LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

2013 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Gore, nice read and thanks. One thing, tho. I agree we need a FS and #2TE, but even bigger concern is 2 more DLs. And at #31 and #34, who is going to be BPA ? RIght, DLs. Hence, I think we go 2 DLs....assuming trent doesn't move up. If we move up, he is probably going FS. At 31 and 34, my guess is BPA will be two DLs, which would make our DL pretty healthy going on into the future. FS at 31 or 34, means we didn't get top tier FS. As for TE, i would think we need FS and 2 DLs before picking a TE. OTOH, if 49ers suddenly are picking at 15 or 20, we probably went FS/CB.
Just read the whole thread, and if I can absorb 10% of what was said here, it will still have been seriously informative. Good work gents.
Originally posted by xtm059:
Just read the whole thread, and if I can absorb 10% of what was said here, it will still have been seriously informative. Good work gents.

Backatcha!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Gore, nice read and thanks. One thing, tho. I agree we need a FS and #2TE, but even bigger concern is 2 more DLs. And at #31 and #34, who is going to be BPA ? RIght, DLs. Hence, I think we go 2 DLs....assuming trent doesn't move up. If we move up, he is probably going FS. At 31 and 34, my guess is BPA will be two DLs, which would make our DL pretty healthy going on into the future. FS at 31 or 34, means we didn't get top tier FS. As for TE, i would think we need FS and 2 DLs before picking a TE. OTOH, if 49ers suddenly are picking at 15 or 20, we probably went FS/CB.

I wouldn't hate it if we go two more DL's but that means at the earliest (baring a trade up) we are selecting our starting FS at 61. Depends on if they feel someone like Thomas, Rambo, etc would be as good as someone at 31 or 34... say Cyprien or Reid. Like I said I see us as having 2 drafts to replace starters in Justin, Donte, Boldin/Manningham/Williams, etc. So to me we can select a DL to replace Justin this year or next but probably this year (to groom and to give depth this year). We will probably wait until next year to draft Whitner's replacement but it's a deep SS class so it could be this year unless someone on the roster is the answer. As for WR maybe we plan on re-signing 1 or 2 of those guys but we could take one this year but probably next. As for TE I am ok with them not going TE at 31 or 34. 61 or in the 3rd is fine but I think it's still a big need. We want an explosive offense... we use our #2 TE as much as anybody in the league. We need a good blocker and a good pass catcher. Doesn't matter if we have Vernon... our offense needs 2 good TE's. Celek to me is a good 3... good blocker and could be a develop into a decent pass catcher. At least better than then guys we had in the past at 3 like Justin Peelle. Celek seems like a sit down and find a hole kind of guy, wasn't really impressed with his speed but Witten is one of the best TE's in the league and that's what he does. Still don't see Celek as a 2 but maybe they do and I trust the staff and coaches. So I could see us getting one at 34 or 61, I could see us waiting until the 3rd or 4th... maybe Reed, Kelce, Escobar or Sims.
Updated...thanks AB.

With only 1.088M to spare, who is getting cut? Extended? Thoughts?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Updated...thanks AB.

Yikes, we're strapped for cash right now. Not sure how much money is required to sign the rookie class.

Initially, I had Manningham and Haralson as potential cap casualties, but they've both taken massive pay cuts so it looks like they're staying. I suppose they could cut some low-end roster types to clear a few mil. Tramaine Brock is scheduled to make $1.3 mil and he's a 5th or 6th corner.

Iupati and Crabtree are logical choices for an extension. Justin Smith could be a good option for an extension. I think he's on the books for $7.5 mil this year. We could extend him a couple years and lower the cap figure for this year.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Updated...thanks AB.

Yikes, we're strapped for cash right now. Not sure how much money is required to sign the rookie class.

Initially, I had Manningham and Haralson as potential cap casualties, but they've both taken massive pay cuts so it looks like they're staying. I suppose they could cut some low-end roster types to clear a few mil. Tramaine Brock is scheduled to make $1.3 mil and he's a 5th or 6th corner.

