LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DanSkutaHOF:
I keep hearing how great Dorsey is, but I keep seeing RBs running straight up the gut on us. I don't remember that happening at all last year and especially in 2011. Soap and RJF seemed better to me.

Its hard to take your comment seriously when you say Dorsey leaves then middle open and then say Sopo was better. The last half of the season Sopo couldn't clog up the middle against a single block.

Dorsey has been excellent in every facet. He gets push that alters the RBs run. He can rip off the block to cover the backside, and is great at holding his ground on the double team. Not to mention he offers some form of pass rush, and can play in the nickel. Plus hes super cheap.
Cheaper + better = winning
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by niners94:
No, Ian was just better. But I'm glad Glenn is doing a great job.

This was a starter spot I paid close attention during preseason games. I found Williams UDFA status just as intriguing as Dorseys top 5. Despite what TC reports said when preseason games started Williams was not the go ahead favorite. In fact Dorsey and Williams both had their limitations. Williams was in great shape, and was very stout in the middle, but his movement, pass rushing moves, and quickness were average. Dorsey was out of shape and he appeared very slow to react to new developments. Dorsey showed glimpses of an incredibly powerful base, explosive hands, great technique, and just all around good fundamentals for the DT/NT position. I don't disagree with Williams as the starter but Dorsey has delivered and I feel with Dorsey we got a player with more ability therefore a higher ceiling.

Do we extend Dorsey?

Oh yes. Given half a chance. Another great signing.
Jim Tomsula nuff said.....
Dorsey's performance is on an upward trajectory. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his game up to the level that Ahmad Brooks is at right now.
you see it time and time again when a former top 5 pick who fails goes to another team with strong structure and shows he is worth playing in the league. maybe never reach the dominant status some predicted but thats not what the 49ers acquired him for.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Dorsey's performance is on an upward trajectory. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his game up to the level that Ahmad Brooks is at right now.

hell yea
Originally posted by crabman82:
you see it time and time again when a former top 5 pick who fails goes to another team with strong structure and shows he is worth playing in the league. maybe never reach the dominant status some predicted but thats not what the 49ers acquired him for.

See I wonder if he could reach his past dominance. Im not just talking off the cuff because realistically he's not a man amongst boys the way he was in college. Physically he's explosive in his upper body and his lower body is stout. He plays with great balance. From a technique standpoint he has great hands and he plays with great leverage. He also has 3 pass rush moves which is good for man his size. So Dorsey has all this ability and he comes here. Best dline coach in the league. Great teammates. Great environment. Hes getting.eased into system that doesn't pressure him to rush. This team has rehabilitated tons of 1st rounders who not Dorsey? Could you imagine finally having a NT that can.create pressure? Dorsey has 2 sacks and 29 tackles which is great for hos position. This is only his 1st year too. Hes far from a finished product. We all know it's the 3rd-4th year that we see new players function fully in this defense.Hes only signed for 2 years tho. I was thinking about it and with Williams extension and drafting Dial, dorsey is going to have to be a bargain. I hope he makes the smart.move and stick with us for around 3mil.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:

If Dorsey plays to the level Ahmad Brooks is on, we will have a defense for the ages. One that will be remembered and talked about with the all time greats. Justin Smith, while not as dominant as he was in 2011, is still a great player. We have 4 amazing linebackers, and some pretty solid backups as well. Our secondary is playing well. Having a dominant NT would push this team over the top.
Dorsey had himself a grown man game today. I think we found our NT, resign this dude.

Originally posted by KegBert:
Dorsey had himself a grown man game today. I think we found our NT, resign this dude.

I think we have him through the 2014 season, unless you'd like an extension on top of that.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I think we have him through the 2014 season, unless you'd like an extension on top of that.

I said this a few weeks back, and got a resounding chorus of boo's ?? WTF!!, I agree with ya, no need to draft a NT. He and Williams have it locked up.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Didn't know that but it's good to hear. I'm all for extending him though, he has really solidified the inside of our defensive line.
My favorite FA signing this off season, other than, you know, the Boldin trade. On thing that is a constant for this team is that Tomsula will work his magic with the line. Great game today by Dorsey.
He hasn't even peaked yet. I hope he lights it up in the playoffs.

Now that we have a rotation, Ian can switch up w/Glenn and stay fresh for long haul.
Share 49ersWebzone