LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Disp:
He's not worth crap in a trade. We just drafted the top running back in the draft a couple picks away from the 3rd round. He's far more valuable to the team than he would fetch in a trade.

It's amazing how devalued the rb position has become. I think hubter is pretty underrated by us though, I'm always excited to see him get carries because he's got enough pop to take one the distance.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Agree with everything you wrote. Something I just looked up to add on - Gore had 6 games in the regular season with a 20+ yard rush (splash play). Hunter had 4 games with a 20+ yarder and he did it while averaging just 4 1/2 carries a game.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
How about Hunter is a different kind of runner, a slasher, not a gasher like frank. Frank, for all his gashing, however, is shiftier than a gambler with an 8 ACEs deck of cards. Incongruous really, to be so quick thru little teeny holes, yet a guy who bowls guys over. Hunter is more the slasher, seems a tad quicker, but does not hit the tiny holes like frank does. If Frank weren't here, kendall would be our starter. His biggest problem? Frank.

Agree. Would like to see him get more carries this year
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hunt down defensive backs
I've never been excited about hunter. Hunter has always seemed very average to me. I'm looking forward to lattimore and hyde.
This thread is rubbish. Hunter could start for a good 3rd of the teams in the league. Probably more depending on their QB's status. He's not a AP feature back but certainly good enough. Better than Moreno IMO. Would be a great option for someone like Peyton.
Originally posted by fister30:
I've never been excited about hunter. Hunter has always seemed very average to me. I'm looking forward to lattimore and hyde.

Well "average" is actually really good when he's getting below average carries. 4.5 carries a game and he still rips 20 yarders..

I've always loved this guy and think that he'd shock a lot of people if he were given 20+ carries in a game.
He's rocking a 4.6 YPC average after 262 attempts the last three seasons. That's outstanding. I knew literally nothing about Hunter when we drafted him, but I've come to like him quite a bit.
Doubt they brought in all these backs if they weren't sure Kendall isn't a starter. Not saying he isn't a good player, just not strong enough between the tackles or to fight for extra yards. His stats suggest he could put up big numbers if given more carries, but those numbers could be inflated due to them being situational carries. He doesn't fit our power running game either.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:01 AM ]
He's a great #2 for the 49ers. Hyde and Lattimore are the future. LMJ is gone by the end of camp.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Doubt they brought in all these backs if they weren't sure Kendall isn't a starter. Not saying he isn't a good player, just not strong enough between the tackles or to fight for extra yards. His stats suggest he could put up big numbers if given more carries, but those numbers could be inflated due to them being situational carries. He doesn't fit our power running game either.

I see Kendall as another change of pace back like LMJ but with more inside running ability. He's a good back along the lines of Rice in Baltimore, and while he isn't a power runner like Frank, he has good vision and more speed than Frank. He fits in this system because he has good vision and has good production in between the tackles. He's no Frank Gore though. Hyde and Lattimore really were drafted due to Frank's age and not because they didn't like Kendall. I think the strategy there was draft two good young backs to keep that position strong and deep because it's such an important part of the offense.
I still see a good role for Hunter. He is different than the others. He is a good runner, understands passing and has good hands. Shifty and quick. Like LMJ but can actually produce without the fumbles and woe is me attitude. Last year of his deal. We have good RB depth, but would like to deal LMJ and keep him.
Kendall is a very versatile RB ...he has the skills to mesh with different schemes , a spread offense with an emphasis on speed ,or a power rushing offense (like ours) ..you name it, despite his small stature , he brings a lot to the table
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by AUniner:
This thread is rubbish. Hunter could start for a good 3rd of the teams in the league. Probably more depending on their QB's status. He's not a AP feature back but certainly good enough. Better than Moreno IMO. Would be a great option for someone like Peyton.

In a Chip Kelly or Andy Reid offense, Hunter would be all-world. He's just as fast as McCoy and Charles.

He isn't as fast as Charles not even close. Charles ran a 4.38 at the combine and Hunter ran a 4.5
I think the real test will be to see if we can find someone to take over return duties from LMJ to make him expendable. This is Gore's last season under contract and I'm not sure where they go from there with Gore. Do we sign him to 1 yr deals? Would love to see him retire a Niner. Hunter will and always been the change of pace back for this team and that shouldn't change. 2015 could be Lattimore/Hyde and Hunter and I'd be fine with that
Share 49ersWebzone