LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

Let's get serious for a moment......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
okay, i'm ready.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road aka Baalke
Yup, extend Cully/Brown as early as possible. Then yeah, develop young CB's in the background and draft a few higher picks to groom and nab a few FA's at the cheap.
Yeah, our secondary situation could be even worse next year with Brown, Whitner, and Asomugha as free agents. But with Brown/Rogers/Culliver/Asomugha I really don't see room for a rookie corner unless we get a guy who can without a doubt beat out Cox and Brock in training camp. Maybe Mathieu in the 3rd?
Originally posted by 60sfan:
The moves on CBs and Safeties at this time are critical. Brown's contract runs out after this year. Rogers, Whitner and Nnamdi will likely be gone after this year as well. Decisions made now are with these things all in mind as well as the cap space. So, how do you prepare for this season and at the same time, tee up next season with the best defensive backfield?

By drafting at least one starting-caliber corner and one starter-quality safety early. Then in later rounds, draft at least one over-sized project corner. I'd like to see three d-linemen, three for the secondary, a tight end and anything other than that is icing on the cake.
I would only re sign t.brown out of all those players
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Trust McNolan

When you're buying a suit, and maybe when you're looking for an OLB that doesn't rush the passer, but that's about it.
you must have missed the memo, manny lawson was god

I guess I did miss that (although I was a huge Lawson apologist for the longest time ).
First, build around Brown and Cully.

Second, Harbaalke likes competition right? Draft 5 defensive backs and have the greatest TC competition ever. Open competition for starting FS, backup FS, backup SS and the last 2 CB spots. Epic.

Probability says you probably get 1-2 good starters out of that much competition. You may have to cut a few solid backups. But isnt it worth it to cut a Brock/Cox in order to find the next Goldson?
Originally posted by 9moon:
I think we shoulda signed Asomugha for 3 years at least.. The guy will benefit from out already great D, and he's gonna end up asking for more money next year.

I also think that both T-Brown and C-Culv will be kept. Carlos and Whitner are both gonner after this year.

?

We don't even know if he's a servicable player right now.

No way is he going to sign a 3 year deal at 1.3 mil per. Niners want to see what he has left and he wants to prove he's still the same guy.

Only a 1 year deal works.

I hate the off-season.
I think we will draft three defensive backs (S/CB/S or S/CB/CB) in the first three rounds.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
get serious????

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
When you're buying a suit, and maybe when you're looking for an OLB that doesn't rush the passer, but that's about it.

Oh no, that horse's a** and his stupid suit...probably the most embarrassed I've ever been as a Niners fan, and that's saying a lot considering some of the slop I've seen going back to the mid-70s.
1976 was not embarrassing

No, not embarrassing, but those 4 straight losses did suck eggs though...I had heard from my dad and uncle about these so-called "playoffs" the 49ers had been in 1970-72, so when they started off 6-1 I thought for sure I'd get to see them. You know how that turned out, we had to suffer through a few head coaches, Joe Thomas, an arthritic Orenthal, and just some bad bad football until 1981.
Share 49ersWebzone