LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Should we go all in next season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we go all in next season?

Umm No! Going all out on FA's never works anymore. Look at The redskins, they do it every year and fall flat on their face. The Dallas Cowboys and the Lakers this year. Chemistry and heart is what wins big games!
If the season re-started today with the exact same rosters as last year we still have the best team on paper, they only need to tweak to stay at that level. Killing the cap for Revis and signing a pretty old Welker who would just take passes away from Crabtree would be terrible moves in my opinion. We need some d-line help to give them some rest so the pass rush stays strong all game every game. This will bolster the secondary right there. I would be fine if they draft all defensive players other than maybe a couple O-linemen for depth if Goodwin gets too old or someone gets injured. I don't follow NCAA to know the players available but I would basically go Dline/CB/Dline/CB right through the draft and hope that at least two of them are really good.
We should go all in, in the draft and re sign our own key players. As far a free agents I like James Casey, Conner Barwin, and maybe Sammie Hill. I don't like Welker at all we can draft players better than him for less money.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
The imho the fo and staff arent looking for one year wonder type of deal they're trying to build a model that will yield sustainable success for multiple seasons

This. We don't need to go "all in". We just need to add some depth and some talent to push the starters/compete for their jobs. This team is loaded and looking for a dynasty that's sustainable financially... not a one and done.

• Get a new kicker
  • Add a talented WR since Moss is a likely cut and Manningham is fragile (are you listening Dwayne Bowe?)
  • Stock up on d-line
  • Get secondary talent to push the starters
  • OLB depth
  • O-line depth
For an example on why going "all in" isn't the answer, see Eagles, Philadelphia.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
This. We don't need to go "all in". We just need to add some depth and some talent to push the starters/compete for their jobs. This team is loaded and looking for a dynasty that's sustainable financially... not a one and done.

• Get a new kicker
  • Add a talented WR since Moss is a likely cut and Manningham is fragile (are you listening Dwayne Bowe?)
  • Stock up on d-line
  • Get secondary talent to push the starters
  • OLB depth
  • O-line depth

Thank-you, I thought Bowe would be a perfect compliment to what we have already as well..
No, let's blow up the team, fire Harbaugh and start over! Dude, look at our cap numbers, we are all in!

Revis, don't need him
Welker, dumb assed move, don't want him, Mario will be back, KW will be back so don't sweat it.
Best d-linmen in the draft...if we have to trade all 15 picks and Alex to get a couple, you bet!

We need, depth at Wr, Depth at RB, and some fresh blood on the D-line, we don't have to go all in on some new plan, we just need to reload!

Go NINERS!
yeah, and let's go get a f**king Kicker!
No way. Has there ever been a team (since the beginning of the salary cap) that has gone that route and actually won a superbowl? The teams that do that (Eagles, Redskins, Raiders, etc) are never any good.

Football is a team sport. There is no one or two high profile free-agent players worth getting that will guarantee us a superbowl win. And then if we fail to get it, we are left with large contracts and an inability to keep our young talent that this team is built on.

I am highly confident that we will make the super-bowl again with this core group... but only if we can keep the core group together for the next 4-5 seasons:

Kaepernick, Crabtree, VD, Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone, Miller, Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Brooks, Goldson, Brown, MacDonald, and Andy Lee.

Thats it! 16 young guys. If we keep this group together we will be in the superbowl again soon.
Originally posted by blm7754:
No way. Has there ever been a team (since the beginning of the salary cap) that has gone that route and actually won a superbowl? The teams that do that (Eagles, Redskins, Raiders, etc) are never any good.

Football is a team sport. There is no one or two high profile free-agent players worth getting that will guarantee us a superbowl win. And then if we fail to get it, we are left with large contracts and an inability to keep our young talent that this team is built on.

I am highly confident that we will make the super-bowl again with this core group... but only if we can keep the core group together for the next 4-5 seasons:

Kaepernick, Crabtree, VD, Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone, Miller, Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Brooks, Goldson, Brown, MacDonald, and Andy Lee.

Thats it! 16 young guys. If we keep this group together we will be in the superbowl again soon.

We did, we got Deion, and Norton, and a few other free agents, won a super bowl! Couldn't resign core players ended up in cap hell, and sucked for a decade! Was it worth it, would you do it again? I think we are on track to become a consistent power for the next 5-10 years, and win one or more titles, but we could go all in and maybe win one, but destroy the team trying...not worth it. Stay the course, let Harbaugh lead this team to a decade of success! "Let's walk down and f**k um all"

NO - not at all.

What happens if we go "all-in" and lose? We're screwed!
Baalke/JH wil do the BEST thing and keep us in the mix for the SB every year.
we need to draft Leon Sandcastle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The last time we went all in , we won the SB
We have 17 of 22 starters signed through 2013 AND we have many, many players coming back from injury including some rookies (or rookies not playing, period).

That said, signing 1 or 2 blockbuster moves to LT contracts is and should be considered esp. given our cap situation and phenomenal financial salary cap team. Next year is when we need to pay CK and maybe a couple more big ones. Heck, we could have signed Manning last year. You can make it work.

That said, we are in position with 14 draft picks, draft-bait in Alex, etc. to really do some damage in the FA market/draft.

AND, we are now THE team FA's are going to want to sign with...for lesser money; for the realistic shot to play in a Superbowl and don't forget the new stadium as well. "First class" still speaks to players today.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
No need to do that...you can find difference makers without breaking the bank. Let me explain...first, it's no secret we need to beef up our DL. Sopoaga will likely not be back, and that's ok. When Justin SMith got hurt, none of our guys on the DL stepped up their games to pick up the slack. Why? We didn't have good enough veteran depth. Enter Randy Starks...big body who can play anywhere on the DL and well, too. We still draft a couple of bad-asses, but you can't count on most rookies to make an impact their first year. Next, you sign Sean Smith...big CB (6-3, 215), who at 25 is just entering his prime and matches up well against the bigger WR's we face every Sunday. Thirdly, you trade or somehow get rid of Whitner...he was downright awful this past season. Sign Glover Quin to take his place. He's a former CB with good cover skills and is a sure tackler. Another guy just entering his prime. As for the WR position, not sure there's that much realistic help in FA. Jennings is a possibility, but only if he's willing to be realistic about his salary demands. He'll be 30 just after the season starts, not exactly a spring chicken as a WR. Guys like Welker, Bowe, et al will command top salaries, and that's not something we can do right now.
Share 49ersWebzone