Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I would be fine seeing what he could do with 20 carries a game. As for the bolded, yes they drafted a good RB in the 2'nd round. They also drafted an ILB in the 3'rd despite having the 2 best ILB's in the league.

uhhhhh ... one is completely out of commission

Yeah Bowman wrecked his knee! We don't know how long it will take for him to come back and play like the beast he is. So they grabbed the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year. Hunter isn't a 20 carries a game player and wouldn't last the whole season.

how do you know?

Yeah it baffles me hearing people say this like they know it as fact. He was an every down back in college and averaged more than 20 carries/game both college years when he was the bell cow from start to season end. Hunter is just as big as a lot of other starting backs in the league.

He was hurt in most of 2009 because he was the lead back

Gore blew out his knee twice in college as lead back. Not sure why any of that's relevant.

Hunter is a smaller RB and wouldn't you believe he would be more susceptible to being injured if he was given 20 touches a game and had to run between the tackles and not every RB is like Gore... I mean it's common sense, am I taking crazy here??

Smaller due to the 5'7"? Or the 200 lbs?
He is a compact RB, I don't know about smaller.
The big backs could be more susceptible to knee injuries... a larger target to hit, too.
Running style plays a part, too. Stature does also, but there are a lot of factors that could make any one player more or less susceptible to injury.
Sometimes though, it is just that crap happens.

Hunter has proven to play well with limited carries. Lattimore, a big back, had a horrific injury. Hyde is unproven at the NFL level.
LMJ has proven well enough in limited carries as well... whiny baby that he is.

Note: Barry Sanders was 5'8" 203 lbs. with a very elusive running style, but he did get tackled often enough, too.

Good news... That LB from the Seahawks is no longer on that team to twist Hunter's foot around.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
The big backs could be more susceptible to knee injuries... a larger target to hit, too.
Running style plays a part, too. Stature does also, but there are a lot of factors that could make any one player more or less susceptible to injury.

Hunter has proven to play well with limited carries. Lattimore, a big back, had a horrific injury. Hyde is unproven at the NFL level.

Note: Barry Sanders was 5'8" 203 lbs. with a very elusive running style, but he did get tackled often enough, too.

Good news... That LB from the Seahawks is no longer on that team to twist Hunter's foot around.

Totally agree, for all I know he could be the next Sanders and just hasn't had a chance yet. Just based on what TB/JH have done in past drafts, I feel they don't view Hunter as a "bell-cow" back. He is a FA after this year and not sure they resign him with all the other important FAs, but we wouldn't know until we see what Lat/Hyde can do.

Yeah that injury was horrible. You could see the Seattle wrenching on KHfoot after he was down. Hopefully with everyone gunning for the Superbowl champ seahawks they will get some injury karma .the list of seahawks injured niners over the last few years is too big to be accidental. IMO the Kyle Williams was the most ruthless and impactfull as kyles head was still not ready for football in the nfccc . ....
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Hunter got hurt vs. the Saints. Was there something else that happened against the s**thawks with him that I don't remember?
Gore swears by Hunter, says the kid is legit.
Hunter got hurt vs. the Saints. Was there something else that happened against the s**thawks with him that I don't remember?
Bounty hunter Vilma. He got KW and KH the same play!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 3, 2014 at 6:09 AM ]
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Gore swears by Hunter, says the kid is legit.
He is and he is all the way back now
Originally posted by CWin4949:

According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter was most effective running to the outside the tackles where he averaged over 6.0 yards per carry. On all other runs he managed a 3.61-yard average....sounds like a great change of pace running back.
According to Pro Football Focus, Hunter was most effective running to the outside the tackles where he averaged over 6.0 yards per carry. On all other runs he managed a 3.61-yard average....sounds like a great change of pace running back.

Good find. I thought Hunter was very good in between the tackles taking snaps from the Q-formation (shotgun)...and esp. good off tackle if he gets ANY room at all. He gets low and shows very good power as well (underrated here). He's also a very good at blitz pick ups and I "wish" we used him in the passing game where he's had some electric catch and runs in the past.

• Disp
  • Veteran
I've been watching a lot of games on NFL rewind the last couple weeks, and noticed Hunter got blown up a lot in the backfield from unblocked rushers beating their blocker, or just a missed block from the offensive line. Gore seems to get blown up in the backfield because he waits for the blocks to open a hole, where Hunter usually just waits for his lead blocker to create a crease. Hunter had very few negative plays that were directly his fault though which is pretty interesting.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 8, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
My hope is that, at least by next season, Hyde and Lattimore will start together in the backfield. Hunter can still be the HB backup.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My hope is that, at least by next season, Hyde and Lattimore will start together in the backfield. Hunter can still be the HB backup.

this is what I want.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

Bruce Miller tho.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Role in the future?

Rehab
Share 49ersWebzone