There are 240 users in the forums

Hear me out... Carlos Rogers to FS?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
WTF is with people and CB's at Safety? Clements, Rogers, Nnamdi, Cullive, just STFU this isnt madden!!

Ummm, Clements actually did play safety this year, and he wasn't bad at it.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
WTF is with people and CB's at Safety? Clements, Rogers, Nnamdi, Cullive, just STFU this isnt madden!!

Ummm, Clements actually did play safety this year, and he wasn't bad at it.

im talking about our corners. and when he was one
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ the elephant in the room that no one is talking about = do you you really want a rookie starting at FS as we make our SB run?!?

Carlton Williamson started at SS as a rookie while Dwight Hicks a journeyman FA started FS when the niners won their first SB along with rookies Eric Wright and a guy named Ronnie Lott playing the corners.
I think that was also Dwight Hicks' first assignment as a starter that season as well. There wasn't much experience back there and they tore up the league.

You mean, back in the days where corners could manhandle receivers and safeties could brutalize defenseless receivers?

Okay, great example!
  • ttown
  • Veteran
Brock and Cully were both safeties in college. As was nnamdi. I think Culliver's coverage skills keep him at corner, but I could see Brock competing at safety -- he's essentially the 4th/5th corner on the team now depending on where he fits in with Cox. Brock also entered the draft as a safety -- but was moved to corner when he flashed coverage skills in camp...

I didn't watch much of Dahl, but he's pretty hard to get very excited about.

We drafted two young safeties last year that the coaches seemed high on during the offseason/preseason that will compete. Didn't we also keep McBath? but who knows how well he would perform

And depending on how the team feels about the situation -- well I guess we'll see how high we draft a safety in April ;)

Regardless no doubt we have huge shoes to fill with Goldson departing... we will miss style of play, but this D should still be pretty darn good.
Originally posted by ttown:
Brock and Cully were both safeties in college. As was nnamdi. I think Culliver's coverage skills keep him at corner, but I could see Brock competing at safety -- he's essentially the 4th/5th corner on the team now depending on where he fits in with Cox. Brock also entered the draft as a safety -- but was moved to corner when he flashed coverage skills in camp...

I didn't watch much of Dahl, but he's pretty hard to get very excited about.

We drafted two young safeties last year that the coaches seemed high on during the offseason/preseason that will compete. Didn't we also keep McBath? but who knows how well he would perform

And depending on how the team feels about the situation -- well I guess we'll see how high we draft a safety in April ;)

Regardless no doubt we have huge shoes to fill with Goldson departing... we will miss style of play, but this D should still be pretty darn good.

the only reason Brock is on this team is b/c of his ST play IMO.
um no
God this thread is stupid
Back in the day , it wasnt such a stretch for a CB to move to safety ...but these days, the speed of the game can be overwhelming , and rushing attacks are much stronger and blocking schemes more complex , it's best to have a pure safety on your defensive unit
LOTS of corners have moved to one Safety position or another.

Woodson and he's been pretty good.

Ronnie Lott did and he was great!

Rodgers is no Lott but he might fit the position better than who we have currently on the roster.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Agreed

Rodgers imo might actually do well in the fs position but i see it highly unlikely to happen.
  • tsty
  • Veteran
The special ones can make the transition from corner to safety (Rod Woodson & Charles Woodson. etc.) but I don't see Rodgers as being that special.....he's just serviceable now. I agree, its unlikely.
No way dude is a Cb. Cull though or Brock would be better choices, not afraid to make a tackle, when i see Carlos i see a guy who covers and if he has to tackle he will but he'll just tie the guys feet up. We do however play man and single high saftey or rober. So were looking for a ball hawk, again I'd put cull or brock someone who's younger and can make the adjustment and let him play deep just make sure to keep the play infront of him. I still think we draft someone who will rotate until the coachs feel he's ready to go fully time like aldon.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Who the hell is Rodgers? So annoying! At least know your own players...
Share 49ersWebzone