LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 351 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Depends how he health he is that was a ugly injury but should be the future starter with LMJ looking good it will be a running back by commitee team, that's how jim ran it in college, i expect after gore hangs them up that's the kind of running back group we will have. Hunter and James, and a brusier for short yards, I'm still not sold on dixon but kids got heart for sure.
Depends on how his rehab goes and to what level he returns; that being said I still have my doubts. I think we need to draft a back with power and speed and good to great hands to take Gore's place.
If we could get either one of um to gain half of Gore's vision we will be set, we need a guy who can see the holes other wise... we are losing our up the gut wham attack when Gore gets to old, we need to try to find a powerback... something of a miracle the way the college trends are going
LMJ and Hunter will fight for the starting Job once Frank the Tank calls it a career ....it's a nice problem to have , 3 quality RB's is a great luxury
Well, yes and no.

Yes, I think Kendall will be our #1 RB when Gore hangs them up. However, without Gore I don't think we will have a traditional "workhorse #1 back". That is kind of a luxury in today's NFL. Kendall and LMJ will share the load, and we will probably look for a good young power back to add to the mix (not sure Dixon is exactly what we want).

I doubt we will be able to find a true replacement for Gore without using a 1st round pick. And I don't see the team making that kind of investment unless we start to struggle to run the ball. And as long as we have Kapernick, a massive OL, and a stable of quick young RBs I don't see that being an issue.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by susweel:
nope not a number 1 back. he lacks the balance and gets knocked off his feet easily. good change of pace back though

This true..

He is NOT a Barlow type runner..mannn..

when has he not shown power during his runs? he always falls forward and moves the pile.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by susweel:
nope not a number 1 back. he lacks the balance and gets knocked off his feet easily. good change of pace back though

This true..

He is NOT a Barlow type runner..mannn..

when has he not shown power during his runs? he always falls forward and moves the pile.

This. I don't recall seeing him have balance issues or getting knocked off his feet easily. Quite the opposite actually.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he is the mos valuable player on this offense that no one talks about in my opinion and the four headed monster of ck, gore, dixon and james behind that line,,, if the coaches know how to use it,, should make us all feel very excited for years to come
Not only can he play out of the Q but he's epic at pitch-outs. Take note CK...might want to work on the pitch/toss now!
His work ethic is unquestionable and his performance was missed.

I hope he heals well and gets back to his capabilities.

Any status reports?

I remember Gore saying that the read option would let him play longer than expected b/c he doesn't take as much as a beating in it. He said this around or right before playoff time when he also said initially he was skeptical about running from the pistol formation.

Anyways, don't we also have Jewel Hampton? I wonder how he is developing. Word on WZ was that he could be an every down/Gore type back.
  • thl408
After seeing this season unfold, I feel like any capable RB can line up in this backfield and have success. Not to take away too much from Gore/KH/LMJ, but that O-line is the true key to the 49ers rushing attack. I think a combo of KH/LMJ can handle the duties for the next 5-6 years with KH getting about 60-70% of the carries. Add in a short yardage guy.
Him and LMJ will split carries and dominate
  • gotem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Barlow

lets hope not
We have a very good problem with this three headed rushing attack of Gore, Hunter, and James. Kendall Hunter seems to be the forgotten man in this offense and I look forward to him reintroducing himself in 2013.
Share 49ersWebzone