LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

The Baalke Effect...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Baalke y u no sign duh-rel revis yet
Ads, much as I would have liked him for a yr at $6mil, I sure didn't want to see us pay him $12 mil for one yr. That skews and screws the beautifully worked out salary cap status based on talent/value. When you overpay one guy, next thing you know everyone else wants a big raise too next time their contract is up. Trent's job with salaries is a thing of beauty...a masterpiece. And the one way to uck-fay it up is to drop $12 mil on a Revis. This is a dying gasp for bellicheat and his 38 yr old QB. Heck it isn't close to being enough to beat Denver, where they insanely blew money. That team in 3,4, 5 yrs is going to look like the Atomic Bomb went off in it, when all these salaries bite them in the azz.

No thanks, I'll take the Baalke way, please. Incidentally, we just upgraded with Bethea, a much better pass prevention guy than Whitner. Both hit like a ton of bricks, but Bethea breaks up passes...whitner tackles the receiver after the catch. Big difference,and at .5mil/yr less than whitner signed for. As for Martin, big upgrade over Snyder. jeez he went in 2nd rd to Miami. We got him for a 7th. Jeez!.

As for gabbert, it was said best elsewhere: sign him, restructure downward, coach up and then trade him for two 3rds, or a 3rd and 4th. Plus he is there in case of calamity. And no I don't like him but still a potential upgrade.

We are going to get 3, 4, maybe 5 or 6 starters out of this draft, not the best in 10 yrs, but deepest and most quality in 20 or 30 yrs...so sez casserly, pioli, et al. And we got 10 or 11 picks to use. Bellicheat got rivas for 1 yr at $12 mil. I like Trent's and Jim's way. Poco a poco. Little by little.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ads, much as I would have liked him for a yr at $6mil, I sure didn't want to see us pay him $12 mil for one yr. That skews and screws the beautifully worked out salary cap status based on talent/value. When you overpay one guy, next thing you know everyone else wants a big raise too next time their contract is up. Trent's job with salaries is a thing of beauty...a masterpiece. And the one way to uck-fay it up is to drop $12 mil on a Revis. This is a dying gasp for bellicheat and his 38 yr old QB. Heck it isn't close to being enough to beat Denver, where they insanely blew money. That team in 3,4, 5 yrs is going to look like the Atomic Bomb went off in it, when all these salaries bite them in the azz.

No thanks, I'll take the Baalke way, please. Incidentally, we just upgraded with Bethea, a much better pass prevention guy than Whitner. Both hit like a ton of bricks, but Bethea breaks up passes...whitner tackles the receiver after the catch. Big difference,and at .5mil/yr less than whitner signed for. As for Martin, big upgrade over Snyder. jeez he went in 2nd rd to Miami. We got him for a 7th. Jeez!.

As for gabbert, it was said best elsewhere: sign him, restructure downward, coach up and then trade him for two 3rds, or a 3rd and 4th. Plus he is there in case of calamity. And no I don't like him but still a potential upgrade.

We are going to get 3, 4, maybe 5 or 6 starters out of this draft, not the best in 10 yrs, but deepest and most quality in 20 or 30 yrs...so sez casserly, pioli, et al. And we got 10 or 11 picks to use. Bellicheat got rivas for 1 yr at $12 mil. I like Trent's and Jim's way. Poco a poco. Little by little.

I can truly see that. I believe 2014 is going to set us up for years to come. And because of the way we manage our contracts and free agents, I think we are set up for a little better long term success than just about any other team out there. I see New England and Denver are in Super Bowl or bust mode, which I can understand because they have aging QBs. We seem to be building to compete for and win multiple Super Bowls.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The complete title of this thread is....

"The Baalke Effect....On the 'Zone when he signs camp bodies and the sky starts falling because morons think Chris Cook is going to be starting for us"

People need to calm down on here, it is absolutely hilarious to see such overreaction and conjecture.
Originally posted by MILFS:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Let's see, I woke up, drank a coffee, went to work

Let's see, Baalke signed a Pro Bowl kicker (Dawson), #3 or 4 CB (Eric Wright), starting safety (Antoine Bethea (to replace Whitner)), traded for a backup QB (Gabbert) that was the #10 overall draft in the very same draft that your starting QB was picked in and whom Harbaugh loves, traded for a backup offensive lineman who was a second round pick that your coach knows better than anyone in the league and got him drafted (really).

