There are 239 users in the forums

Suggestion: Convert James into a Harvin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Lol sounds like you didn't watch him in college or at all this year.

Or you have never watched Harvin.
hard to watch somebody who doesn't play half of the time
We need to keep him involved in the offense somehow. Gore and Hunter figure to be the featured runners when healthy. I haven't seen James much as a pass-catcher, but I'd love to see us add new wrinkles to the offense where we split him out wide or toss a few screens his way. He needs the ball.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
james is a p***y? a dude that small who constantly went between the tackles and through the heart of the defense is not a p***y

I didn't mean it like that but ok.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Problem: If Hunter is back healthy, the Niners have a glut at RB.
Problem: The Niners are missing a playmaker on the outside after Crabtree.
Potential Solution: Transition LaMichel James into a Percy Harvin type role.

James has good hands. While slightly shorter than Harvin, he is heavier/stronger but similarly quick/shifty. While the nienrs might love to have Percy here, his mental state and contract demands make it tricky. Knowing the success the niners have had in converting players under Harbaugh (Miller, Aldon, Culliver), why not move James into the WR position half-time and see if you can create a weapon? Having him and Hunter both on the bench while Gore is in there is a waste of talent, and I can't see any way that James couldn't outperform Chad Hall, AJ Jenkins, Ted Ginn, etc at WR.

If he spend minicamp/training camp working in at slot receiver, I think he could be an extremely versatile weapon that Roman/Harbaugh could exploit. Hitches, screens, end-arounds, reverses, wildcat-style formations with Kaep, double-move routes...lots of tricky possibilities.

Thoughts?

I agree completely.
James should definitely be in the slot for a lot of snaps.
F*** Percy Harvin, I think James could be better than him.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
how good are James' hands? They'd have to be much better than most RBs...and yes I understand he returns balls...it's not the same.

He had 51 receptions and almost 600 receiving yards in college.
LaMichael James is a Jim Harbaugh deal. That's why he was a second round pick. Harbaugh saw him up close throughout his college career and he knows what kind of a player he is. He's a Harbaugh deal, just like Kaepernick is a Harbaugh deal. Enough said. I trust Harbaugh's instincts and judgement on ballers.
Not the same kind of player.
Not even close Harvin is a beast
James has the potential to be a wild card in the offense for sure, like a Darren Sproles. I'm surprised that Roman does not use the RB as a receiver more often, as Gore has been one of the best receiving RBs over his career. I see the potential for all 3 backs to be moved around and create matchup problems. I also want to see Miller more involved in the passing game, he's got some good hands too. If Roman starts adding some split back formations out of the pistol, then we might really see an offense.
Watching James at Oregon he ran inside with success. His toughness and dedication is not in question. Can he play the slot? After watching the games this past season no player showed the multi faceted game of Harvin. His skill set was made for this offense. His presence would would make the offense unstoppable.

For the old school WZers, remember when we sucked and all the talk was either moving Vernon to WR, or any number of offensive players to the defense and vice versa? lol
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
For the old school WZers, remember when we sucked and all the talk was either moving Vernon to WR, or any number of offensive players to the defense and vice versa? lol

Manny Lawson to safety!!
I like the idea of utilizing James all over the field period. Line him up all over the place, turn him into a true matchup nightmare, give defensive coordinator's a hell of a migraine trying to slow him down. Let him be one of this team's deep threats, making the defense worry about him getting behind everyone.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
James has the potential to be a wild card in the offense for sure, like a Darren Sproles. I'm surprised that Roman does not use the RB as a receiver more often, as Gore has been one of the best receiving RBs over his career. I see the potential for all 3 backs to be moved around and create matchup problems. I also want to see Miller more involved in the passing game, he's got some good hands too. If Roman starts adding some split back formations out of the pistol, then we might really see an offense.

This. If anything, James will be a stronger version of Sproles. LMJ is going to be our key weapon that makes defense's heads spin. Dude can score from anywhere on the field. What is even better...?

So can Kaep.

This is why I think LMJ is a better fit for us now than Gore. Teams are willing to possibly give up a ten yard run by Gore because they are not afraid of him breaking a 70 yard run. This is why they will always have a player committed to Kaep. BUT, if LMJ hits a defense with an 80 yard TD off of that zone read...well...teams will be scared.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Lol sounds like you didn't watch him in college or at all this year.

Watched James enough to see him slow down before getting hit all the time. James is like a weaker version of Sproles.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone