LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

kendall hunter's role in the future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Disp:
The average starting back in the league is about 10 lbs. heavier, around 210. Not a huge difference especially considering Hunter's only 5'7". If Lesean McCoy, Jamaal Charles. C.J. Spiller, etc. can have success as the primary ball carrier I don't see why Hunter can't. Gore isn't exactly a bulldozer; he just follows his blockers and has great vision.

I think so too. Going into training camp, I think Hunter is the best overall back on the team. That could change by opening day or in the season, but he is a good at everything the team asks the RB's to do.

Right and C.J hasn't been the primary ball carrier and has been hurt and Charles has been hurt as well. I don't see Hunter as the primary back when you have Hyde/lattimore who are bigger and younger. I like all 3 and hope the best man gets the job. What's wrong with playing all 3 next year?

Big backs don't get hurt too, or what? Getting injured has nothing to do with size.

So your saying Hunter should be the #1 and get 20 touches a game?? and yes size plays a big factor for a running back who deals with getting tackled and blocking all game( absorbing all those hits). I like Hunter no doubt, he is a good change-of-pace-back, if the 49ers thought he was gonna be the "bell-cow" back they wouldn't have drafted Hyde in the 2nd. Hunter's role shouldn't change this season and I hope they do resign him. He isn't a 3 down back though.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
the two kids have proved nothing so far. hunter is a proven back running, catching,, blocking,, special teams both tackling and he can return kicks if need be. that is a pretty big body of work. james is the odd man out here esp if our rookie can return kicks and punts. hunter is not exactly setting around playing checkers thinking he has a spot locked up. i am shocked some people are not trying to invent holes in hunters game like they are with vernon.. when people want someone gone from the niners that is usually the pattern

Who wants Davis gone? Crazy talk.
[ Edited by Phil on Jun 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Phil:
the two kids have proved nothing so far. hunter is a proven back running, catching,, blocking,, special teams both tackling and he can return kicks if need be. that is a pretty big body of work. james is the odd man out here esp if our rookie can return kicks and punts. hunter is not exactly setting around playing checkers thinking he has a spot locked up. i am shocked some people are not trying to invent holes in hunters game like they are with vernon.. when people want someone gone from the niners that is usually the pattern

Who wants Davis gone? Crazy talk.

Right?! I want VD to retire a niner and I would like Hunter to stay with the team just not as a 3 down back
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Kendall Hunter is the best RB on our roster if 100% healthy.....

Flame away.....

why should you get flamed.. i have always said he is our best player on offense that no one talks about

Thanks CC....
yes he can be a starter, yes he can and has contributed for this team running the ball, blocking, catching the ball, special teams. nothing i have seen from him has made me change my mind. he will have a good year for all those reasons i just mentioned and he will get a modest contract extension. he just needs a chance to start which of course is difficult due to the big man in front of him. however he has never b***hed or moaned about, he has just taken advantage when given the chance and has become a solid reliable special teams man which is still something we are waiting for james to do

I think he's too small to start, but it's not his size I guess, he has to show more of an ability to break tackles and finish off runs for extra yardage, putting his head down and driving thru people. Sure he looks good on occasions when he's getting a sweep or draw play called for him and he's in open space, but I don't see where you guys think he can get it done on every down.
hes the same size as maurice jones drew and ray rice and is one of the p4p strongest players on this team in the weight room. hes never had a chance to be the primary back but in his limited role hes shown hes more than competent.
Why are ya'll so obsessed with this topic. Our running backs and depth at that position are the LEAST of my concerns. Hell, I'd be comfortable with Kevan Barlow behind that O-Line.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
hes the same size as maurice jones drew and ray rice and is one of the p4p strongest players on this team in the weight room. hes never had a chance to be the primary back but in his limited role hes shown hes more than competent.

Rice and MJD have those tree trunk legs though.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

Hunter is about 2 inches shorter and 10lbs lighter than both
But he is for sure faster
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So your saying Hunter should be the #1 and get 20 touches a game?? and yes size plays a big factor for a running back who deals with getting tackled and blocking all game( absorbing all those hits). I like Hunter no doubt, he is a good change-of-pace-back, if the 49ers thought he was gonna be the "bell-cow" back they wouldn't have drafted Hyde in the 2nd. Hunter's role shouldn't change this season and I hope they do resign him. He isn't a 3 down back though.

I would be fine seeing what he could do with 20 carries a game. As for the bolded, yes they drafted a good RB in the 2'nd round. They also drafted an ILB in the 3'rd despite having the 2 best ILB's in the league.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
yes he can be a starter, yes he can and has contributed for this team running the ball, blocking, catching the ball, special teams. nothing i have seen from him has made me change my mind. he will have a good year for all those reasons i just mentioned and he will get a modest contract extension. he just needs a chance to start which of course is difficult due to the big man in front of him. however he has never b***hed or moaned about, he has just taken advantage when given the chance and has become a solid reliable special teams man which is still something we are waiting for james to do

I think he's too small to start, but it's not his size I guess, he has to show more of an ability to break tackles and finish off runs for extra yardage, putting his head down and driving thru people. Sure he looks good on occasions when he's getting a sweep or draw play called for him and he's in open space, but I don't see where you guys think he can get it done on every down.
well you asked my opinion. if the season started now he would be our number two back and that is not tragic at all. i also doubt he is going to relax thinking he has a spot locked up and will work hard to keep the two kids at bay,, as i said i think all four stick along with miller and james is sent packing
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Why are ya'll so obsessed with this topic. Our running backs and depth at that position are the LEAST of my concerns. Hell, I'd be comfortable with Kevan Barlow behind that O-Line.

i do not think this is the truth in regards to barlow
Obviously, our future running back situation is gonna be a committee. Lattimore, Hyde, James, and Hunter. Once Gore decides to actually become human and begin aging, and eventually retire a niner, I think Hunter is the lead man to take a majority of the reps With the rest of the guys scrapping it out for the remainder of snaps as well as power running/3rd down situations. its going to be exciting to see what transpires once Gore is out of the picture. Don't get me wrong though, Im not in a hurry to see a Gore-less 49ers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He's had a full season and off-season on his repaired achilles, he's in a contract year and he's got some tough young backs on the depth chart to push him. I think Hunter is going to have a great season doing what he's been doing since he got here . . . which is popping nice chunk plays in key situations and being a key special teams contributor.

of course this is the truth, they will keep gore and hunter, maybe the two kids though that is premature right now. james will not be on this team

Unfortunately that's how I see things Devloping too.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:

Its not a concern, we have an embarrassment of riches. We need to keep the right guys long term.

Thats why I think letting Hunter go would be a mistake.
Share 49ersWebzone