LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

49ers trade for Anquan Boldin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
his age is of, or should be of no concern. hands, blocker, physical, leaper, great locker room guy. everything we hoped moss would be and a whole lot more
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So with Boldin in this offense are we looking at a 50 catch 650 yard type season? He will probably be the 3rd option in a run first offense.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
So with Boldin in this offense are we looking at a 50 catch 650 yard type season? He will probably be the 3rd option in a run first offense.

I have no idea.

1) Too many variables.

2) Who knows what Roman cooks up for the offense next season.

I will say that it's a good bet Boldin gives us production worth that sixth round pick.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Boldin might even be the 4th option, but he only cost a 6th round pick. Not likely that they could've drafted somebody that late and have them provide the offense that he will. Maybe his contract is a bit steep, but the 49ers need physical WRs like him to counteract the ridiculous non-interference and non-illegal contact by Seahawks CBs. This trade is a win through and through.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Agreed, if he was a speed guy then his age might have more of an impact, he probably has 3-4 solid seasons before he really falls off.

This. People talking about Boldin losing a step or losing speed make me chuckle. He never had much speed to begin with, his game was always outworking and outthinking the defense, even going back to Arizona, winning contested passes, using his body to shield the ball from the defender, anticipating what the defender will do...etc. I don't know that the 49ers could have gotten a veteran receiver that is a better fit for this team. He's quite possibly the best run-blocking WR in football as well, I'm sure the coaching staff loves that part a lot too.

I usually go to a few Cardinals games per year with buddies and I had the pleasure of watching this guy in Arizona and his game has basically always been the same. Just tough, hard-nosed, smart football.

For Kaepernick this is a blessing, have a reliable outlet in addition to Crabtree. When in doubt, just throw it up to Q and let him go up and get the pass.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM ]
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Boldin might even be the 4th option, but he only cost a 6th round pick. Not likely that they could've drafted somebody that late and have them provide the offense that he will. Maybe his contract is a bit steep, but the 49ers need physical WRs like him to counteract the ridiculous non-interference and non-illegal contact by Seahawks CBs. This trade is a win through and through.

I see Boldin as the #2 WR for the 49ers and a Top 3 target right off the bat. He's going to provide another quality option on 3rd down and in the Redzone because at times during the past 2 seasons, it has literally been VD or Crabtree and nobody else. He gives them another option, another guy teams have to worry about, he's not a #1 WR type, he's more Robin than Batman but with what he can contribute to this team is terrific. I wouldn't be slightly surprised to see him wind up with 700 or 800 yards receiving, not in the slightest.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I hope Jenkins can step up and use that speed. We can even do the read option/pistol with James and Hunter in the backfield at the same time. We shouldn't punt much this year.
Originally posted by pd24:
I hope Jenkins can step up and use that speed. We can even do the read option/pistol with James and Hunter in the backfield at the same time. We shouldn't punt much this year.

x2. Want Jenkins to succeed badly, if he can get his s**t together, wow.....that would make for some explosive offense. You have Crabtree, Boldin, VD and Jenkins going deep. Good luck defending that.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
x2. Want Jenkins to succeed badly, if he can get his s**t together, wow.....that would make for some explosive offense. You have Crabtree, Boldin, VD and Jenkins going deep. Good luck defending that.
could be one of the reasons why charles w wants to sign with us
  • pd24
  • Veteran

With the defense trying to cover everyone and one or two guys drawing a double team, Kaep will have all kinds of running room with the defense backed up so far.

With the defense trying to cover everyone and one or two guys drawing a double team, Kaep will have all kinds of running room with the defense backed up so far.

All this sounds like the $h!t(!) I'm kinda gettin juiced just reading & thinking about it. Like Bart Scott(I think that's who said it) said "can't wait(I think that's what he said)". The draft seems like forever & that's what I consider the half way point to the season. $.0.13.(!)
boldin and crabs will be a monster duo and jenkins should clean up in the slot. i cant wait to see us against seattle with crabs and boldin outside. try to get physical with boldin and youll get knocked on your ass lol
  • obx49
  • Veteran
I haven't read all of the 62 pages of this thread, but does anyone know how Bolden feels about this trade? He may just decide to hang it up and retire rather than make the move to the west coast. I don't think money is a huge issue with him and he's won a championship so getting another ring isn't a big motivational factor. I wouldn't be to excited until I see Bolden on that podium telling us how excited he is to be a Niner.
Originally posted by obx49:
I haven't read all of the 62 pages of this thread, but does anyone know how Bolden feels about this trade? He may just decide to hang it up and retire rather than make the move to the west coast. I don't think money is a huge issue with him and he's won a championship so getting another ring isn't a big motivational factor. I wouldn't be to excited until I see Bolden on that podium telling us how excited he is to be a Niner.

He was surprised, but he felt SF was a good place to be.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by obx49:

He was surprised, but he felt SF was a good place to be.

I read that too. I do worry about his talk about retirement though too. We shall see.
Share 49ersWebzone