Meanwhile, not only did not you not really give up anything (6th, 7th, hello) but you would actually get a compensatory 3rd in the future due to the Whitner signing

And, you still have 11 picks in the upcoming draft, 6 in the first 3 rounds, in what many consider is one of the deepest drafts in the last 10 years

Babies, Babies, y'all be wearing gold plated diapers

we are so sick.

Yes, in fact, many of us are considered the major breaks with reality that appear in posts here everyday....
Originally posted by Disp:
Whitner isn't gonna get us a 3'rd round comp pick. We signed a dude for basically the same deal to replace him.

It is not based soley on those two players it is the total culmative effect. Who did we sign and who did we lose will affect the compensatory picks in 2015-thats right, it has no bearing on this years draft. So we lost Whitner, Brown, Dixon. Carlos does not count cause he was released.

Now, who did we pick up Bethea and Cook.

Anyone else I am missing from both sides of the coin?
Whitner isn't gonna get us a 3'rd round comp pick. We signed a dude for basically the same deal to replace him.

Maybe not a 3rd, but contract plays the major part in the formula and Bathea's contract is about 1/3 Whitners
Originally posted by WINiner:

Maybe not a 3rd, but contract plays the major part in the formula and Bathea's contract is about 1/3 Whitners

Here's where we stand so far:

Gains
Bethea (4-yr, $21 mil)
Cook (1-yr, 900k, might not qualify--low salary)

Losses
Whitner (4-yr, $28 mil)
Brown (1-yr, $3.5 mil)
Dixon (undisclosed, probably minimum deal, might not qualify--low salary)

So we have more losses than gains. 1 comp pick could be awarded, but probably a late one. Bethea's and Whitner's deals look similar enough where they might cancel each other out, especially if we make the playoffs and Cleveland does not. Playoffs contributions factor in as well. Cook and Dixon might not factor into the equation at all because of their low deals. The way I see it, if we do get a comp pick, it will be for the loss of Brown.

If anyone has more knowledge on the subject, feel free to chime in.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]
So let's recap...you guys can list the minor trades here. But essentially, he moved up one spot and acquired a 4th for next year, essentially, making the WR Stevie Johnson trade, for free. Then he moves UP one spot and it only takes a 7th. Talk about pwnage! Then, he goes full value after our biggest need (S) who essentially, kills three birds with one stone (Ward = Nickle and pushes Cox and Wright/Future S next to Reid/ST punt rush team). The value? He gets the best RB in Hyde (esp. for OUR offense) in case Lattimore doesn't work out, gets the best C in the draft by far in case Kilgore doesn't pan out and then gets the red-shirt OT/OG (Thomas) in case Iupati wants to bail (more bargaining power for us here as well). Keeping with the theme, the Johnson trade alone ensures we hold all the bargaining power with Crabtree if he wants to stay with us. Essentially, he just pushed all of our weaknesses to major competitive positions WITH depth while also filling every need now and into the future while ensuring we have the upper hand in contract negotiations.

For those vaginas still crying over a CB or WR? Baalke has a track record of finding and developing (Donatell) CB's in the very late rounds and literally, off the streets in Brock, Cox, Cooper, Morris, Cook, Nnamdi, Wright, Swanson, etc. Some will work out and some won't. Ward pushes both Cox and Wright at the #3 with Brock and Cully solidified as the #1 and #2. Anything else is only bonus and who is going to better than these top 4? WR? With Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hampton, Hunter, Miller and James, how many passes do you expect the #3 to get? And what about McDonald who's also expected to be incorporated into the passing game this year. Right now we have Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Patton...Baldwin, Patton, Osgood, Wiley, etc. Who are we going to draft that is going to push Patton for one pass a game?

The only need pick we have left is a dynamic returner and he may already be on our roster in Devon Wiley (who also plays the slot).

And just chill...the UDFA's typically have a winner in there as well and let's not forget the grocery-long list of first-time/second year players who are expected to contribute THIS year.

