game or the coaches.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Bruce miller

Navorro bowman

Pro bowl fullback in the 7th round? Yes please.
Frank Gore.
Share 49ersWebzone