LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
remember the little dump off to gore in the playoffs!! there are alot of things we did not see much last year we will see this year

I just rewatched the GB game last night and that dump off to Gore was such a nice touch throw.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Awesome! I love the 70's style highlight music! Can't wait to see Hunter back at full speed!

I will kinda miss Alex's ability to dump it off, if I have a knock on Kaep, it's that he never looks to dump it off. While Alex always seemed to be looking to dump it off.
remember the little dump off to gore in the playoffs!! there are alot of things we did not see much last year we will see this year

I'm not saying it doesn't happen with Kaep, I'm just saying it's not his strong suit. Don't get me wrong, I would trade a boatload of Alex Smiths for one Kaep!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I'm not saying it doesn't happen with Kaep, I'm just saying it's not his strong suit. Don't get me wrong, I would trade a boatload of Alex Smiths for one Kaep!

i know what you mean, I was just saying we may see alot of stuff , like dump off pass plays to our good running backs this year we did not see last year
I was ecstatic when we picked LMJ as a "situational" pick. I thot for sure we would use him like Saints used to use Reggie Bush. Dump offs in the backfield and then let the D try and tackle him. I still think that is how LMJ should be used, plus being in the slot at times. That obviously didn't happen. As for hunter, I love his running, both between tackles and he can bust it wide. He is more of a slasher runner, but can grind it too. He is the perfect back to give Frank a blow, and doesn't really change the running style that much. I have wondered what the D would do if we came out with frank on one side and Hunter on the other. It would certainly make them uncertain as to who was getting the ball. But, we need more WRs these days so that won't happen. Frank is still the man, but i don't think we lose much if anything if hunter is in. I love our RB situation. We basically are 3 deep at starters at RB, but LMJ can add so much more elsewhere.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM ]
RB by committee... 50/30/20 Gore/Hunter/James in 2013.

40/30/30 Hunter/Lattimore/James in 2014. Trade Hunter at end of year.

50/30/20 Lattimore/James/Rookie in 2015.

Really think that committee will be the way to go. I think in the future we will rarely extend running backs. Will either trade or release at the end of their rookie deals and constantly phase in rookies to keep committee revolving with cheap parts.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I don't think Hunter is a long term answer. The best potential back on the team is Lattimore, and he probably won't even see the field this season. Long term I think it's Lattimore that's the #1 back that will take the torch from Gore.
Man Hunter is exciting to watch. I really hate to ponder a future without Frank Gore...I cringe at the thought, but I really do believe in Kendall as the next one.

I just love how low key and hard working he is. On the field he reminds me of a smaller Garrison Hearst, even talks like him.

With him, LMJ continuing to grow as that "flex" back, and Lattimore on the horizon, man are we set at RB or what.

Bobbie Dix too. Bobbie Dix forever!
So i was thinking about this recently and I feel bad for hunter. I think if you put on his tape you see a very capable NFL back but the NIners keep on bringing in backs that are supposed to be very good to great and he has to compete with them after already prvong himself as a reliable back. I myself have gotten greatly excited about the shiny new prospects of Lattimore and Hyde and their potential and in that I have forgotten just how effective Hunter has been so i want to possit this question to you:

What would hunter have to do in order to get an extension and be considered the back in line to take over for Frank after this season and if he does this would we consider that a good thing or would most of us feel that it means Lattimore and Hyde are busts?

I have a feeling that even if Hunter plays really well and wins the job that there would be some negative sentiment amougnst Niner fans about the Hyde and Lattimore picks even if it didnt mean they played poorly but just that Hunter is showing himself to be of equal or greater skill. What do you think?
[ Edited by ninerfan1984 on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by islavistan:

Really think that committee will be the way to go. I think in the future we will rarely extend running backs. Will either trade or release at the end of their rookie deals and constantly phase in rookies to keep committee revolving with cheap parts.

So, no chance for Carlos Hyde? Do you think he'll make the opening day roster? Can we at least get a 7th rounder for him before he gets cut?

J/k

Seriously - we are so stacked at RB that it's easy to lose somebody in the shuffle.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by islavistan:

So, no chance for Carlos Hyde? Do you think he'll make the opening day roster? Can we at least get a 7th rounder for him before he gets cut?

J/k

Seriously - we are so stacked at RB that it's easy to lose somebody in the shuffle.

pretty sure he posted that before we drafted Hyde

Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
So i was thinking about this recently and I feel bad for hunter. I think if you put on his tape you see a very capable NFL back but the NIners keep on bringing in backs that are supposed to be very good to great and he has to compete with them after already prvong himself as a reliable back. I myself have gotten greatly excited about the shiny new prospects of Lattimore and Hyde and their potential and in that I have forgotten just how effective Hunter has been so i want to possit this question to you:

What would hunter have to do in order to get an extension and be considered the back in line to take over for Frank after this season and if he does this would we consider that a good thing or would most of us feel that it means Lattimore and Hyde are busts?

I have a feeling that even if Hunter plays really well and wins the job that there would be some negative sentiment amougnst Niner fans about the Hyde and Lattimore picks even if it didnt mean they played poorly but just that Hunter is showing himself to be of equal or greater skill. What do you think?

If you include experience within what you mean by "skill", then I agree. I think Hunter's biggest advantage is experience playing in the NFL and in particular, experience in this team's offensive system. I expect at the beginning of the season that Gore will still be the bell cow and excellent in pass protection like he has been in like forever and Hunter will be playing pretty much the back-up role he has. I think Hyde will take some of the snaps early on that would have gone to Gore or Hunter and then if he is relatively successful that he will get more snaps (taking more from Hunter than Gore) - especially in short yardage situations. Lattimore will get a sprinkling of carries at the beginning of the year (assuming all goes okay during the pre-season for him) and if he is successful then he, too, will get more snaps as the season progresses. I think by the end of the season that the coaches will try to have Gore get just enough snaps to keep him sharp but not beat up. Of course, injuries could change the picture quite a bit.

Unfortunately for Hunter, by the end of the year he could very well end up the odd man out. Hopefully he will be able to show his stuff enough to be able to get an offer from another team where he will get a good amount of playing time. He's a good enough back that there probably is such a place for him in the NFL. I wouldn't be shocked if some time during the year that if both Lattimore and Hyde are looking good, that the 9ers might swing a trade of Hunter for a draft choice with some team that is great need of a good solid back like Hunter. However it happens, like I said, I hope Hunter gets a shot with another team - he deserves it.
Hunter is a very solid RB. I would not be surprised if he asks for more money than we will pay him after this year, to see what the open market holds. I could see a team valuing him as a starter.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Hunter is a very solid RB. I would not be surprised if he asks for more money than we will pay him after this year, to see what the open market holds. I could see a team valuing him as a starter.

no one pays big money for RBs these days.
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

no one pays big money for RBs these days.

They pay even less for backups, thats why I think he tries to get as much as he can.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not know what Hunter's role will be in the future.

I do think that he is a good back, but much will depend on the work of Gore, Lattimore, and Hyde, and maybe James.
Share 49ersWebzone