LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 418 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
He won't be pricey for good reason...in that situation, he'd be a guy that never carried more than 15% of the load at running back, would have only played 2 of 4 full seasons (one being his rookie year and the other being a forgettable 2013 in which he wasn't fully recovered). Now add a torn achilles, and (if the worst was to be confirmed) a shredded knee, why would we want him?

Even at a bargain deal it wouldn't be a smart move. The 49ers can't just keep playing this injury game and expecting to win out...especially because they haven't been: Lattimore is a big question mark, we have to see what we have in Carradine (who I'm confident in, but still). Hunter will be gone if the knee is bad. The Niners can't afford to play doctor and hope this guys all return to form...some will, some won't.

The hope right now is that it's a minor tweak, Hunter could be a very effective back if he can stay healthy and get incorporated into the game plan more. I've been waiting for him to break out ever since a very promising rookie year; unfortunately we just keep waiting. I have been hoping this is the year he takes that step. We'll see what the verdict holds.

Hunter had a very productive 2013...on limited carries! 4.6ypc is not a forgettable year. He had one bad injury thus far and that was from Vilma tackling him while rolling up his ankle from behind to tear his Achilles. That was bad luck. To Hunters credit he was a workout warrior and he rehabbed with a vengeance! He came back in short order as good as new and physically stronger. I expect nothing less from him and we should retain both he and Cully at great value
They way people are acting, it's like he is being read his last rights, lol.
Still no word on the severity or what the injury is. Kendall must be working through something LOL.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Disp:
If he blew out his knee they'd just put him on IR. Don't think there's any way to come back from that in the same season. Took Culliver nearly a full year to recover.

If it's a tear that's probably the last time we've seen KH get a carry for the Niners unfortunately.

If the worst case is confirmed, I wouldn't be shocked if we re-sign him next offseason. He won't be pricey and he's a trusted agent.

He won't be pricey for good reason...in that situation, he'd be a guy that never carried more than 15% of the load at running back, would have only played 2 of 4 full seasons (one being his rookie year and the other being a forgettable 2013 in which he wasn't fully recovered). Now add a torn achilles, and (if the worst was to be confirmed) a shredded knee, why would we want him?

Even at a bargain deal it wouldn't be a smart move. The 49ers can't just keep playing this injury game and expecting to win out...especially because they haven't been: Lattimore is a big question mark, we have to see what we have in Carradine (who I'm confident in, but still). Hunter will be gone if the knee is bad. The Niners can't afford to play doctor and hope this guys all return to form...some will, some won't.

The hope right now is that it's a minor tweak, Hunter could be a very effective back if he can stay healthy and get incorporated into the game plan more. I've been waiting for him to break out ever since a very promising rookie year; unfortunately we just keep waiting. I have been hoping this is the year he takes that step. We'll see what the verdict holds.

If this injury happened in December I would take your point, but it's the first week of camp. If the worst is confirmed Hunter will have plenty of time to get fixed up and rehabbed in time for TC in 2015 just like Culliver who was injured at about the same time last year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
My prediction is a torn ACL out for the season.
Originally posted by mayo49:
My prediction is a torn ACL out for the season.

:(
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

The #49ers fear that RB Kendall Hunter's knee injury is one that could be significant. Waiting on MRI results now after he landed awkwardly
So much for great depth. If Latt can't go, we really shot ourselves in the foot with that pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So much for great depth. If Latt can't go, we really shot ourselves in the foot with that pick.

Still have Gore, Hyde, and James. Kinda glad we didn't trade him now
I'm going to be optimistic and say pcl tear placed on pup
[ Edited by Shorteous on Jul 26, 2014 at 8:40 AM ]

If Hunter is out 4-6 weeks, I don't see that as fully negative. He doesn't need TC so much. Hyde, James and Lattimore do.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I'm going to be optimistic and say pcl tear placed on pup

I'll take it.
If Hunter is done I fully expect LaMichael James to take the #2 spot, especially with us adding screen passes to the playbook. Im hoping we will be able to spread teams thin with three receiver sets and run without a fullback on occasion to avoid tipping our hand when running screens.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
If Hunter is done I fully expect LaMichael James to take the #2 spot, especially with us adding screen passes to the playbook. Im hoping we will be able to spread teams thin with three receiver sets and run without a fullback on occasion to avoid tipping our hand when running screens.

LaMichael #2? No way, lol.
Couple things...

If Kendall is done for the year, that sucks...but it isn't huge.

Gore
Hyde
James
Lattimore

Even without Hunter, they'll have trouble getting all those guys carries. Even if Lattimore can't play, Gore, Hyde, and James ain't bad.

As for James possibly as the #2 back...anything can happen in camp, but I wouldn't put money on it. I think they are looking for a bigger, physical presence back there.
Share 49ersWebzone