LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Lol @ ppl who say LMJ will replace Hunter. Please remember that Lamichael didn't receive a single carry in the season until Kendall went down.

just playing devils advocate, but Kaep played very little until Alex went down. Sometimes an injury is what it takes to replace a good player.

I agree, and the same can be said for Tom Brady replacing Bledsoe. However in Kaep's case, we knew he was taking over sooner or later. He was getting more and more snaps as the year went on.

Kendall was supposed to be that player for us. He was our heir apparent to Frank Gore and James was our heir apparent to Hunter.

We absolutely did not know that. At the time, Alex was a top 5-10 QB, and we were talking about extending him again.
We absolutely did not know that. At the time, Alex was a top 5-10 QB, and we were talking about extending him again.

I knew.

Kaepernick was electric. I watched him in college. I knew it was going to happen.

My boss and I were having discussions aboubt Kaep being the heir apparent after the Jets game.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Barlow

Kevan Barlow was 7 inches taller and 34 pounds heavier
Lol @ ppl who say LMJ will replace Hunter. Please remember that Lamichael didn't receive a single carry in the season until Kendall went down.

just playing devils advocate, but Kaep played very little until Alex went down. Sometimes an injury is what it takes to replace a good player.

but you can use 2 RB's at the same time easily.....not the same with QB's

I will admit I was hard on LMJ because he wasn't on the field and he did surprise me....but Hunter is more of an every down back.
Originally posted by susweel:
nope not a number 1 back. he lacks the balance and gets knocked off his feet easily. good change of pace back though

Classic susweel.

• Ether
  • Veteran

I agree, and the same can be said for Tom Brady replacing Bledsoe. However in Kaep's case, we knew he was taking over sooner or later. He was getting more and more snaps as the year went on.

Kendall was supposed to be that player for us. He was our heir apparent to Frank Gore and James was our heir apparent to Hunter.

Jim Harbaugh knew the second he traded up for Colin Kaepernick, and Trent Baalke knew the second he signed Alex Smith to a 3 year deal in which you can cut ties after 1. Many Niners fans didn't necessarily want Kaepernick to take over because of the whole Cinderalla story that came with Smith and the 49ers, but from the actions of managements, Kaepernick taking the reigns was as inevitable as Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana.

Jim Harbaugh knew the second he traded up for Colin Kaepernick, and Trent Baalke knew the second he signed Alex Smith to a 3 year deal in which you can cut ties after 1. Many Niners fans didn't necessarily want Kaepernick to take over because of the whole Cinderalla story that came with Smith and the 49ers, but from the actions of managements, Kaepernick taking the reigns was as inevitable as Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana.

Pretty much. The writing was on the wall for Kap to take over sooner rather than later. Most figured it would come during this off season, not mid year but Alex's injury sped things up.
Originally posted by redrathman:
nope not a number 1 back. he lacks the balance and gets knocked off his feet easily. good change of pace back though

Classic susweel.

Damn, all Hunter did was break tackles and move the chains in that video lol
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

This true..

He is NOT a Barlow type runner..mannn..

Dixon is a Barlow type. Big back afraid to take a hit, dances in the backfield
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Classic susweel.

Looks like MJD with a tad bit o Barry

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Personally I'm delighted our RB stable is Gore, Hunter, LMJ and eventually Marcus.

Hunter will still see the ball and have a role when Gore retires, though I anticipate Lattmore will fill Gore's role assuming he comes back healthy.
When Frank is done, I see us going more and more to running back by committee. Hunter will be just another situational option for coach. If he is fully healed he will be the first man off the bench after Frank.
Originally posted by SD49ers:

Classic susweel.

Looks like MJD with a tad bit o Barry

Awesome! I love the 70's style highlight music! Can't wait to see Hunter back at full speed!

I will kinda miss Alex's ability to dump it off, if I have a knock on Kaep, it's that he never looks to dump it off. While Alex always seemed to be looking to dump it off.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SD49ers:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

This true..

He is NOT a Barlow type runner..mannn..

Dixon is a Barlow type. Big back afraid to take a hit, dances in the backfield
dixon used to be like barlow,, dixon really upped his game after the jacobs thing went south. even he would have scored on second and goal from the five. NO one on our team is like that barlow jackapple
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Awesome! I love the 70's style highlight music! Can't wait to see Hunter back at full speed!

I will kinda miss Alex's ability to dump it off, if I have a knock on Kaep, it's that he never looks to dump it off. While Alex always seemed to be looking to dump it off.
remember the little dump off to gore in the playoffs!! there are alot of things we did not see much last year we will see this year
Share 49ersWebzone