Iupati and Crabtree are logical choices for an extension. Justin Smith could be a good option for an extension. I think he's on the books for $7.5 mil this year. We could extend him a couple years and lower the cap figure for this year.

Agreed.

These are my top potential cuts:
Goodwin - $4,350,000 - Potential
Whitner - $4,100,000 - Potential
B.Jennings - $1,161,000 - Potential
Rogers - $1,110,937 - Potential

Also, Boldin could be another who restructures his contract as well. Goodwin could be a cap casualty d/t Looney/Kilgore's growth at C (and upside). Whitner (who gave up 14 TD's last year alone) could be replaced by the new FA, Dahl.
Agreed.

These are my top potential cuts:
Goodwin - $4,350,000 - Potential
Whitner - $4,100,000 - Potential
B.Jennings - $1,161,000 - Potential
Rogers - $1,110,937 - Potential

Also, Boldin could be another who restructures his contract as well. Goodwin could be a cap casualty d/t Looney/Kilgore's growth at C (and upside). Whitner (who gave up 14 TD's last year alone) could be replaced by the new FA, Dahl.

I'm pretty sure it's Goodwin going to get cut. Kilgore and Looney are there, and they've had time to learn the system and work (some) with 1st team. I also agree Whitner is a 50/50 possibility.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I'm pretty sure it's Goodwin going to get cut. Kilgore and Looney are there, and they've had time to learn the system and work (some) with 1st team. I also agree Whitner is a 50/50 possibility.

Yeah and the draft may not reveal the secret to who may be cut either...ohhhh the off season!
NC.... Goodwin, Jennings, Whitner , Rogers....you were talking about cutting them, redoing salaries, or combo of both?

Yeah, it could be after June 1st when we cut those guy(s) since then you get to spread the cap hit out over two years. It might depend on how the draft goes; it might not. We could have our minds made up already. Maybe we try to restructure but you would think we would have done that when we did haralson and manningham. Could end up keeping all of them as well. I'd feel more comfortable with a rookie SS than FS but doubt we want two rookies at S. I think we let Goodwin play out his contract but Looney (maybe Kilgore) could probably take over now. Some how we have to make about 5 or so million to pay for our rookies. Side note Rogers just doesn't make sense to save 1.1 mil we have to save 6.23 mil, even if we spread that out over 2 years by cutting him after June 1st it's still 3.1 mil in dead money a year. in comparison we have less than 1 mil total for all players in dead money this year. If we do it after june 1st next year we would have 5.1 in savings and a little under 3 mil to spread out over 2 years which is 1.5 a year.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC.... Goodwin, Jennings, Whitner , Rogers....you were talking about cutting them, redoing salaries, or combo of both?

Well, if I had to guess:
Goodwin - potential june 1st cut if Looney/Kilgore are worthy or potential restructure to stay but starting battle will be fierce
Jennings - no clue on this one but someone had mentioned previously that 1.6M may be too high for a long snapper if we have a viable backup
Whitner - if Dahl/Robinson seems to be picking up the SS position as quickly as expected, Whitner could be a June 1st cut or restructure. I expect the FS to be a first round rookie to compete with Spillman.
Rogers - highly doubt he gets cut b/c of the dead money BUT he may be asked to restructure d/t Nnamdi's emergence
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, it could be after June 1st when we cut those guy(s) since then you get to spread the cap hit out over two years. It might depend on how the draft goes; it might not. We could have our minds made up already. Maybe we try to restructure but you would think we would have done that when we did haralson and manningham. Could end up keeping all of them as well. I'd feel more comfortable with a rookie SS than FS but doubt we want two rookies at S. I think we let Goodwin play out his contract but Looney (maybe Kilgore) could probably take over now. Some how we have to make about 5 or so million to pay for our rookies. Side note Rogers just doesn't make sense to save 1.1 mil we have to save 6.23 mil, even if we spread that out over 2 years by cutting him after June 1st it's still 3.1 mil in dead money a year. in comparison we have less than 1 mil total for all players in dead money this year. If we do it after june 1st next year we would have 5.1 in savings and a little under 3 mil to spread out over 2 years which is 1.5 a year.

