LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

Niners fan in Seattle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Because next year you will play a tougher schedule then this year because you made the playoffs. That's the main reason why i think he could slump.

Thats a reason why we fell to 11 wins from 13. You have to play harder teams when you have success.

that's an argument as to why the team may struggle to win more games.. i don't see how that's an argument as to why Wilson will struggle.. we're not playing anyone tougher next season than we played this season... keep in mind.. wilson didn't struggle on the road as much as our defense did, especially in the 2nd half..
Originally posted by GNielsen:
And, on the Flynn thing, it's the same as with the Niners and their two QB's. Sure, they can afford it because Wilson and Kaepernick are cheap right now. But, do they want to spend a lot on a backup QB? We'll see. It's hard for me to believe the Hawks would keep Flynn if they had 100% certainty that Wilson could maintain the quality of play he exhibited for the last half of last season. The reason Alex Smith will be playing somewhere else is that the Niners coaching staff is absolutely certain they've got a franchise QB in Colin Kaepernick. I would expect the same kind of equation in Seattle if they're sure up there.

first off, Flynn is not making AS money, and RW is not making Kap money either... our QB money situation is not a problem in the least when it comes to cap Space... the only way they release/trade flynn is if we get something of value to us in exchange.. there is no other reason to release him... other than they feel bad that he's not getting a chance to start somewhere, which i think we both know is BullSh*t.. they could care less about his feelings..

and sorry i'm not buying the NFL didn't see Wilson coming story... all NFCW teams faced him in the first half, and had film on him from those games and other games.... and yet nobody could seem to come up with a plan to stop him the second time around.. why? because you can't... you may stop a play here and a there, but you're not going to stop him all game... and you're not going to stop him next year either.. again i posted this here before, you guys seem to think the key to shutting him down is forcing him to play in the pocket.. but his numbers are actually better in the pocket than they are outside.. that game plan has been tried and failed on more than one occasion....

i'm not trying to be cocky here, but let's be real.. he's the real deal, just like Kap.. you can game plan all you want, they both just have too many ways to beat you.. your best bet is to shut down the surrounding players instead..
[ Edited by hawker84 on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM ]
Hawker, do you have a link or some stats on your assertion that Wilson's numbers are better from the pocket than outside the pocket, or is that just your opinion? Because having watched him play, I'm skeptical. My sense is that most of the plays he made against the Niners were not in the pocket.
espn.go.com/.../_/id/90564/podcast-catching-up-with-russell-wilson
espn.go.com/.../_/id/70192/a-couple-qb-stats-to-keep-in-pocket-or-out

here's one.. not hard to find.. just google/bing russel wilsons stats..
[ Edited by hawker84 on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]
well for what ever reason it won't go to link, but there are several links that have his inside/outside the pocket stats for 2011..
Originally posted by hawker84:
espn.go.com/.../_/id/90564/podcast-catching-up-with-russell-wilson

here's one.. not hard to find.. just google/bing russel wilsons stats..

For some reason, that link doesn't go anywhere for me. Of course, you can find Russell Wilson stats, but I can't find anything that compares his numbers inside and outside the pocket. Again, what exactly makes you think his numbers are better in the pocket. I'm intrigued.
becasue they are... here are the numbers according to NFL Nation Blog: weeks 1-18

down- In -out

comp -198- 69

att -305- 114

pct- 64.9 -60.5

yrds- 2,449- 856

yrd/att- 8.0- 7.5

td/int- 22/8- 5/2

nfl rating -102.8 -91.1

pass FD- 117- 51

sacked -27- 10

total QBR -72.1 -64.9

sorry little messy, there are more stats but you get the picture.. most of his td runs came on scrambles as well as rushing yrds, not on designed runs.

all but two of his rushing first downs came on scrambles as well... his numbers were clearly better in the pocket than outside the pocket last season..
[ Edited by hawker84 on Feb 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
Try the Ram Restaurant in Tacoma. Enough big screens for every game, good food and lots of fans for other NFL teams rather than mobbed with just hawk fans. The stadium is a different story. Loudest fans you will ever hear at a game, which I respect but way too many stupid drunks. My friend worked security there and said fans get ejected as fast as the state patrol and security can get their hands on them. I stopped wearing colors after the first time I attended.
@hawker84

Okay, numbers are numbers. I'm not sure why I so skeptical. Maybe it's because in the entire 50 years I've been watching the NFL, I've seen only a few QB's at six feet and under who were consistently successful and in the last 20 years, the only one I've seen is Brees. There was Archie Manning, Fran Tarkenton and lately, Drew Brees who is the tallest of the three at 6'0". There's no question that Wilson is real good. I'm just going to have to see him do it again before I'm a true believer.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
You are a pilgrim in a heathen land. I 've been working in that area for 8 years and they are rabid up there about their Seahawks. Check out NinersNation.com and they have a thread from fans about places to watch the games. I don't know if they have ideas in Seattle.
???

Originally posted by spoiledNconfused:
Hello all--

Just moved to Seattle, and was wondering if there are any 'Niner bars' in this city? Probs a longshot, I know.

Thanks-

When the season starts hit me up. I'm in the same boat. But check out Buckley's in Lower Queen Anne (not the one in Belltown). Not exactly a niner bar, but niner friendly, and has a few niner fans around.
Originally posted by spoiledNconfused:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
My prayers go out to you and your family. Being in Seattle must be hell.

Fixed.

Actually, Seattle is pretty great. Beautiful country up here. Pretty much surrounded by mountains and water.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Your best bet is to go to the bigger sports bars in town, where other people from out of town may congregate. There are three places to try:

World Sports Grille at South Lake Union - used to be called Jillian's
The Ram Restaurant and Brewery at the University Village or Northgate Mall
Buckley's on 1st Ave in Queen Anne - It's the better of the two Buckley's and not in downtown.

Good luck! Go Niners!
fixed
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Because next year you will play a tougher schedule then this year because you made the playoffs. That's the main reason why i think he could slump.

Thats a reason why we fell to 11 wins from 13. You have to play harder teams when you have success.

that's an argument as to why the team may struggle to win more games.. i don't see how that's an argument as to why Wilson will struggle.. we're not playing anyone tougher next season than we played this season... keep in mind.. wilson didn't struggle on the road as much as our defense did, especially in the 2nd half..

Wilson is part of the team right?

Facing better opponents means he will face better defenses. And as the leader of the offense, Wilson may have a tougher time this year.

Its pretty simple dude..
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@hawker84

Okay, numbers are numbers. I'm not sure why I so skeptical. Maybe it's because in the entire 50 years I've been watching the NFL, I've seen only a few QB's at six feet and under who were consistently successful and in the last 20 years, the only one I've seen is Brees. There was Archie Manning, Fran Tarkenton and lately, Drew Brees who is the tallest of the three at 6'0". There's no question that Wilson is real good. I'm just going to have to see him do it again before I'm a true believer.
My thoughts exactly. Flutie comes to mind in overcoming height.

I suspect you believe, that Wilson, despite his success, will have a tougher bout this year. Teams will try to keep him more in the pocket, where it is harder for a player his size to see down-field. When we had Troy Smith, it was so apparent he had to look around the trees and wasn't looking over.

RG III, Wilson and our own Kap will be analyzed and picked apart. Teams were more successful stopping Cam Newton last year, than in his rookie season. The problem is, conventional wisdom is you keep the running QBs in the pocket. But Kap feels pretty comfy there and that doesn't help your D much. I don't know if Wilson and even RG III will be that successful throwing most the time from the pocket, if defenses can bottle then up.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone