There are 218 users in the forums

Deal for Alex Smith Done?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yet it continues to happen, year after year after year after year, QB's will always hold high value and trading a 3rd round pick for Alex is hardly exorbitant. You realize how many 3rd round picks turn into absolute busts? If you can get a starting QB that throws for 3200-3300 yards, 20-25 touchdowns, 8-12 INT's and completes 62-65% of his passes, that's well worth a 3rd round pick and then some.

Those are game manager type stats. It can work on a team with a top defense like the Niners of 2011, but it won't work for a team with a dreadful defense that gave up 26 points a game last season. The Chiefs will once again be mired in mediocrity.

Alex Smith = Matt Cassel version 2.0.

Why should Chiefs fans be excited about that?
Originally posted by burtreynolds12:
Yet it continues to happen, year after year after year after year, QB's will always hold high value and trading a 3rd round pick for Alex is hardly exorbitant. You realize how many 3rd round picks turn into absolute busts? If you can get a starting QB that throws for 3200-3300 yards, 20-25 touchdowns, 8-12 INT's and completes 62-65% of his passes, that's well worth a 3rd round pick and then some.

Those are game manager type stats. It can work on a team with a top defense like the Niners of 2011, but it won't work for a team with a dreadful defense that gave up 26 points a game last season. The Chiefs will once again be mired in mediocrity.

I'm guessing your a Chiefs fan?

Look, I've I've watched every game Alex Smith has ever played as a pro. He is NOT Matt Cassel. Alex was NEVER as bad as advertised. He's a smart guy who works his a$$ off. He's mobile and he accurate on short to medium routes. He has issues tho with deep passes on the sidelines.

What Alex needed early in his career is a good OC. He had that with Norv in year 2 when he had a huge performance increase from year one. He didn't get another one till Harbaugh/Roman.

Alex has that in Reid. Alex will be much better in KC than any of you think. The only reason SF is trading him at all is that Colin Kaepernick is freakin ridiculous good.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I'm guessing your a Chiefs fan?

Look, I've I've watched every game Alex Smith has ever played as a pro. He is NOT Matt Cassel. Alex was NEVER as bad as advertised. He's a smart guy who works his a$$ off. He's mobile and he accurate on short to medium routes. He has issues tho with deep passes on the sidelines.

What Alex needed early in his career is a good OC. He had that with Norv in year 2 when he had a huge performance increase from year one. He didn't get another one till Harbaugh/Roman.

Alex has that in Reid. Alex will be much better in KC than any of you think. The only reason SF is trading him at all is that Colin Kaepernick is freakin ridiculous good.

You speak the truth, my friend.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

In Cassel's healthy seasons he averaged 21 TDs, 11 INTs and 3200 yards. If Alex Smith averages 21 TD's and probably 8 INT's i'm sure KC would be happy with that.
There's a video a month or so back I think it was nfl network where they were talking about the top QB's in the draft and Geno Smith's NFL comparison was...Alex Smith.

That would be freaking hilarious if that got posted on the Chiefs board.
Originally posted by Jt8786:
Is Alex on board then?

Why would it matter? Ultimately he has no say in the decision. I'm guessing Baalke would have ran it by him as a courtesy, but the reality of the situation is...........

You realize Alex could simply tell KC "yeah sure trade for me, I'm gonna throw the ball to the opponents every snap, how many draft picks ya gonna give up for that?" He has a say. If he doesn't want to be there there is no point in a team trading for him.

LOL.....Chiefs should be so lucky to have a "game manager" stats. Especially considering none of the rookies this year project to be instant starters. I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone like Geno Smith as the starting QB, a guy who's essentially the black Alex Smith. Having a quality veteran can be priceless when it comes to developing a young QB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
You realize Alex could simply tell KC "yeah sure trade for me, I'm gonna throw the ball to the opponents every snap, how many draft picks ya gonna give up for that?" He has a say. If he doesn't want to be there there is no point in a team trading for him.

HAHA thanks i needed a good laugh!

Yes, because his track record indicates that's exactly the kind of guy he is. Doing that would be a surefire way for him to continue his career elsewhere in the NFL....oh wait, NO it wouldn't.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Fricker:
yep that are have you see the thread .. hours of laughter and enjoyment.. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270361&page=14

i also was the one that broke that Nate Davis got traded to the Colts before it happened .. so believe what ya want .. but this is pretty much the deal. Obviously anything can happen between now and 3/12 but from what i was told today.. This was the deal agreed on and good to go.

Lulz.

Yes, because his track record indicates that's exactly the kind of guy he is. Doing that would be a surefire way for him to continue his career elsewhere in the NFL....oh wait, NO it wouldn't.

My point is still valid. If Alex tells a team he doesn't want to play there they won't be inclined to give up anything of value to bring him in. It is just common sense. History has shown he is emotionally fragile and needs the right situation to succeed. Nobody is giving up anything of value for him unless he is on board with it.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

My point is still valid. If Alex tells a team he doesn't want to play there they won't be inclined to give up anything of value to bring him in. It is just common sense. History has shown he is emotionally fragile and needs the right situation to succeed. Nobody is giving up anything of value for him unless he is on board with it.

what's not to like about KC as the best situation for Alex?

Pro Bowl RB
QB friendly/guru HC
talent on defense

what other QB needy team offers a better situation for Alex?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Oh yeah.....not to pop anyone's bubble here but....

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Jim Harbaugh will be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins

Originally posted by Fricker:
LOL thats cute.. but obviously since its not supposed to break until march 12th i cant say where i heard it from.. just let it be known.. its gonna happen. 99.5% sure.

thanks for your inside info adam schefter

you didn't break the Nate Davis news first either
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Feb 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
thanks for your inside info adam schefter

you didn't break the Nate Davis first either

Mainly because it never happened.
Share 49ersWebzone