LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Boldin versus Harvin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
All teams want to do take care of their own, however very few can. The Niners are 1 of those that can. Yes, we let Dashon go, but really, at that price why would we want to resign. We have taken care of a lot of our own in the last couple of years and next year we will take care of Kaep, Aldon, Mike Iupati, A.Davis and hopefully Crabtree(I actually think that Crabtree won't cost as much as most think, again I am a dreamer). We have the resources to do this. Add to that our surplus of quality draft picks,and I honestly don't see how this is going to be competitive for more that a year.

How are the Seahawks going to give Sherman an extension when they are already over the cap?

Chris

The off season isn't over yet
I expect more cuts, trades and or new/restructured contracts in order to make any necessary room...
John has something in mind in order to make the statement:
"There's a plan in place here, and there's several different phases to free agency, so we'll see how that goes," Schneider said. "But in the meantime, we'd really like to just kind of focus on our own guys, our younger players that we've drafted."
Not sure how many they can focus on but, I would imagine their list of 2013/14 priorities might include some mix of: Chancellor, Tate, Haushka, Browner, Robinson, Giacomini.
btw ~ I don't believe Sherm can extend until after this season

Sherman cannot extend until after this year, that was kind of my point. Right now the Seahawks are over the cap next year. I understand that some things will change, but you guys are going to have to lose a lot of key guys to sign your best guys. I am the farthest thing from a cap expert, but the Seahawks have some bad deals on their books right now. I know the Niners also have 1 bad deal on their books(Rogers), but that is about it. Most everyone else is signed to a very cap friendly deal. Having 7 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft doesn't hurt. We will likely have a lot of picks in next years draft too.

edit to say: The Seahawks are all in for this year because of the cap, the Niners are all in for the next 5+ years because of the cap. Which situation would you prefer?

Chris
[ Edited by ManBearPig99 on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM ]
Shun the non-believers
And who knows, maybe Boldin reworks his deal. Maybe 3 years 10-12 million, yes I am a dreamer. I already think that Boldin was the better trade, but if he reworks his deal then it isn't even close. IMO.

Chris
Originally posted by ManBearPig99:
Sherman cannot extend until after this year, that was kind of my point. Right now the Seahawks are over the cap next year. I understand that some things will change, but you guys are going to have to lose a lot of key guys to sign your best guys. I am the farthest thing from a cap expert, but the Seahawks have some bad deals on their books right now. I know the Niners also have 1 bad deal on their books(Rogers), but that is about it. Most everyone else is signed to a very cap friendly deal. Having 7 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft doesn't hurt. We will likely have a lot of picks in next years draft too.

edit to say: The Seahawks are all in for this year because of the cap, the Niners are all in for the next 5+ years because of the cap. Which situation would you prefer?

Chris

Obviously, I'm no cap expert myself (although I have to admit, I wish they'd institute something similar in MLB ... but I digress)

As for which situation I'd prefer ...
ask me after the season (my answer may depend upon whether or not that trophy case is still empty )

Seriously, I'd like both: the ability to take advantage of veteran FA / trade opportunities that come along while keeping a young core fat and happy.
I honestly believe that is the goal but, as a fan, all I can do is trust the plan in place is sound and the execution of the plan is even more sound.
  • thl408
'Dynamic' is a term up for debate and could mean different things to each of us. I commented earlier that Harvin was more dynamic than Boldin. To me, a dynamic athlete is one that can effectively contribute in many ways to the team. They have more ways to hurt the opposition. I didn't consider Randy Moss dynamic in his prime. He was explosive, dangerous, but not my definition of dynamic. In basketball, a dynamic player can score and also able to create offense for others. In hockey, a dynamic defensemen can lock his side down while also being able to jumpstart the offense.

A dynamic WR/RB/TE is one that can be utilized in many formations. AN offense can get the ball to him in many ways. It's not just the STs that set them apart either. It's the ways you can use him on offense. Boldin is slot or wide. Harvin is backfield handoff, slot, wide, isolate in the flats or go deep.
[ Edited by thl408 on Mar 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM ]
I think we got the guy that fits our system and sea got the guy who fits theirs. Harvin will fit in with the misfits and boldin will be right at home in blue collar Jim's locker room.
We really like versatile guys and with the walker loss boldin makes more sense. He is an everydown player who will help extend plays down field. Somehow I don't see headache harvin throwing blocks or taking on seatles huge corners like boldin can. With Kendal hunter coming back , gore, James , and kaep, I would expect we go back to a more run centered team
Boldin is the better fit for our system.
And I really can't see harvin trying to run the ball against our ilb's.
overall I can see both guts doing well on their new teams
LOL this thread
This turned out to be more one-sided than comparing the two teams' trophy cases.
LOL
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This turned out to be more one-sided than comparing the two teams' trophy cases.

But hes so "Dynamic"!!

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
But hes so "Dynamic"!!

you never know what will break next!
Percy Jackson worked more this past year than Percy Harvin
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
But hes so "Dynamic"!!

you never know what will break next!

ZING!
harvin really does suck
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Percy Jackson worked more this past year than Percy Harvin

This

Pu**y Harvin don't want none. He's like that chick that says she's got a headache, or says she's not ready yet. All show
no production. The Saints put him out. If he comes anywhere near Donte "Hitner" Whitner he'll pee on himself. And don't let
PWilly or Bow put hands on him or he'll be carted off the field with an IV and defib in toe.
Share 49ersWebzone