Both Manningham and Haralson already restructured. I'm waiting to see a new deal done with Boldin as well. Maybe more to come as well?

OLB Parys Haralson - $1.3M (with a chance to make $1.7M)
WR Mario Manningham - restructured his deal, lowering his base salary to $1.8M (they also eliminated his roster and workout bonuses)

Since our needs are the following, IMHO, these picks most likely won't tell us much of what we might do with Goodwin, Whitner, Rogers or Jennings.

Top Tier S (may need both FS & SS)
Top Tier DE
Top Tier TE
Second Tier CB
Second Tier WR
Top or Second Tier NT
Second Tier T
Second Tier C
Second Tier OLB
Second Tier PK/ST

Matt Maiocco http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-pre-draft-depth-chart-defense has the following right now:
FS -- Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Michael Thomas
SS -- Donte Whitner, Trenton Robinson, Darcel McBath

But I expect Dahl will compete with Whitner at SS as they are similar players/styles and IQ. I doubt the coaching staff feels Dahl would give up a league high 14 TD's. I also expect, IMHO again, Robinson will be competing with Spillman and a high draft pick at FS.

It's also interesting to note that upon talking about Goldson's departure, Whitner first mentioned Nnamdi and then Dahl. Would Fangio be looking to move Nnamdi to FS? And let's not forget about Culliver here either...if he try out there and impresses, then either Nnamdi or Rogers takes over his previous role.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 12, 2013 at 7:57 AM ]
Both Manningham and Haralson already restructured. I'm waiting to see a new deal done with Boldin as well. Maybe more to come as well?

OLB Parys Haralson - $1.3M (with a chance to make $1.7M)
WR Mario Manningham - restructured his deal, lowering his base salary to $1.8M (they also eliminated his roster and workout bonuses)

Since our needs are the following, IMHO, these picks most likely won't tell us much of what we might do with Goodwin, Whitner, Rogers or Jennings.

Top Tier S (may need both FS & SS)
Top Tier DE
Top Tier TE
Second Tier CB
Second Tier WR
Top or Second Tier NT
Second Tier T
Second Tier C
Second Tier OLB
Second Tier PK/ST

Matt Maiocco http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-pre-draft-depth-chart-defense has the following right now:
FS -- Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman, Michael Thomas
SS -- Donte Whitner, Trenton Robinson, Darcel McBath

But I expect Dahl will compete with Whitner at SS as they are similar players/styles and IQ. I doubt the coaching staff feels Dahl would give up a league high 14 TD's. I also expect, IMHO again, Robinson will be competing with Spillman and a high draft pick at FS.

It's also interesting to note that upon talking about Goldson's departure, Whitner first mentioned Nnamdi and then Dahl. Would Fangio be looking to move Nnamdi to FS? And let's not forget about Culliver here either...if he try out there and impresses, then either Nnamdi or Rogers takes over his previous role.

I think the entire secondary is essentially an open competition come TC this year. The best 4 or 5 players will start, regardless of what their listed position is. Make sense, or am I just nucking futs?
Originally posted by Beeker:
I think the entire secondary is essentially an open competition come TC this year. The best 4 or 5 players will start, regardless of what their listed position is. Make sense, or am I just nucking futs?

No, not at all...that's been my prediction from day 1...that we'd see a totally different secondary. And then Goldson leaves, Nnamdi signs, so does Dahl, etc. Bath resigns. Spillman and Robinson and Culliver? And oh yeah, the draft is right around the corner! What to do with Rogers? Whitner's salary?
Share 49ersWebzone