And wait, we still have rounds 4-7 tomorrow as well?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
So let's recap...you guys can list the minor trades here. But essentially, he moved up one spot and acquired a 4th for next year, essentially, making the WR Stevie Johnson trade, for free. Then he moves UP one spot and it only takes a 7th. Talk about pwnage! Then, he goes full value after our biggest need (S) who essentially, kills three birds with one stone (Ward = Nickle and pushes Cox and Wright/Future S next to Reid/ST punt rush team). The value? He gets the best RB in Hyde (esp. for OUR offense) in case Lattimore doesn't work out, gets the best C in the draft by far in case Kilgore doesn't pan out and then gets the red-shirt OT/OG (Thomas) in case Iupati wants to bail (more bargaining power for us here as well). Keeping with the theme, the Johnson trade alone ensures we hold all the bargaining power with Crabtree if he wants to stay with us. Essentially, he just pushed all of our weaknesses to major competitive positions WITH depth while also filling every need now and into the future.

For those vaginas still crying over a CB or WR? Baalke has a track record of finding and developing (Donatell) CB's in the very late rounds and literally, off the streets in Brock, Cox, Cooper, Morris, Cook, Nnamdi, Wright, Swanson, etc. Some will work out and some won't. Ward pushes both Cox and Wright at the #3 with Brock and Cully solidified as the #1 and #2. Anything else is only bonus. WR? With Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hampton, Hunter, Miller and James, how many passes do you expect the #3 to get? And what about McDonald who's also expected to be incorporated into the passing game this year. Right now we have Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Patton...Baldwin, Wiley, Patton, etc. Who are we going to draft that is going to push Patton for one pass a game?

The only need pick we have left is a dynamic returner and he may already be on our roster in Devon Wiley (who also plays the slot).

And just chill...the UDFA's typically have a winner in there as well and let's not forget the grocery-long list of first-time/second year players who are expected to contribute THIS year.

I like reason NCommand, you always bring it

Baalke doing a great job working the draft as usual! Hope it continues tomorrow too! Go Baalke!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So let's recap...you guys can list the minor trades here. But essentially, he moved up one spot and acquired a 4th for next year, essentially, making the WR Stevie Johnson trade, for free. Then he moves UP one spot and it only takes a 7th. Talk about pwnage! Then, he goes full value after our biggest need (S) who essentially, kills three birds with one stone (Ward = Nickle and pushes Cox and Wright/Future S next to Reid/ST punt rush team). The value? He gets the best RB in Hyde (esp. for OUR offense) in case Lattimore doesn't work out, gets the best C in the draft by far in case Kilgore doesn't pan out and then gets the red-shirt OT/OG (Thomas) in case Iupati wants to bail (more bargaining power for us here as well). Keeping with the theme, the Johnson trade alone ensures we hold all the bargaining power with Crabtree if he wants to stay with us. Essentially, he just pushed all of our weaknesses to major competitive positions WITH depth while also filling every need now and into the future.

For those vaginas still crying over a CB or WR? Baalke has a track record of finding and developing (Donatell) CB's in the very late rounds and literally, off the streets in Brock, Cox, Cooper, Morris, Cook, Nnamdi, Wright, Swanson, etc. Some will work out and some won't. Ward pushes both Cox and Wright at the #3 with Brock and Cully solidified as the #1 and #2. Anything else is only bonus. WR? With Gore, Hyde, Lattimore, Hampton, Hunter, Miller and James, how many passes do you expect the #3 to get? And what about McDonald who's also expected to be incorporated into the passing game this year. Right now we have Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Patton...Baldwin, Wiley, Patton, etc. Who are we going to draft that is going to push Patton for one pass a game?

I like reason NCommand, you always bring it

Thanks brother. And like I reported earlier today, Harvin at $12.9M takes up more cap room in 2015 than Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson combined and all three are 1,000 receivers (even in our low-passing offense). What's there to complain about? Hawks only have $26.1M to sign Russel Wilson, Cliff Avril, K.J. Wright, Bobby Wagner, Malcom Smith, Byron Maxwell, Russell Okung & Doug Baldwin just to name a few of the top names. Also, that's assuming the cap goes up to $140M. Translation? Hawks near future is eff'd. We are golden!
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

Best post in the last 48hrs sir.

I recommend that everyone read it.
Originally posted by Crown:

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crown:

Lol go NC -- thanks for slapping some fools with that. I literally smiled and laughed ear to ear when we got that 4th rounder next season. We basically got Stevie Johnson for a 7th (does someone have details on the conditions of the pick?).
Share 49ersWebzone